Schemes and Exercises

Been reading a WW2 novel today where they went on "a scheme" rather than "an exercise". Now my dad was in the Army in the 60s and always went away "on a scheme", but when I joined in the early 70s it was always "on exercise".

Anyone know when it changed?

Mighty; well observed my mum always used to talk about my dad going away 'on scheme'. That said, she used to refer to him as being a 'scheming bastard' on regular occasions too...

MightyGem said:
Been reading a WW2 novel today where they went on "a scheme" rather than "an exercise". Now my dad was in the Army in the 60s and always went away "on a scheme", but when I joined in the early 70s it was always "on exercise".

Anyone know when it changed?
Dunno exactly, I think it just evolved, when I joined in '69, ISTR the, then general, expression was going on scheme. Gradually as older soldiers disappeared, the terminology changed.
I suspect that it orignated from the many vast exercises that were more prevelant when the Army was so much larger.
On the other hand I may well be talking utter bollox(1)

(1) This phenomena is not entirely unknown.

During 40/50s I think it was manuvres

60/70s schemes

80> exercise.

I recall thre being a schemes troop for taking new bods on exercise at a training unit recently.

The ex Cav and tankies (same thing in my opinion) in the Corps used to call it 'scheme'.

In the Inf, we just used to call it 'getting fcuked about on Soltau/Sennelager/Hohne for 6 weeks at a time'.

As for the AAC, yep, just aggressive camping really.

I love the imagery conjured up by the term "aggressive camping".

I recall his lightweights were referred to as 'denims'
Probably because they were denim, rather than polyester. Just hasn't got the same ring to it really, has it? "I'll just put me polyesters on and get down the tank park". :D

Denims and lightweights were a completely different kettle of fish. Not to be confused with Trousers OG. IN HK we were issued with all 3. Dress regs were like a schemata for chinese fire drill.

Well, my first exercise with the AAC was certainly a holiday compared with that with the Engineers. When it got dark we went to bed, instead of going to work!! Not quite the same these days though.

You are correct, they were always called "schemes". I don't know why they were called "schemes" but they tended to last for ever; I think I remember an 8 week long scheme in Feb 74 on Soltau. God, it was cold. And never-ending. Perhaps that is why I "think" I remember it. :D

The highlight of the scheme was a 2 day visit to the delights of Rheinsehlen Camp.

Another scheme took us south of Alsfeld (I think) for well over 8 weeks; now that was a scheme, with the local population actually delighted to see us and sell us eggs and fruit without ripping us off!

Litotes

C

cloudbuster

First time I'd ever heard them being called 'schemes' was when a bloke from 4/7 DG (MG'll know him) joined the Sqn in the early 80's.

'Aggressive camping'

Classic

Ah Clod nice ta see ya still alive and squealing, in finest Swquark Tradition.
john
Birds and T urds Fly by Day
Bats an Tw ats by night

Trad REME saying
Anon.
Jock B ? Shirley not Billy, the archetypal Teeny Weeny Airways SSM.

C

cloudbuster

MG - Yes. Alzheimers?

Jon - No, not the Tartan Time Bandit, a different Jock, same timeframe, joined us as a meatbomb. All well in the exotic East?