Sceptic Election

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by fingers_1661, Nov 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I won't be alone in being fed up at being spoonfed every aspect of the American domestic election by media outlets for more than a year. Wouldn't it be easier to elect party leaders as a matter of course & hold elections 28 days after firing the starting gun as per the mother of all parliaments?
  2. You're fed up!

How do you think all of us on this side of the pond feel. A constant diet of political crap on every TV ststion, radio station and newspaper for the last two and a half years. We are all sick to death with political overkill and wish it was over. At my local tonight everyone was talking about which political ads were the worst. In addition to the presidential stuff that you are hearing about we have elections for US Senate and Congress, State Senate and Legislature, County Commissioners, County Treasurers, Sheriffs ...... the feckin list is endless. It does not make your news but we have to listen.

I was in Canada in early October and was jealous of the Canadians. The PM goes to the Governor General for Royal Assent and 6 weeks later the election is entirely over and done with. I describe this to friends here and they all wish we had the same way of doing elections with the only dissent saying maybe 10 or 12 weeks would allow a little more time.

(editied to add) Sorry for the rant. Rant's over now and I feel better.
  3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Well as the guy with the most money always wins, why not make it a competition to see who can raise the most cash in 28 days - then give the proceeds to charity :?
  4. Yeah, 'coz our method has done such a bang up job of providing representative and accountable government...
  5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

At least they came cheap :wink:
  6. Man cannot live by bread alone.
  7. According to my old geography teacher you get all you need daily with fish and chips twice a day and six pints of decent beer.

Sorry off thread there.

The way to do it is to limit the spending to an agreed amount possibly paid for by central govt. and a term 10 weeks should do.
    Mind after a year of the candidates on the box at least we know them down to their sock colour.
  8. Hmmm, a government that is representative and accountable?... :?
  9. Well, it is over and Obama did it! What a wondrous nation is America.