Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scart to HDMI

My previous "smart" TV had a composite video connector and plugging in my very old Sony Freeview recorder with a Scart to Composite gave a brilliant picture.
My new "smart" TV doesn't have a composite connector, just HDMI.
Now, the picture is very, very dark with a Scart to HDMI converter . Even changing the settings to the highest brightness and altering every setting I can think of and it still comes out very dark.

I don't want to get rid of the recorder because, even though it's over 25 years old and doesn't pick up HD channels (because they weren't invented then) it has a fabulous editing facility and I can get rid of adverts, change titles and so on.

Is there a decent Scart to HDMI out there? I put a normal Scart in to start and I could barely see the ;picture. I've changed the Scart lead several times and, with a gold plated one, can get a picture that's watchable but the blacks seem to overcome all the other colours. The adaptor I bought has a switch for changing from 720 to 1080 but doesn't appear to make any difference.

Shame as the composite lead was great but the HDMI comes out pretty crap.

Any recommendations for something that will actually work?

Tell me about it.
I want to use my laptop as a live monitor for my digital camera'
After buying three leads and downloading shed loads of software, i still cannot use it .
Someone out there on arrse must have the awnser.

My camera has an hdmi output.
I just want to use an external pc/tv as a monitor.
Have tried for ages. I may just be the thickest **** on the planet.

TamH70

MIA
My previous "smart" TV had a composite video connector and plugging in my very old Sony Freeview recorder with a Scart to Composite gave a brilliant picture.
My new "smart" TV doesn't have a composite connector, just HDMI.
Now, the picture is very, very dark with a Scart to HDMI converter . Even changing the settings to the highest brightness and altering every setting I can think of and it still comes out very dark.

I don't want to get rid of the recorder because, even though it's over 25 years old and doesn't pick up HD channels (because they weren't invented then) it has a fabulous editing facility and I can get rid of adverts, change titles and so on.

Is there a decent Scart to HDMI out there? I put a normal Scart in to start and I could barely see the ;picture. I've changed the Scart lead several times and, with a gold plated one, can get a picture that's watchable but the blacks seem to overcome all the other colours. The adaptor I bought has a switch for changing from 720 to 1080 but doesn't appear to make any difference.

Shame as the composite lead was great but the HDMI comes out pretty crap.

Any recommendations for something that will actually work?

Okay, small problem. What adapter do you currently use so that I don't waste time recommending something that's already proven to be crap?

My Google-Fu/Bing-Fu works best when I can use good input data for the searches.

Your new TV has an aerial input.

Your AV Recorder has an aerial input and output. Output usually Ch.38, but adjustable. Worked pre-scart

Aerial - AV Rec - TV

Try it

I did this a while ago. I took the route of SCART to RCA adapter - RCA to HDMI adapter.

This was a few years back, not sure how the newer HDMI adapters with updated standards will work.

I've changed the Scart lead several times and, with a gold plated one, can get a picture that's watchable but the blacks seem to overcome all the other colours. The adaptor I bought has a switch for changing from 720 to 1080 but doesn't appear to make any difference.

If you are absolutely positive that the SCART to HDMI adaptor is working correctly ... (hard to ascertain, I know ... does someone you know have similar setup where you can test it out?)

SCART carries both composite video and a better RGB set of signals. Apparently some HDMI adapters will use the former, some the latter, and this will result in differences in behaviour. (If memory serves, the latter is better?)

If you are sure about the adaptor...

First, reset TV contrast/brightness back to defaults/normal.

Some TVs have separate sets of settings for each input ...

Check the input/video settings for the HDMI input you've got it plugged in to. Is there a setting called "mode selection", and does it have options like "PC MODE" and "HDTV" or something like that? See if switching between those options (and any others available) helps. (Should unfortunately also be noted that some TVs only have some options available on certain HDMI inputs, not all of them, so you might need to re-arrange cables around the back.)

Is there a setting for something called "gamma"? If so, see what options there are under there.

Check the output settings for the Sony Freeview box. It might have similar options: PC/TEXT or PICTURE, etc.

Thanks for all the advice. The one I have is this one

1598510884311.png

So probably a generic type of Chinese crap with the name Keyixing.
Will try some of the ways to get around it.
I do use the TV aerial for normal Freeview watching and it's fine, perfect picture etc. Just the stuff I record which has the Scart output.

Thanks for all the advice. The one I have is this one

View attachment 499964
So probably a generic type of Chinese crap with the name Keyixing.
Will try some of the ways to get around it.
I do use the TV aerial for normal Freeview watching and it's fine, perfect picture etc. Just the stuff I record which has the Scart output.

I'll check my stock, think I have some decent scart upscale units knocking about after an upgrade a while back.

The one I have is this one

Plenty like it on Amazon.co.uk ... seems to be a bit of a Marmite thing going on, people either love it, it works perfectly, or it was useless. Didn't see anything obvious in the Q&A sections (I only checked a couple) apart from the usual ... waggle the SCART connector to and fro, make sure it's firmly pushed in, make sure power supply in and active, etc. Aside from aforementioned hints above (check it's working on another system, TV HDMI input settings etc) don't know what else to suggest.

Mattb

LE
My camera has an hdmi output.
I just want to use an external pc/tv as a monitor.
Have tried for ages. I may just be the thickest **** on the planet.
If everything's working correctly, you should just be able to plug the camera directly in to a monitor and skip the computer entirely then.

Actingunpaid

Old-Salt
Had fun and games getting my original Xbox a scart to HDMI until I asked a techy.Most adapters only work on a specific task,games player,DVD player/recorder etc.Now Xbox works fine.

The problem is that both Scart and composite signals are fundamentally analog, while HDMI is fundamentally digital. Thus analog-digital conversion is required. If you use a simple/inexpensive converter, the performance of the ADC electronics is likely to be commensurate with cost. The better the ADC chipset, the better the outcome.

Maybe not the OP's bag, but I would suggest a proper AV amplifier/receiver and speakers, such as Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer etc. These have pretty damned good conversion and upscaling circuitry in them. I've no idea whether the European models still have Scart inputs, it was never a standard in N America. If so, all good. Scart in, HDMI out to TV. If not, next best would be component cables - there will be 5 cables, L/R audio and three for video. Last will be composite video. In a composite signal, all the video information has to be encoded onto a single cable and then decoded, the signal will be degraded as compared with keeping them separate. The Freeview box might not support that however.

The subject of AV amp/receivers is worthy of a thread in its own right, but you can pick them up used for not very much money. Or buy new and get the latest features. I think mine was $300 and about the same for the speaker set. It's considerably better than the TV's speakers, and upscales old movies to HD video. In fairness, it does a pretty good job of that.

You pays your money and takes your choice, like pretty much everything else in life. But the quality of the ADC conversion is the issue here.

The problem is that both Scart and composite signals are fundamentally analog, while HDMI is fundamentally digital. Thus analog-digital conversion is required. If you use a simple/inexpensive converter, the performance of the ADC electronics is likely to be commensurate with cost. The better the ADC chipset, the better the outcome.

Maybe not the OP's bag, but I would suggest a proper AV amplifier/receiver and speakers, such as Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer etc. These have pretty damned good conversion and upscaling circuitry in them. I've no idea whether the European models still have Scart inputs, it was never a standard in N America. If so, all good. Scart in, HDMI out to TV. If not, next best would be component cables - there will be 5 cables, L/R audio and three for video. Last will be composite video. In a composite signal, all the video information has to be encoded onto a single cable and then decoded, the signal will be degraded as compared with keeping them separate. The Freeview box might not support that however.

The subject of AV amp/receivers is worthy of a thread in its own right, but you can pick them up used for not very much money. Or buy new and get the latest features. I think mine was $300 and about the same for the speaker set. It's considerably better than the TV's speakers, and upscales old movies to HD video. In fairness, it does a pretty good job of that.

You pays your money and takes your choice, like pretty much everything else in life. But the quality of the ADC conversion is the issue here.

I used to be really into my hifI, but BC (Before Chair) I could never really afford the decent stuff, then AD (After Dismemberment) I had loads of compensation and spent a fortune on AV receiver, speakers, cables the lot. The trouble was I didn’t have the physical ability to set it all up myself.

If you are looking for a final result and can’t be arsed with the process I’d avoid such set ups. It really isn’t that expensive to upgrade your current kit, always plenty second hand.

If you need some decent advice look for Richer Sounds, I’ve always found them to be excellent.

anglo

LE
Tell me about it.
I want to use my laptop as a live monitor for my digital camera'
After buying three leads and downloading shed loads of software, i still cannot use it .
Someone out there on arrse must have the awnser.

simple explanation
The camera sensor converts light into an electrical signal and then signal processing converts this electrical signal into a video signal that is chop into sections , converted digital and stored on a SD card when you connect to a laptop vie the hdmi output, the laptop takes the digital from the SD card converts it back to a video signal and displays it on the laptop screen
In a modern camera I don't think you can get at the video signal before it goes to the SD card which would give you a continuos signal at the laptop screen, also the camera sensor is not designed to run continuously and would over heat and burn out

simple explanation
The camera sensor converts light into an electrical signal and then signal processing converts this electrical signal into a video signal that is chop into sections , converted digital and stored on a SD card when you connect to a laptop vie the hdmi output, the laptop takes the digital from the SD card converts it back to a video signal and displays it on the laptop screen
In a modern camera I don't think you can get at the video signal before it goes to the SD card which would give you a continuos signal at the laptop screen, also the camera sensor is not designed to run continuously and would over heat and burn out

That is incorrect.

Many modern mirrorless cameras are used for continuous display to a PC.