Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Armed_and_dangerous, May 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. this may seem as a silly question but ive been thinkin about joining the army, and as i have scarring on my forearms i wondered if this would be frowned upon.
    Again i know it may sound a bit silly but i am very self conscious of the scarring and sometimes avoid wearing t-shirts etc.

p.s does anybody know ne remedies to help reduce/fade scarring

2. Are the scars self-inflicted, or the result of an accident?
  3. Brutal: We are now in shirt-sleeve order (which is why the weather has just taken a turn for the worse... :lol: ) which means that our shirt sleeves are rolled up to just above the elbow. We will remain dressed like this until October. You don't have a choice in this matter so, either get used to your scars being on view or don't join up.

Gentle: Have you spoken to your doctor? If you can make the case that you want to join the Army but are worried that your scars might expose you to ridicule (and I can assure you that they won't), he might be able to arrange plastic surgery, or offer you advice on reduction measures.

4. No one's bothered about a little bit of scarring. That is, unless :

a. you are a girly
    b. the scar is in an amusing shape, such as a flacid John Thomas
    c. it spells out the phrase 'nob cheese'

In which case, you are likely to come in for some well-intentioned flack. That said, scarring in some regiments is taken into account by the promotion boards.
  5. What about some nice tattoos to cover 'em up with?
  6. You can't tattoo scared skin! Be very careful!
  7. a bit of both. i have previously had operations to have metal pins put in/taken out as a result of a broken arm. and as an imature child i burnt my arm with a lighter. (regretfully)
  8. One lad I knew turned up from training with several facial scars, from that he got a rep as being someone not to mess with when in fact he simply got beat silly whilst gobbing off on leave, nothing hard or clever there.

I did know another guy who had some horrendous scars on his arm, they were all slef inflicted, however they were the result of a drunken bet on what would inflict the worse damage, a knife or a broken glass which he had to prove of course
  9. Burnt arm don't worry about, the other, not an issue visual wise, however be prepared to answer questions on how and why, I have a deep scar in my leg from falling on a railing spike and the MO was worried about muscle damage and wheter I would be fit to enter training.
  10. I have tats on both arms, a scar where someone took a bash at me with an axe and loadsa little ones from barby the wire doll....

Dont worry about it, girls think its manly ;)
  11. Fair comment, bird. Didn't realise, sorry.
  12. Not true.

My tattooist does a roaring trade in "disguising" scars. he showed me the photos of one he did - a 16 year old got stabbed in the abdomen and had a scar, she was very self concious and never wore hipsters and cropped tops... he made it into a "rose on a stem" and now she wears bikinis and low riders etc... doesnt look like a scar at all now.

However - Tattoos on your lower arms can count against you if you ever wanted to become an officer. (standing by to be corrected - what i was told when i joined the army)

I now have a 6" scar on my shoulder from the bike crash - 12 months after the scar was made i can have it tattooed over. am getting it covered with a Triumph Logo and a DTG of the accident.

13. That sort of self-inflicted scar isnt an issue, we've all done stupid things in our youth. Its scars from self-harm/mutilation that would cause me concern.
    Exposure to the elements is probably the best way to get your scars to fade. As long as they're totally healed, its also worth giving them a regular scrub with a loofah or something similiar, then slap on a bit of hand-cream to moisturise the skin.
  14. Hmm, it's best not to expose them to too much sunlight as they aren't protected by as much melanin as unscarred skin so they will burn & that fecking hurts. For a cheap option try vitamin E oil, you can buy scar treatment stuff from chemists but much better (&cheaper) to get it on prescription from your GP who may even be able to refer you for plastic surgery (although beware lack of NHS funding for such ops). Scrubbing them won't make an iota of difference. If they are keloid (raised, red/purple scars) then your GP can definitely help. I'm proud of all of mine, they all tell a story!
  15. Been looking at a bit of research into this. I take back my sweeping statement with appologies, but still take some advice and be careful.

You'll need to work with the lines of your scars if you really want to tattoo them. I thought that you would have to be very careful with this- wait as long as you have and at least over a year to allow all the nerve endings to settle down. You might have to have a few goes at it as well- if the skin takes ink at all.

Rincewind, put a pick up when you have had the tattoo down, would be fascinating to see the before and after if you don't mind.