Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by just_me, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi I'm new to this forum and yes I used the search but I didnt find the answer I was looking for so:
    I'm applying for AFC Harrogate next year (Paras) and I about 4 years ago I cut myself on my arm. The scars are still there and although it was self inflicted it was just a stupid thing and I havent declared mentally ill or anything so will it cause a problem in the medical? It said somewhere if you're episode free for 3 years there's no problem and I've been 'episode free for 4 years' plus I have no record of mental illness. Problem or not? Thanks to all that reply.
  2. So you cut yourself?
    As long as you didnt go to the Doc or tell your Doc you self harmed you should be okay, just say you got it out running round the woods and caught your arms on a bit of wire/branch etc
    I have a big "war" scar on my arm from where i was in a knife fight with an SAS bloke, I won ( fell out of tree snapped my arm ) and i was fine. :)

3. It's more than one scar though. Would it still work if I said it was some sort of wire (barbed, razor)? If so, a few of my worries have been settled - it's not like I'm still doing it or have even felt an urge to and I'd hate to miss out on a miliatry career just for some stupid thing I did years ago.
  4. Depends if they recognise it as self-harming I guess. I'd go with the tree answer, could have been a couple of branches or something...?
  5. just say you got absolutely smashed drunk and woke up with the cuts
  6. How many? If it's a fair amount, and if they're thin scars (from a knife) then it's quite obvious what you've done mate..
    There's this lass in my year, who you wouldn't think of as a self-harmer, and she has the tell tale signs of emo stabbage on her arm! Not good..
  7. Edit: double post
  8. whoops double post
  9. If you didn't go to the Dr about it at the time then it won't be on your med docs so you could say it was caused by whatever you want.

However, it would probably be best in the long run and tell them what happened. I don't know what sort of bars this could put on you joining up, but, if you've been "incident" free for 4 years then you might be OK.

The best thing you could do is ask at the AFCO for the definitive answer.
  10. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Try here or here or here or.....well you get the idea. It's been asked so often on here that I'm wondering if it shouldn't just be added to the joining requirements to have a criss-crossed arm?
  11. Welcome to the site, JM, but you opened with an interesting choice of words....

I searched for "self AND harm AND medical" and found 20 topics, most of which provide additional information to your question.

Those topics might not provide the answer for which you were searching, but they do indicate that the Army is very careful about recruiting someone with that background. However, I am neither a recruiter nor a doctor, so you might wish to wait until someone like The_Iron turns up.

12. I realise there are a few topics on scarring and the like but all of these have been made by people who have seen a doctor and been treated for depression while I have not. I'm thinking about just coming clean with it because the last thing I want is to be profiled as a liar in the army but I'd also like to know what consequences telling the truth could have to a career in the army. If you think The_Iron can help could somebody mention this topic to him/her when you next see them on a recent post?
  13. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Drop him a PM. He's off in a sandy place at the moment but is still here on a fairly regular (ish) basis so should get back to you quite soon.
  14. Just say you burnt it on an oven, I've got a couple faint ones on my forearm that are close together, and one might say it looked like knife marks, but they are from my old job of being a chef and going for the short sleeve chef whites option!
  15. Post a pic of it and i guarentee i can give you a clausable excuse for it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.