Scariest place in NI?

Brown moments are subjective. Coming round the corner to meet a bloke in a black balaclava collecting for the Ra in the middle of the road scared the shit out of me but probably shouldn’t have.
Didn't you have any loose change?

A possible IVCP close to Magherafelt many many moons ago. I don't know who was more surprised when we rounded the bend. What looked like an IRA team doing what could only be described as a propaganda photo shoot or the driver and commander of the CMV with a tooled up COP team in the back. Needless to say, they were ill prepared and we just booted through it and made the snap decision to GTF outta dodge as we couldn't see if there were cut offs deployed. All went well until we got back and the Remington man decided to have an ND just narrowly missing two of the team. There were certainly crimp marks on the front seats of the van.
You sure it wasn’t the local PT UDR or the RUC?

Be fair, they were Corps not quite the same thing as PBI.
I was PBI, didn’t stop me feeling exposed when I did my one man patrol through Crossmaglen.

Summer ‘76 I was guard commander when the squalk box in guardroom bursts into life at about 0700 and the CSM is on the other end. There is an SAS OP on a house in the Monog - about ten minutes outside XMG - that think they’ve been compromised so a search team was being put in to cover their extraction. “Get your weapon, you’re guiding them in”

Short time later a Wessex lands and the search team de-bus. Dogs, WRACs the whole shebang. With them was the SAS liaison guy who I later find out was Robert Nairac. Off we pop to the Monog where he turns to me and says “thank you, you can go now”

So I make my way back trying to look like there are a whole bunch of us. CSM said he was laughing his cock off watching me crossing the square on CCTV.

HCL

LE
I was PBI, didn’t stop me feeling exposed when I did my one man patrol through Crossmaglen.

Summer ‘76 I was guard commander when the squalk box in guardroom bursts into life at about 0700 and the CSM is on the other end. There is an SAS OP on a house in the Monog - about ten minutes outside XMG - that think they’ve been compromised so a search team was being put in to cover their extraction. “Get your weapon, you’re guiding them in”

Short time later a Wessex lands and the search team de-bus. Dogs, WRACs the whole shebang. With them was the SAS liaison guy who I later find out was Robert Nairac. Off we pop to the Monog where he turns to me and says “thank you, you can go now”

So I make my way back trying to look like there are a whole bunch of us. CSM said he was laughing his cock off watching me crossing the square on CCTV.

Shouldn't laugh but that's what your tapes were for and you forgot, you ferkin what, sir?

Never even came close to Summat like that. Have a virtual beer on me.

Might not be Brazzaville, and admittedly most of us were bored rigid for much of our tours, but there was only one outcome for any squaddie falling into the wrong hands. e.g. The 3 x young RHF, the signals lads at the funeral.

I believe that the IRA is the only terrorist organisation in history known to have killed/murdered everyone it took as prisoners. Men, women and children...

I was posted here june 70 and still here thanks for enlightening me.
My first tour was 73 and several of my mates aren’t here. Neither are a lot of other squaddies. Unfortunately, they didn’t have yours or my luck.

I was posted here june 70 and still here thanks for enlightening me.

I now have a mental picture of you standing in a sangar at a long abandoned base somewhere like one of the Japanese lads after WW2.

Just out of interest, what colour was your underwear when you got back through the gates? :)

NuggetBks

On ROPS
On ROPs
Stumbled across this on the old GoogleTube this morning and had a chuckle.

If you can hack the accent it’s worth listening to this yarn.

Latest Threads