Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scariest place in NI?

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Last edited:

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I think there was probably a round robin of Stations holding the distinction as activity peaked and troughed.

In 3 West Belfast tours I can only recall New Barnsley being shot at once, Andytown Station I didn't have much dealings with.
Amazing how different tours are - and a great example of how no historian should rely on limited sources. Somebody was berating @Stonker the other day for referencing Afghanistan when he hadn't served there - what a joke. If the criteria for having an opinion was specific personal experience then there'd be almost no history and certainly no objective history!

Amazing how different tours are - and a great example of how no historian should rely on limited sources.

It is also a great example of how individuals should not think that what happened on their tours, happened on other tours, happened Province wide or indeed happened over long periods of time in different TAOR's.

Duffelcoats, so it was, back then, Shirley?

Ahhhh dufflecoats - Leads me nicely into and old joke.

Mick and Paddy rock up at a building site looking for work.

The Foremen meets then and tells them to take a seat and he will see them in 5 minutes.

A short time later the Foreman shouts '' First one in ye come '' Mick being the oldest goes in first.

The Foreman says ''Mick, give me a sentence containing the word fascinate and the jobs yours ''

Mick rattles out a sentence and bags a job.

He goes outside and young Paddy is visibly shaking. Mick grabs him and tells him to calm down, all he has to do is give the Foreman a sentence containing the word fascinate and he will have a job.

In Paddy goes, guts churning, to see the Foreman,

Foreman quickly asks Paddy to give him a sentence containing the word fascinate.

Young Paddy thinks for a minute, and then blurts out '' When I was younger I had a Duffel Coat, it had 10 buttons, but I could only fasten eight ''

He has been interviewed on several occasions about his role in Ballymurphy, if I am not wrong he may be the origin of the story of the skull being used as an ashtray, that was dismissed by other posters here in another thread.
The thread about that pretty much ignored what he actually wrote, which was that someone picked up a fragment of the skull and used it as an ashtray (i.e. stubbed a fag out on it). Somehow that turned into a fully gilded skull being set up as a permanent fixture in the discussion on here.

As to the new book (The Undercover War), full disclosure: I was involved on the editorial side, fact checking and liaising with the DSMA committee at the MOD about what could legally be published. I obviously can't speak to the accuracy of all the details in it, but everything I followed up checked out and SFHQ asked for a very large number of redactions (almost all of which were turned down). The DSMA were a surprisingly obliging body and were content to accept the rejection of the redactions if similar claims were already in the public domain.

I have no idea why a gent of his calibre would produce such 'Sun' levels of proported 'fact'. His legal practise must be experiencing lean Covid times.
If you only saw the serialisation in the Mail, bear in mind that the Mail rewrites the text to suit their own editorial tone. The content and tone of the book itself is much more restrained.

Last edited:
Fingers crossed it leads to conviction. Regardless of sentence implications, it will provide family's with long overdue answers and the deserving bastards involved will formally gain the title of murderer for the rest of their lives.

Covert, with a bloody grenade launcher? I'll have to check my dictionary for the meaning of 'covert' I think.
Back when I was a sproggy 2Lt in the late 80s, one of the Section Commanders in our platoon's TAC had done a few years in the Regulars. He got sent off to COP Platoon shortly after getting to the battalion; the one photo he had of himself from his regular days in the early 80s, was as a teenager clutching an M79 in a hide somewhere.

Anyway, fast forward to TELIC; he gets mobilised for TELIC 3 into our regular battalion, to be CO's driver. Except they've already got a CO's driver, so they pack him off to the Recce Platoon - twenty years after he left it. Nothing to do in his downtime, so he just hits the gym every day. Comes back a (racing snake) shadow of his former self, having reached the point where he's beating some of the young recce soldiers at the phys stuff...

Truly steady bloke, and a classic "underpromoted Corporal" (we had a few of those).

You must have figured out by now that I was Lowland Brigade - same mob as @Auld-Yin, next-door to @Busterdog (them that celebrates Minden Day) and @pimpernel (them that torched 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue)...

... you know, the Right of the Line, reckoned that the Foot Guards were a bit nouveau arriviste... 8)
Don't ever doubt I coulda worked it out.

At the same time, don't misoverestimate my lack of curiosity :-D

Last edited:
Fingers crossed it leads to conviction. Regardless of sentence implications, it will provide family's with long overdue answers and the deserving bastards involved will formally gain the title of murderer for the rest of their lives.
The problem is that is just a badge of honour for the Republicans. You have just got to look at the thread about the Anglo-Irish War of Independence. Every day the IRA were murdering Irish Catholic policemen from the RIC, in front of their families at home and while they were in church. They were also involved in the ethnic cleansing of Southern Protestants.

These same IRA men went on to be government ministers, TD's and senior positions in the Guarda and Army. And awarded State pensions on account of their service in the IRA. Murderers such as Tom Barry and Dan Breen are idolised in the Republic's history as being 'heroes of the revolution'.

The thread about that pretty much ignored what he actually wrote, which was that someone picked up a fragment of the skull and used it as an ashtray (i.e. stubbed a fag out on it). Somehow that turned into a fully gilded skull being set up as a permanent fixture in the discussion on here.

As to the new book (The Undercover War), full disclosure: I was involved on the editorial side, fact checking and liaising with the DSMA committee at the MOD about what could legally be published. I obviously can't speak to the accuracy of all the details in it, but everything I followed up checked out and SFHQ asked for a very large number of redactions (almost all of which were turned down). The DSMA were a surprisingly obliging body and were content to accept the rejection of the redactions if similar claims were already in the public domain.

If you only saw the serialisation in the Mail, bear in mind that the Mail rewrites the text to suit their own editorial tone. The content and tone of the book itself is much more restrained.

What does this book cover that previous books do not,

Archie

Latest Threads