Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scariest place in NI?

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Anyone remember the CLF mid 90s? A short Guards officer with an even shorter ADC! I heard a story of a Staffy being jailed in Lisburn for not saluting his helo. Don't know if it was true or not but when he visited our Squadron you'd have thought God himself was coming.
Yeah, he was a miserable bastard and not above wandering around Thiepval hoping to catch the picquet - or the chunks on the gate or the UDR - out. There was an incident, I dimly recall, something to do with wanting to inspect the dog pound, behind the guard room, but I misremember the details.

This would have been '94 or '95 when things were overtly quiet and what was happening in the Province was mainly behind closed doors and didn't involve the Army that much. It must have been a very frustrating time to be CLF.

Didn't 3 RGJ have a painting commissioned by T.C. showing the gun battle? I remember seeing a copy of the painting in the 1RNZIR Sgts Mess in Dieppe Barracks, Singapore in 1986 of all places. I think they were affiliated with 3RGJ at the time.
3 RGJ tour that year didn't start until August and in any event was responsible for a different TAOR. 1 RGJ went to the Andersonstown TAOR that year, but I don't have the dates to hand - but pretty sure they were not involved either.
Didn't 3 RGJ have a painting commissioned by T.C. showing the gun battle? I remember seeing a copy of the painting in the 1RNZIR Sgts Mess in Dieppe Barracks, Singapore in 1986 of all places. I think they were affiliated with 3RGJ at the time.
3RGJ were not in NI at the time. Their tour in 72 didn't start until August. 1 RGJ did go to Andersontown but I am pretty sure they took no part either. The Cuneo painting is Leeson Street 1971, however there was another painting by Christopher Miers in a series called A Soldiers View - Miers was commissioned into the KRRC and I recall him from our UN tour in Cyprus where he also painted aspects of the 1967 conflict at Kophinou. He is a very decent fellow who commanded 4RGJ and I believe his work hangs in the Imperial War Museum, the House of Commons and is also owned by the Sultan of Oman.

Anyone remember the CLF mid 90s? A short Guards officer with an even shorter ADC! I heard a story of a Staffy being jailed in Lisburn for not saluting his helo. Don't know if it was true or not but when he visited our Squadron you'd have thought God himself was coming.
I had the same from an RCT Half Colonel on an AMFL exercise in Denmark in the late '70s. Rifted me rigid for not saluting his land rover. Apparently, he had put on Part 1s in Tidworth that he had noticed other ranks were not saluting his wife as she drove around camp in her civvie car and they should jolly well start doing it!

Recently read a little about the Derryard Attack. Did PIRA use flamethrowers at any other incidents?
I believe that they filmed some 'patrols' in the late '80s in which the weapons shown included a flamethrower. Whilst I remember mention of a flamethrower in threat briefings prior to Derryard, I don't recall any other incident where one was actually used (although the 1990 dhsk attack at Coalisland which ended badly for a number of them may have featured a flamethrower in the tipper truck that was used.).

I believe that they filmed some 'patrols' in the late '80s in which the weapons shown included a flamethrower. Whilst I remember mention of a flamethrower in threat briefings prior to Derryard, I don't recall any other incident where one was actually used (although the 1990 dhsk attack at Coalisland which ended badly for a number of them may have featured a flamethrower in the tipper truck that was used.).

Thanks mate. Just genuinely suprised when i read that they used one.

I had the same from an RCT Half Colonel on an AMFL exercise in Denmark in the late '70s. Rifted me rigid for not saluting his land rover. Apparently, he had put on Part 1s in Tidworth that he had noticed other ranks were not saluting his wife as she drove around camp in her civvie car and they should jolly well start doing it!
He would have been CO Log Sp Bn AMF(L), a tied RCT post (in Bulford, not Tidworth). CO in 1980 was one Tony Whittall who later drowned in Africa (?) saving someone in heavy surf. We knew him as 'The Maltese Falcon' but it was probably his predecessor that wanted his wife saluting!

Maj Gen Anthony de Cambourne Lowther Leask (Late SG) is your man I think.

Lives about 3 miles from me - quite far enough.

He would have been CO Log Sp Bn AMF(L), a tied RCT post (in Bulford, not Tidworth). CO in 1980 was one Tony Whittall who later drowned in Africa (?) saving someone in heavy surf. We knew him as 'The Maltese Falcon' but it was probably his predecessor that wanted his wife saluting!
This character was definitely around in 1980, as he was on Exercise Coldwinter in Norway in January. It must have been the same guy as I remember hanging around Brighton Station about 1982/83 time waiting for Madame mnairb to come back from London and flicked through a copy of Soldier magazine in Smiths and saw his mug staring back at me with the report on his death. He was, apparently, Defence Attache in (I think) Gambia, or one of those West African countries beginning with G!

This character was definitely around in 1980, as he was on Exercise Coldwinter in Norway in January. It must have been the same guy as I remember hanging around Brighton Station about 1982/83 time waiting for Madame mnairb to come back from London and flicked through a copy of Soldier magazine in Smiths and saw his mug staring back at me with the report on his death. He was, apparently, Defence Attache in (I think) Gambia, or one of those West African countries beginning with G!
That's him then. I do remember him as a bit of a terror but then I was only a 19 year old 2Lt!

Maj Gen Anthony de Cambourne Lowther Leask (Late SG) is your man I think.

Lives about 3 miles from me - quite far enough.
I think he died a couple of years ago, too soon to see the swanky new garage at the entrance to the village. ;)

I think he died a couple of years ago, too soon to see the swanky new garage at the entrance to the village. ;)
I didn't know him but saw that he lived in Stibb Green. It's a nice garage actually - friendly staff and excellent stock, a real change from the tip that was there previously.

I didn't know him but saw that he lived in Stibb Green. It's a nice garage actually - friendly staff and excellent stock, a real change from the tip that was there previously.
Passed that way a couple of months ago and as you say the sort of facility the village needed

James907

On ROPS
On ROPs
South Armagh I'm guessing. Derry could be dangerous as well I'm guessing. But all of Northern Ireland then. Now Northern Ireland is **** all to be frightened of.

Thanks mate. Just genuinely suprised when i read that they used one.
The Derryard attack did seem to involve much of the stuff the Libyans had sent them that they could find no other use for, including the DHsK and the flame throwers.

There was a suspicion that the Libyan Armed Forces took the opportunity to offload a pile of stuff they didn't need when the Colonel ordered them to supply the Provos. Gear like the DHsK might have looked good in propaganda videos (and they didn't always end well as mentioned above) but weren't really the kind of armaments that a small terrorist group really needed, and I dare say Qaddafi's men would have appreciated them a decade or two later.

As I recall the Provos did use a slurry tanker as a makeshift flamethrower at one stage, without success.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
The Derryard attack did seem to involve much of the stuff the Libyans had sent them that they could find no other use for, including the DHsK and the flame throwers.

There was a suspicion that the Libyan Armed Forces took the opportunity to offload a pile of stuff they didn't need when the Colonel ordered them to supply the Provos. Gear like the DHsK might have looked good in propaganda videos (and they didn't always end well as mentioned above) but weren't really the kind of armaments that a small terrorist group really needed, and I dare say Qaddafi's men would have appreciated them a decade or two later.

As I recall the Provos did use a slurry tanker as a makeshift flamethrower at one stage, without success.
Yeah, the Baruki Sangar incident in XMG. Say this for the South Armagh Brigade, they were pretty good engineers and had some very bright ideas.

As to DShK and the like, pintle mounting on lorry flatbeds in the anti-helicopter role seemed like a sensible use for them.

Latest Threads