Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scariest place in NI?

I have an academic/historical interest in the institution around that point in time. Probably not for public consumption. Of course, it was a school with many different purposes - most of them pretty tough.
I remember providing enemy for that place in the early 80s!

Couldn't you have just told him that the upper flange gusset gasket had been overheating?

Good idea but not really.

What happened was I'd decided to get my Commercial licence with a view to going Civpop within the next few years. This meant getting down to Lisburn to fill out the paperwork to get the army to pay for my correspondence course - no problem, I'm down there all the time anyway.

That afternoon call AAC ops and ask what I've got the next day "GOC, pick-up 1030". Great, call the Educators in Lisburn and make an appointment for 0900. Next day off I pop, do the business and I'm standing by my Gz by 1015. 1020 comes along and no bodyguard present yet, a bit strange but not my worry. 1025 the 'phone on the tree (yes really) rings and I answer, it's AAC ops.

"Who's that?"

"Mr Beefer"

"Why are you in Lisburn?"

"To pick-up the GOC"

"He's not there, he's here"

"Where?"

"Here, he's visiting the regiment today and he's standing outside with the CO waiting for you to pick him up"

"F*ck"

Drops phone, dashes to Gz and does a "quick-start" takes off and straps in as I pass 500 feet. Call Aldergrove ATC and request "Operational urgent clearance inbound direct to dispersal" which was granted.

When we settled down on our way to Derry the GOC says "The buggers sent you to Lisburn didn't they?" In all fairness I couldn't drop several people in the sh1t so I said "no Sir, but I went there anyway"

He just nodded. Good guy...

What have you got against mice? Would you prefer 'Ulster Impressions' by the (rather oddly named) Joan Wanklyn?

View attachment 507936
Suitable design for an army-barmy teenager's duvet cover.

Why the fvck every HQ I ever went to felt obliged to keep these daubists off the dole queue, I have never fathomed. I saw more artistic talent being displayed by the guaranteed O-Level exam failures in my fourth form art class.

Good idea but not really.

What happened was I'd decided to get my Commercial licence with a view to going Civpop within the next few years. This meant getting down to Lisburn to fill out the paperwork to get the army to pay for my correspondence course - no problem, I'm down there all the time anyway.

That afternoon call AAC ops and ask what I've got the next day "GOC, pick-up 1030". Great, call the Educators in Lisburn and make an appointment for 0900. Next day off I pop, do the business and I'm standing by my Gz by 1015. 1020 comes along and no bodyguard present yet, a bit strange but not my worry. 1025 the 'phone on the tree (yes really) rings and I answer, it's AAC ops.

"Who's that?"

"Mr Beefer"

"Why are you in Lisburn?"

"To pick-up the GOC"

"He's not there, he's here"

"Where?"

"Here, he's visiting the regiment today and he's standing outside with the CO waiting for you to pick him up"

"F*ck"

Drops phone, dashes to Gz and does a "quick-start" takes off and straps in as I pass 500 feet. Call Aldergrove ATC and request "Operational urgent clearance inbound direct to dispersal" which was granted.

When we settled down on our way to Derry the GOC says "The buggers sent you to Lisburn didn't they?" In all fairness I couldn't drop several people in the sh1t so I said "no Sir, but I went there anyway"

He just nodded. Good guy...
I well remember the 'phone in the tree!

Mike Barton

On ROPS
On ROPs
This may well have been posted before, apologies if it has. I think the date's wrong perhaps @Kinch can confirm. I think it is from during the Battle of Lenadoon, when the first ceasefire broke down, mid July 1972 I think.

I think we can pass over the 10 snipers hit claim without comment (although one PIRA gunman was killed elsewhere in Belfast).

This may well have been posted before, apologies if it has. I think the date's wrong perhaps @Kinch can confirm. I think it is from during the Battle of Lenadoon, when the first ceasefire broke down, mid July 1972 I think.

I think we can pass over the 10 snipers hit claim without comment (although one PIRA gunman was killed elsewhere in Belfast).

I think it was around 14 July. The episode began about five days earlier when housing allocation had been made to Catholic families, but because of threats from Loyalists, the army prevented the Catholic families from moving in. Seamus Twomey, PIRA Belfast Brigade commander considered the army's position to be a breach of the ceasefire and ordered his ASU's to respond. The gun-battle went on for hours.
Some contemporary photographs attached.
Another IRA man at Lenadoon.jpg
IRA man at Lenadoon July 1972.jpg
Lenadoon after the battle.jpg
Same guy after shooting started.jpg

Mike Barton

On ROPS
On ROPs
I think it was around 14 July. The episode began about five days earlier when housing allocation had been made to Catholic families, but because of threats from Loyalists, the army prevented the Catholic families from moving in. Seamus Twomey, PIRA Belfast Brigade commander considered the army's position to be a breach of the ceasefire and ordered his ASU's to respond. The gun-battle went on for hours.
Some contemporary photographs attached.View attachment 508008View attachment 508009View attachment 508010View attachment 508011
Was Twomey not just looking for the excuse to end the ceasefire? He had everyone lined up and ready for when the shooting would start knowing that the Army would behave exactly as they did.

Some contemporary photographs attached.View attachment 508008View attachment 508009View attachment 508010View attachment 508011
Didn't 3 RGJ have a painting commissioned by T.C. showing the gun battle? I remember seeing a copy of the painting in the 1RNZIR Sgts Mess in Dieppe Barracks, Singapore in 1986 of all places. I think they were affiliated with 3RGJ at the time.

1025 the 'phone on the tree (yes really) rings and I answer, it's AAC ops.
The phone on the tree by the helipad at Lisburn was there between 1973 and 1976. One day I turned up at the helipad for the round robin ADS flight 10 minutes before the flight to find the Pilot and Scout helicopter already sitting there on the pad closed down.Normally they came from the resident AAC Sqn in Aldergrove or sometimes the one at the Maze.

Biggles gave me the thumbs up and I bimbled forward and got in, checking with the pilot who was a sergeant (no Cpl pilots then) that I was on the right aircraft.

While the pilot was going through his start up, chocks away drills we noticed a young civy female standing by the tree with the phone attached, wearing a skirt. I think she was one of the local girls who worked in HQNI. I didn't see the evil glint in Sgt Biggles eyes, but I could imagine it. As the rotor blades gained full power the girls skirt flew up towards her head. Unfortunately she didn't go 'commando' but she was wearing the full gear. Sgt Biggles commented on the nice view which I had to agree, was indeed nice.

He kept it in a low hover a few feet off the ground while she was desperately trying to pull her skirt back down with no success until Sgt Biggles decided to call it a day and we flew away off into the wild blue yonder.

Last edited:
The phone on the tree by the helipad at Lisburn was there between 1973 and 1976. One day I turned up at the helipad for the round robin ADS flight 10 minutes before the flight to find the Pilot and Scout helicopter already sitting there on the pad closed down.Normally they came from the resident AAC Sqn in Aldergrove or sometimes the one at the Maze.
It was still there in 1988, believe me.

Just noticed the distinctive house render on the second from the bottom picture .
is that what is known as Beirut finish, as opposed to Barra shell.?

Anyone remember the CLF mid 90s? A short Guards officer with an even shorter ADC! I heard a story of a Staffy being jailed in Lisburn for not saluting his helo. Don't know if it was true or not but when he visited our Squadron you'd have thought God himself was coming.

It was still there in 1988, believe me.
The grouping isn't bad for Rick O'Chet. Pleased to see that they missed the windows though.
Getting a glazier at that time was like finding rocking horse shit.

View attachment 508168
View attachment 508168

Not too hot today either:

Screenshot (116).png

The tree has gone, but there is still cabling from the phone by the tree stump. There is also a phone on the wall of the MQ garages backing onto Knox Rd carpark, which is still there.
There used to be a small concrete plinth next to the tree for the fire extinguisher and the Hele-Tele jig when Lynx came in.

Wee Hawken

Swinger
Didn't 3 RGJ have a painting commissioned by T.C. showing the gun battle? I remember seeing a copy of the painting in the 1RNZIR Sgts Mess in Dieppe Barracks, Singapore in 1986 of all places. I think they were affiliated with 3RGJ at the time.
R Coy 3 RGJ's Cuneo picture was "The Leeson Street Patrol" from 1971. See post 1559 above (and take a good look for the mouse...)

Latest Threads