Scariest place in NI?

Look at that period and how many Catholic Teens were killed as well. Soft targets killed in retaliation.

Joking aside; 1973 : soldiers died on an almost-daily basis, especially March -May time
1972, one soldier dead every 2.5 days on average over the year. It was the worst year for army fatalities.
ETA recent file releases from Kew show that the CGS was of the opinion that we were losing in 1972.

The scariest present place in NI is now Whitehall. The new Head of MI6 is the Grandson of Cork IRA man Jack Buckley - a veteran of the War of Independence. Now that's what I call a 'sleeper'.

The scariest present place in NI is now Whitehall. The new Head of MI6 is the Grandson of Cork IRA man Jack Buckley - a veteran of the War of Independence. Now that's what I call a 'sleeper'.
Is he connected with that nice Mr Lord Lebedev? I must research this...

Mmmm. I bet the Jews are involved, too...
Can't beat Biden's possible running mate - she is BAME, Female of course, and has no legs - having lost them when her choper was hit in Afghanistan. She is also a Congresswoman. She apparently made a comment that some statues in the US should be taken down and when a Republican Congressman called her 'unpatriotic' she replied with "You walk a mile on my legs and we'll see just how patriotic you are" - tough lady......but, she isn't gay????

Back to the 'scoop' - bound to be Russians, Jews, BAMEs, Trans and a few Irish to blame - bet the lad is good.

Last edited:
I like the potential running mate for Biden (who is a dick of the first water as far as I'm concerned, but it's not my fight). She has balls. I like balls.

But... Whitehall? Yes. Johnson seems to have bought into the perception that successful British Premiers must be devious, untrustworthy and treacherous, while blaring to the public what they want to hear, although the welfare of those who vote for him, and all those who don't, is secondary. It's a very long tradition. Defence? Law and Order? Haw, haw, haw.

And Ireland? A transitory issue, of interest only to the ugly little people living there. What's important is the innately heroic Statue which the little people will bestow upon my demise. Haw, haw, haw.

Admittedly, not a few recent Premiers have thought this way. No, Just a few, and all dicks. That's you, Blair.

Apologies for ranting. Recent political activity actually leads me to think that some of the Northern Irish leadership is more capable than much of the Westminster crew. I know; I'm sorry.

Forgive me, but I found this headline in the Belfast Telegraph today amusing:
Unionist councillors in East Belfast have hit out at claims Roselawn cemetery and crematorium is a "cold house" for Catholics,
Hot and cold, I'd say. Irony is dead in Northern Ireland.

South Armagh in 1987 as the ARB: The scariest place for those of us who were junior commanders at the time was Bessbrook Mill - that's where the CO and the Adjt were! I was always more on edge hard-targeting around Slipper City avoiding them than I was when out patrolling in Forkhill and its TAOR.

FYI: Gerry Fitt served as MN stoker on the Norrh Atlantic convoys. He had an older brother who was killed during the Battle of the Bulge - Irish Guards, I think. My uncle (ex Skins, O'Neillite Unionist) knew him from years of being on Belfast City Council: rated him as a decent bloke - good company over a glass or two despite political disagreements.
My Grandfather (also ex-Skins) knew Gerry Fitt, and rated him as basically a good egg, despite my Grandfather being Jim Kilfedder's election agent! (UUP)

My mate's late father would have had a jar or two with Gerry in The Ambassador Hotel on the Antrim Road (now a nursing home I think).

My Grandfather (also ex-Skins) knew Gerry Fitt, and rated him as basically a good egg, despite my Grandfather being Jim Kilfedder's election agent! (UUP)

My mate's late father would have had a jar or two with Gerry in The Ambassador Hotel on the Antrim Road (now a nursing home I think).
NI politics is a bit of a pantomime and always has been. My father came to pick me up at Aldergrove once during the renovations for the current arrival area setup. Some of you may recall that there was temporarily a long, thin, downward sloped corridor to traverse to get from the gate to baggage pick up. It was sheltered from view from nearly all directions. I flew in from the Midlands and as usual the arrival before us was the Heathrow flight. My Dad watched our then MP's walk down this corridor, out of sight of the voters, joshing and getting on like boarding school pupils going home. The instant they thought they could be seen, they all transformed to having faces like the proverbial Lurgan spade.

Latest Threads