Scariest place in NI?

View attachment 488775

This groundbreaking book is the first to detail, with startling new revelations, just how integral the Republic of Ireland was to the Provisional IRA’s campaign at every level. The sheer level of sympathy and support that existed for militant republicanism in Southern Irish society demonstrates that the longevity of the ‘Troubles’ was due in large part to this widespread tolerance and aid. No Irish political party was without members who aided the Provisional IRA in their early years of their campaign, as former IRA volunteers attest to in interviews and previously unpublished accounts of training camps in the Republic. Juried courts for IRA suspects were phased out as both juries and judges were regularly acquitting republicans in cases of blatant IRA activity, and juries often celebrated with or congratulated the defendants: in discussion with the British government Taoiseach Jack Lynch even named judges who were deemed overly sympathetic to the IRA. The extent of activity, training, financing, armed robberies, demonstrations and goodwill for the IRA in the Irish Republic is rarely if ever acknowledged in Irish mainstream media or the education curriculum. A Broad Church: The Provisional IRA in the Republic of Ireland, 1969–1980 will dramatically change that view forever.
Pretty much common knowledge - but what, perhaps, isn't is the fact there were more than a few who abhorred the Provos Marxist-Leninist principles... particularly among the officer corps of the Irish Army... many of whom attended British Army courses.... and grand fellows they were too.

Garda SB were fairly consistent in their war on PIRA from what I can gather.
I can agree on that point, my father was the driver of choice for some unionist politicians going to appear on Today Tonight a current affairs programme on RTE like Newsnight in the UK. Some constituional rules had to be broke on both sides to get the whole thing over the line. One thing my dad said was that he was told by Garda special branch there are no speed limits and the traffic lights dont apply to us and stay in close proximity to us (90MPH) until we get to Donnybrook.

I think RUC Toomebridge was the last terrorist attack before the second (maybe first) ceasefire? There was a badly plastered patch on the wall from an RPG strike. Thinking back now it must not of exploded on impact as the patch wasn't that large.

I can relate. Outside of NI the only place I've found which I'd regard as a 'spiritual' home is Northumberland. I just sit in a bar in Craster and don't say a lot, just relax, listen and enjoy.
The one with the photo of the PoW on the wall? If so, a great place to see out a winter squall.

I can relate. Outside of NI the only place I've found which I'd regard as a 'spiritual' home is Northumberland. I just sit in a bar in Craster and don't say a lot, just relax, listen and enjoy.

Generally speaking, you are statistically less likely to get shot in Craster as far as I remember.....

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I think RUC Toomebridge was the last terrorist attack before the second (maybe first) ceasefire? There was a badly plastered patch on the wall from an RPG strike. Thinking back now it must not of exploded on impact as the patch wasn't that large.
RPG? HEAT round? Doesn't make a big hole. Pushes a jet of "plasmatised*" metal through a small entry hole.
_____
* I like Wikipedia's use of "superplastic.

Likewise, NI was more about the aftermath. I was 1 of the 1st on the scene at the Miami Showband massacrer, taped off waiting for forensics or some such to turn up. As a young Tom never seen a dead body prior, not even my grandparents, it was revolting to see dead men riddled with gunshots. I think they also blew the van up that the band were travelling in. Barely out of school (12 months prior I was still in school) and looking at mans inhumanity simply because of religion.
Religion was the excuse......not the reason !

Power corrupts...absolute power corrupts absolutely then, you just add on the criminality !

Likewise, NI was more about the aftermath. I was 1 of the 1st on the scene at the Miami Showband massacrer, taped off waiting for forensics or some such to turn up. As a young Tom never seen a dead body prior, not even my grandparents, it was revolting to see dead men riddled with gunshots. I think they also blew the van up that the band were travelling in. Barely out of school (12 months prior I was still in school) and looking at mans inhumanity simply because of religion.
@RoofRat the above is a load of shite, he’s a proven weaver of “look at me “ posts.

Martin McGartland thought that too...

That was Whitley Bay

Anybody who moves to Whitley Bay by choice probably deserves shooting.
A few years ago I booked a hotel for a night there having not been there for 20 odd years, wasn't the best choice of places to stay. The place hasn't weathered well
I have a niece in Cullercoats half a mile down the road and its like a different planet

Craster is an altogether more pleasant place.

Most catholics in the south in my opinion dont care that much but have began to become weaponised by recent success of SF in the south.
What has become apparent even after the departure of the army the demise of the RUC is that most catholics in the north have become more militant proven by the rise of SF and the demise of the SDLP.
I have to disagree with you there. The move to "the left" from the SDLP to SF for Republicans has been matched by a move to "the right" from the UUP to the DUP. They are both (IMO) garnering votes from people who wouldn't vote for them under the previous circumstances. I would expect a loss of those votes if they were to be implicated in any violence.

SFs "success" in both polities is also a double edged sword for them as it means they actually have to be actual politicians with coherent policies rather than simply shout the odds from side-line.

Jammy66

War Hero
It is in one of those area that has not many houses of either side nearby and it has its own client group and most of us on here would not be welcome, a couple of pints and a low profile would be the best advice the leave. I am not saying dont go there as I have had a pint in there and left but be wary.
It's right in the city centre, surrounded by shops, offices and car parks! I think it's really more of a tourist attraction than anything, especially now I know what it was called and have looked it up on Tripadvisor!

Robme

LE
Tappet and those other delusional ding bats.

So let’s assume (if only to calm you down), that you lot are right? That everything I have posted is bollocks?
SO WHAT, WHO GIVES A FOOK. WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO ME? GOD IS GOING TO THROW LIGHTNING BOLTS AT ME? The Arrse squad are going to lock me up for life, for having the audacity not to take Arrse as anything other than a China made bat soup. I am going to be considered as unfit for Arrse’s respect. Grow up people for fooks sake this is Arrse.

When I mention Arrse to friends that served, I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't laugh at the idea. As I have also noted the Deputy chief constable of Leicestershire used to live in our village. When I mentioned Arrse to him, his advice was to leave well alone as far as the police were concerned membership of such was akin to kiddy fiddling, far right terror gangs and a shed load of low life junkies, and chancers and he was being very serious. As I noted 8 months ago, it was my intention to scoop this years Spot the Ball competition, and I think I have done extremely well in that horse race, I must be the Odds on favourite for this years championship? So far ahead of the field they might as well draw a line across the competition and award me what’s rightfully mine.

Think about it half-wits, why do so many genuine ex-service people pop up and then disappear just as quickly, once they get a flavour of the dribbling that goes on here?

Unless your brain cells have gone for a walk, this is Arrse, as the name suggests it contains a load of shoit. And those of us who post play the game based on the biggest pile of shoit, we can possibly come up with. Point me to 1 poster who hasn’t added to the game, hasn’t come out with the biggest load of bollocks known to man? It’s why we all join in the first place?

Nobody above the rank of WO1 considers Arrse to be anything other than a place to scramble one‘s brain cells with a load of flying bullshit. Rupert s Ex and still serving use Arrse as they are so befuddled by the fantasy known as a military Career, that they suck up anything painted green.

And of course that’s your problem, you take the whole thing far to seriously. Even if I were a tappet what is the likely outcome of all this? What, a load of mentally retarded navel gazers have a meltdown over my escapades as a Soldier? As far as I am concerned, nobody (apart from myself and a handful of others Dinger, and the French Mob) who posts on Arrse has served a single day in any arm of the armed forces. That’s what being a LMFer means, somebody such as yourself who was so gutless they had to send for your mummy as you had shit the pants as you crossed the recruiting office doorstep. And when she turned up she was heard to say, ‘There there dear, mummy-kins has got your cage warmed up and a nice bowl of chicken soup ready’ followed by ‘I told you, that you should have stuck with ballet lessons they are much more your cup of tea’

By by dribbling LMFers, I got paint to watch dry.

Tappet and those other delusional ding bats.

So let’s assume (if only to calm you down), that you lot are right? That everything I have posted is bollocks?
SO WHAT, WHO GIVES A FOOK. WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO ME? GOD IS GOING TO THROW LIGHTNING BOLTS AT ME? The Arrse squad are going to lock me up for life, for having the audacity not to take Arrse as anything other than a China made bat soup. I am going to be considered as unfit for Arrse’s respect. Grow up people for fooks sake this is Arrse.

When I mention Arrse to friends that served, I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't laugh at the idea. As I have also noted the Deputy chief constable of Leicestershire used to live in our village. When I mentioned Arrse to him, his advice was to leave well alone as far as the police were concerned membership of such was akin to kiddy fiddling, far right terror gangs and a shed load of low life junkies, and chancers and he was being very serious. As I noted 8 months ago, it was my intention to scoop this years Spot the Ball competition, and I think I have done extremely well in that horse race, I must be the Odds on favourite for this years championship? So far ahead of the field they might as well draw a line across the competition and award me what’s rightfully mine.

Think about it half-wits, why do so many genuine ex-service people pop up and then disappear just as quickly, once they get a flavour of the dribbling that goes on here?

Unless your brain cells have gone for a walk, this is Arrse, as the name suggests it contains a load of shoit. And those of us who post play the game based on the biggest pile of shoit, we can possibly come up with. Point me to 1 poster who hasn’t added to the game, hasn’t come out with the biggest load of bollocks known to man? It’s why we all join in the first place?

Nobody above the rank of WO1 considers Arrse to be anything other than a place to scramble one‘s brain cells with a load of flying bullshit. Rupert s Ex and still serving use Arrse as they are so befuddled by the fantasy known as a military Career, that they suck up anything painted green.

And of course that’s your problem, you take the whole thing far to seriously. Even if I were a tappet what is the likely outcome of all this? What, a load of mentally retarded navel gazers have a meltdown over my escapades as a Soldier? As far as I am concerned, nobody (apart from myself and a handful of others Dinger, and the French Mob) who posts on Arrse has served a single day in any arm of the armed forces. That’s what being a LMFer means, somebody such as yourself who was so gutless they had to send for your mummy as you had shit the pants as you crossed the recruiting office doorstep. And when she turned up she was heard to say, ‘There there dear, mummy-kins has got your cage warmed up and a nice bowl of chicken soup ready’ followed by ‘I told you, that you should have stuck with ballet lessons they are much more your cup of tea’

By by dribbling LMFers, I got paint to watch dry.
From Reuters:
A double celebration for researchers this morning. Not only was a new category of flounce reported but a rare sighting of the lesser spotted fibbing robme was confirmed. The scientific community are overjoyed with confirmation that fantasists have not only survived lockdown but have emerged with the lying gene intact and an ability to claim having friends.

In honour of the first post lockdown tantrum on to these pages, Professor Elton John of Hull Aquarium has awarded the above a new classification of flounce - the " Robme Fantastic Flounce "

Elon Musk was not available for comment.

Latest Threads