Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Scariest place in NI?

Oscar Newman would be appalled.
Defensible Space 1972 - when I first came across it as a 'mature' student in the mid 1980s I thought it was a military training manual...........with some reflection, aspects of it might well be relevent.
ETA at the 'student' time I was more impressed with the Chicago School and 'Central Place Theory', but on looking back, I suspect that we (the army) were regarded as the 'intruders' in a 'Defensible Space' analysis of Ballymurphy for example.

Last edited:
Below I will provide you with a handy cut out and keep guide to the Penal Laws, passed by the Protestant parliament that ruled a mostly Catholic country. You will note the first few which would certainly be a bit irritating
A very standard Northern Irish 'victim statement'

Lets have a look at the truth shall we?

Penal Laws, laws passed against Roman Catholics in Britain and Ireland after the Reformation that penalized the practice of the Roman Catholic religion and imposed civil disabilities on Catholics

Catholic Emancipation, in British history, the freedom from discrimination and civil disabilities granted to the Roman Catholics of Britain and Ireland in a series of laws during the late 18th and early 19th centuries.

So, not specific to Ireland and repealed over 200 years ago and long before the birth of anyone alive to-day.

The lonely walk: The scariest places followed these brave lads everywhere they operated throughout Banner.
prepare to meet thy God.jpg

So, not specific to Ireland and repealed over 200 years ago and long before the birth of anyone alive to-day.

Er no, most of the laws were specific to Ireland having been passed by the apartheid-like Dublin parliament, and whilst the actual laws might have been repealed, the crushing effects of a century of deliberate, state-sponsored impoverishment and expropriation of the property of an entire ethnic group lasted well into the lifetime of some people who are still around today, a result that the laws were specifically designed to ensure.

My initial reply was merely to set right a statement that was factually incorrect, I have no wish to drag the thread off topic, there's no point in debating this further.