Scariest place in NI?

No mate. It’s my cockerney accent and “BLOOD GROUP A POS” tattooed on my right forearm.
Sherdy Vat & Mr. Balls would be sitting at your table in absolute awe. Beats my occasional visit to the Bogside Inn. :)

Sherdy Vat & Mr. Balls would be sitting at your table in absolute awe. Beats my occasional visit to the Bogside Inn. :)
But you don't stand at the bar (leaning your lightly oiled SLR against the rail) and ask for a Black and Tan. A far-famed clocker from one of the Midlands regiments (77-78?) used to do that there, and would get his pint, too. At one of the cosy little joints I frequent (or did, until the Plague interrrupted) an Englishman living in the village would taunt the bar staff (a pair of very republican, but friendly, and nice people) with requests along those lines, and be humoured to great laughter, but, à la Quiet Man, one or two of the people at the tables would not be amused. Hey, I'm some sort of weird foreign yachtsman, and not to be paid attention to.

I've visited some of the places frequently mentioned in the old reports, including the Three Steps and some of the Monaghan haunts, but behave myself. Accents have become so mixed and addled in the past 40 years that they aren't a true indicator of your origin in NI or the Republic, so if you have a reasonable excuse for being where you are, and a name which indicates your True Irish nature, you're good, I find (my name's synonymous with many a famed bomber).

I worked within the orbit of a bloke who was ex-SAS and he was a little.......... intense. He would quite often do his own thing in his own way and was hard to keep tabs on. One evening he pitched up with a lot of nicks and cuts to his face and hands that he seemed reluctant to have properly attended to but no word at all about he came by them. A few days later I went to a briefing in Portadown which was also attended by various RUC Collators, DMSU and SB types - some of who I knew quite well. One of them told me about a bar out in the sticks that had plenty of low-key but effective security which was a watering hole for all manner of off-duty peelers and UDR. A few days before the place had been about half full when a stranger sidled in and went up to the bar to mumble an order for a pint of Harp. He was clearly a Brit and obviously had no idea that he was among friends. As he stood there unhappily glancing around the room a couple of the blokes stood up to approach him to tell him that he could relax when, Boom! He was gone - straight through the window overlooking the car park and into the night.

But you don't stand at the bar (leaning your lightly oiled SLR against the rail) and ask for a Black and Tan. A far-famed clocker from one of the Midlands regiments (77-78?) used to do that there, and would get his pint, too. At one of the cosy little joints I frequent (or did, until the Plague interrrupted) an Englishman living in the village would taunt the bar staff (a pair of very republican, but friendly, and nice people) with requests along those lines, and be humoured to great laughter, but, à la Quiet Man, one or two of the people at the tables would not be amused. Hey, I'm some sort of weird foreign yachtsman, and not to be paid attention to.

I've visited some of the places frequently mentioned in the old reports, including the Three Steps and some of the Monaghan haunts, but behave myself. Accents have become so mixed and addled in the past 40 years that they aren't a true indicator of your origin in NI or the Republic, so if you have a reasonable excuse for being where you are, and a name which indicates your True Irish nature, you're good, I find (my name's synonymous with many a famed bomber).
1594424606534.png
You are Arthur Harris. I claim My £5.. :)

I worked within the orbit of a bloke who was ex-SAS and he was a little.......... intense. He would quite often do his own thing in his own way and was hard to keep tabs on. One evening he pitched up with a lot of nicks and cuts to his face and hands that he seemed reluctant to have properly attended to but no word at all about he came by them. A few days later I went to a briefing in Portadown which was also attended by various RUC Collators, DMSU and SB types - some of who I knew quite well. One of them told me about a bar out in the sticks that had plenty of low-key but effective security which was a watering hole for all manner of off-duty peelers and UDR. A few days before the place had been about half full when a stranger sidled in and went up to the bar to mumble an order for a pint of Harp. He was clearly a Brit and obviously had no idea that he was among friends. As he stood there unhappily glancing around the room a couple of the blokes stood up to approach him to tell him that he could relax when, Boom! He was gone - straight through the window overlooking the car park and into the night.
To remark, the ' Bogside Inn' was a step-up in luxury as time was to pass, my local being the 'Telstar bar' not a quantum tab from my pad in the Creggan.

Been in Maddens a couple of times. The music is good and the beer’s cheap. Always send my wife to the bar though for some reason.
It is in one of those area that has not many houses of either side nearby and it has its own client group and most of us on here would not be welcome, a couple of pints and a low profile would be the best advice the leave. I am not saying dont go there as I have had a pint in there and left but be wary.

To remark, the ' Bogside Inn' was a step-up in luxury as time was to pass, my local being the 'Telstar bar' not a quantum tab from my pad in the Creggan.
You must be a very cool customer. Maybe they like the devil they know. I once went fishing a long way off my patch in the Fermanagh lakes at the invitation of a policeman mate. He was from a local Catholic family and we went to a bar he knew. I was pretty relaxed in his company and neither of us were armed - which was a good thing because after half an hour or so some new people came in and I was introduced as a tourist from England. One of these blokes came up to shake my hand, stumbled a bit and comprehensively frisked me in the process! It wasn't a bad day all in all.

It is in one of those area that has not many houses of either side nearby and it has its own client group and most of us on here would not be welcome, a couple of pints and a low profile would be the best advice the leave. I am not saying dont go there as I have had a pint in there and left but be wary.
G'wan, give it a go. Wear a Lindfield scarf. Boris needs a headline to deflect from all of the BLM drama.

41J7HJzxfzL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This groundbreaking book is the first to detail, with startling new revelations, just how integral the Republic of Ireland was to the Provisional IRA’s campaign at every level. The sheer level of sympathy and support that existed for militant republicanism in Southern Irish society demonstrates that the longevity of the ‘Troubles’ was due in large part to this widespread tolerance and aid. No Irish political party was without members who aided the Provisional IRA in their early years of their campaign, as former IRA volunteers attest to in interviews and previously unpublished accounts of training camps in the Republic. Juried courts for IRA suspects were phased out as both juries and judges were regularly acquitting republicans in cases of blatant IRA activity, and juries often celebrated with or congratulated the defendants: in discussion with the British government Taoiseach Jack Lynch even named judges who were deemed overly sympathetic to the IRA. The extent of activity, training, financing, armed robberies, demonstrations and goodwill for the IRA in the Irish Republic is rarely if ever acknowledged in Irish mainstream media or the education curriculum. A Broad Church: The Provisional IRA in the Republic of Ireland, 1969–1980 will dramatically change that view forever.

G'wan, give it a go. Wear a Lindfield scarf. Boris needs a headline to deflect from all of the BLM drama.
Dont be daft, that would be just be the behaviour of a twat. Like I said it is basically the cathedral quarter and its city centre enough to be a tourist bar and what the **** would I want with a Linfield scarf?

View attachment 488775

This groundbreaking book is the first to detail, with startling new revelations, just how integral the Republic of Ireland was to the Provisional IRA’s campaign at every level. The sheer level of sympathy and support that existed for militant republicanism in Southern Irish society demonstrates that the longevity of the ‘Troubles’ was due in large part to this widespread tolerance and aid. No Irish political party was without members who aided the Provisional IRA in their early years of their campaign, as former IRA volunteers attest to in interviews and previously unpublished accounts of training camps in the Republic. Juried courts for IRA suspects were phased out as both juries and judges were regularly acquitting republicans in cases of blatant IRA activity, and juries often celebrated with or congratulated the defendants: in discussion with the British government Taoiseach Jack Lynch even named judges who were deemed overly sympathetic to the IRA. The extent of activity, training, financing, armed robberies, demonstrations and goodwill for the IRA in the Irish Republic is rarely if ever acknowledged in Irish mainstream media or the education curriculum. A Broad Church: The Provisional IRA in the Republic of Ireland, 1969–1980 will dramatically change that view forever.
Garda SB were fairly consistent in their war on PIRA from what I can gather.

You must be a very cool customer. Maybe they like the devil they know. I once went fishing a long way off my patch in the Fermanagh lakes at the invitation of a policeman mate. He was from a local Catholic family and we went to a bar he knew. I was pretty relaxed in his company and neither of us were armed - which was a good thing because after half an hour or so some new people came in and I was introduced as a tourist from England. One of these blokes came up to shake my hand, stumbled a bit and comprehensively frisked me in the process! It wasn't a bad day all in all.
I can relate. Outside of NI the only place I've found which I'd regard as a 'spiritual' home is Northumberland. I just sit in a bar in Craster and don't say a lot, just relax, listen and enjoy.

Garda SB were fairly consistent in their war on PIRA from what I can gather.
That's a fact. They arrested the late Mc Guinness for a number of months, a situation that rankled with 'Jarry' locked up in the 'Kesh'., with the soon to be ordained magic circle
This became a real issue between them and which some historians will tell you, 'Mackers' arrest was manufactured as part of the great way forward.

For our foreign readers, it's necessary to serve jail time in Irish politics to be treated as someone of stature and intent. Sinn Fein locked into this ethos adding not only bread and water, but death via starvation to add for a halo award.

That's a fact. They arrested the late Mc Guinness for a number of months, a situation that rankled with 'Jarry' locked up in the 'Kesh'., with the soon to be ordained magic circle
This became a real issue between them and which some historians will tell you, 'Mackers' arrest was manufactured as part of the great way forward.

For our foreign readers, it's necessary to serve jail time in Irish politics to be treated as someone of stature and intent. Sinn Fein locked into this ethos adding not only bread and water, but death via starvation to add for a halo award.
Not much fear of that now. Judging by the girth of the current ladies at the head of the organisation... ;)

View attachment 488775

When one of thier PM's was gun running for them it shows how they were, my next door neibour who is now dead was in the UDR and his wife who still lives beside me was a catholic from Monaghan and a great family friend of all my family. One of her sisters was married to a top provo from there, another sister was married to a Garda officer who might as well have been in the provos another sister was married to a Garda who was straight as a die and she had a brother that wanted **** all to do with any of it. Most catholics in the south in my opinion dont care that much but have began to become weaponised by recent success of SF in the south.
What has become apparent even after the departure of the army the demise of the RUC is that most catholics in the north have become more militant proven by the rise of SF and the demise of the SDLP. There has been a theme of anti protestant murder and persecution going back way before the modern troubles.

ovember 1641Portadown MassacrePortadown100+O'Neill clansmen massacred as many as 100 English and Scottish Protestant planters, including women, children, and other noncombatants. The massacre took place on the banks of the River Bann.[5]

1641Ulster massacresUlster, Ireland4,000–12,000The Ulster Massacres were a series of massacres and resulting deaths amongst the ~4,000–12,000 Protestant settlers which took place in 1641 during the Irish Rebellion.[2][3][4]
All too often the protestants and British army an whoever have been accused of bad deeds, the one in Portadown then was women and children on a church outing. I could go on all night about this.

My friend had Owen Carron stopped one night towards the "end ha ha " of the troubles with a gun in his car and was told to let an on the run with an arrest warrant out for him go. He also had Marty stopped in Northern Ireland with weapons in the car near the Monaghan border prior to disbandment of the RIR and was told to let him go also.

My friend had Owen Carron stopped one night towards the "end ha ha " of the troubles with a gun in his car and was told to let an on the run with an arrest warrant out for him go. He also had Marty stopped in Northern Ireland with weapons in the car near the Monaghan border prior to disbandment of the RIR and was told to let him go also.
The RIR has been disbanded? Someone better tell My Nephew quickly. :) I suspect 'Marty' was too canny to be anywhere near a weapon at that stage of things.

Latest Threads