Scariest place in NI?

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm still struggling to understand:

• Why anyone in Belfast would want to go to (London)Derry.
  • Why anyone in (London)Derry would want to go to Belfast.
  • Why anyone in their right mind would want to go to Toomebridge, except at 400 feet and 400 knots with a full load of LGB and a laser fix in the middle of the town.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer

• Why anyone in their right mind would want to go to Toomebridge, except at 400 feet and 400 knots with a full load of LGB and a laser fix in the middle of the town.
They need a Large Girder Bridge in the town centre?

sore knees

Old-Salt
Ah, yes! Doombridge - a favourite stomping*ground for the Roddy McCorley Memorial Flute Band, who's members always seemed to be going to or coming from the devil's arse of a place (Ould Roddy was strung up there in 1800, having been involved in a bit of rebellion and sedition in 1798 )

Horrible place.

*literally
I had the misfortune to watch the shower that is that so called band.
A couple of us were in the gate Sanger of RUC Toome taking pics of their hangers on.
Total clusterfuck of a band and their followers.
They had held a parade to the memorial to the cowardly IRA and other so called heroes.

A couple of us were in the gate Sanger of RUC Toome taking pics of their hangers on.
They had held a parade to the memorial to the cowardly IRA and other so called heroes.
That was probably the pre-march refreshment..

sore knees

Old-Salt
You would have done in the old days.
Coming from the Belfast direction, O’Neill Arms hotel, then the RUC station, both on your right – then you cross the bridge, with the Eel fisheries cooperative immediately alongside.
The WW2 airbase would then be to your left, just after crossing the river.
Next: bandits ahead....notably Bellaghy, a few miles to your right.
I used to wonder why the Car park at O'Neills was never surfaced.
Turned out it was an easy source for stones to chuck at us when we passed by.
Also the empty bottles were always left for the convenience of the locals.

Well, for a county regiment ex-pl comd who I had a drink with on a couple of occasions, the Dungiven - Toomebridge part of the journey was to attend his OC's weekly O Group, every Thursday coinciding exactly with the end of that week's episode of Blake's 7....

Middle one - quite a few for work, daily - the X212 Express

I always used to smile a smile when the Duty Toome RUC Sgt turned up for the weekly (and, subsequently, fortnightly) DAC* in an armoured Granada with bodywork by 'Half Housebrick' :cool:

*Divisional Action Committee

I always really enjoyed introducing Eric to people who were expecting this steely eyed dealer of death and were shocked to meet this wee quiet Fermanagh man.
I wonder why they didn't fix him up with some civilian admin job working with the UDR to supplement his medical pension and make use of his experience.

Euclid

War Hero

I recall being sent to the SF base (RUC station?) in Toomebridge for some long-forgotten reason. I think our mission was ‘to support the RUC in their mission’.

The UDR at the base (1 UDR?) were a good source for poteen though.

I wonder why they didn't fix him up with some civilian admin job working with the UDR to supplement his medical pension and make use of his experience.
The jobs we had that he would have been interested in doing he wasn't fit for, the jobs we had he was fit for weren't things he wanted to do.

I recall being sent to the SF base (RUC station?) in Toomebridge for some long-forgotten reason. I think our mission was ‘to support the RUC in their mission’.

The UDR at the base (1 UDR?) were a good source for poteen though.
My company had a delivery lorry for parts for many years but I only can speak of the late 80's early 90's and the driver based in Belfast had his delivery routes throughout NI and if any of you have seen the tv show The Wire based on drug suply in Baltimore Maryland this man was the kingpin of poteen suply in probably most of NI. In 1987 I was 18 and that was the first time he sold it to me as he had some morals, I got a shoe box containing 4 bottles and it cost me £16. I sold them on for £6 each and had very happy customers for a few years and I was glad as it paid for a Friday night in the pub in them days. One thursday evening the old lorry driver arrive at my work with the parts that were not much that day but I looked into the back of the lorry and he had a tarp over what I would estimate was 2000 shoe boxes each containing 4 x bottles of product and then found that the old guy retired next day and this was his retirement present from the distiller. I always thought he was getting the poteen from around the Coleraine area but found out a few years ago it was made about 4 miles from me.
Just thought of this, they were always the large Lucozade bottles that used to come wrapped in the crackly yellow plastic when new.

Last edited:
The bit between Randalstown and Toome was much delayed, because some wa.ker with an Irish name but English accent (we were never quite sure which bit of government were funding him) managed to hold it up via the courts, with some rubbish regarding bird life in the adjacent fields – even quoting famous Seamus in aid, which BBC NI news would faithfully trot out.
Heaney was dead by this time, but one of his brothers said it was absolute bollocks.
You are completely correct on that and that ******* twat made more problems than he cured, a friend who lives nearby told me he had some susccess with his bitching that actually done more harm than good on some part of the route but I can not remember the detail.
If I were training young soldiers I would make the study of the Seamus Heaney's Punishment a required reading and study topic. While I am well aware the Heaneys were republican I would cast doubt over thier IRA support and I suspect that is why Seamus moved to Dublin