Scariest place in NI?

Euclid

War Hero
The pub that burned down always seemed popular with musical types but it was past the Shambles and beside the moy road roundabout and I was thinking you were a brave boy going there in the 80's. It may have been the Marketplace theatre not far from the top of Scotch street or there was a wee pub called The Hole in the Wall and it may have been it. It may also not exist now as my drinking carreer only started officially in the late 80's.
I recall the Spiders Rest close to the junction where the police station is - we got taken in their on occasion by the RUC for a few beers. Weird place Armagh City.

And the Ponderosa Bar. :)
And where I forced an oncoming car off the road whilst driving the GOC home one evening....

His driver was on leave so he thought it would be a wizard wheeze for young Bubbles to fill in so a subaltern could see what a 3* got up to!

I had a memorable flight to Cookstown over the Glenshane in the late 80s - thick fog almost down to the road level, but the pilot said he'd try his best to get over the ridgeline. We followed a minor metalled road close the A6 proper over the mountains, getting lower and lower, as we approached the crest, the crew divided their attention between not skidding along the road and looking out for any HGVs coming over the skyline. Probably an everyday occurrence for the crew, but I thought it was fun.

I remember being briefed on that incident in HQNI when it happened.
And this bloke, a 42 year old part time UDR Cpl and dog warden lured into an IRA ambush, got the better of a 4 man IRA ASU armed only with a Walther pistol. Subsequently awarded the DCM. He had previously been awarded the QGM.

I think the words 'Absolute nails' were written for him.

Corporal Eric Glass DCM.
That is one of the storys of the brave republican volunteers that is etched into my brain, not only did they run off in fear because he was returning fire but when they thought he was out of rounds they came back only to find he had been refilling mags and he chased them off again less one of thier number because he had been slotted.

I recall the Spiders Rest close to the junction where the police station is - we got taken in their on occasion by the RUC for a few beers. Weird place Armagh City.
On the corner up the road towards
The Spiders Rest is now called Calverts tavern the last time I looked but its been a while, there was another pub at the end of that street on the corner where the Mall was that was owned by a UDR WO2 and I was in it with a few mates playing pool on night and I looked out the side door and there was a RUC officer standing there and the junction was cordoned off with minetape and I asked whats going on and he had just got the words "there is a suspect vehicle at the courthouse" next thing bang and the vehicle was no more.
After the initial panic etc we got back to playing pool and I was siting waiting my turn and next thing I know im sitting on the same chair 8 ft across the floor due to the fooking massive bomb that had just went off wrecking the tax office. Turns out the first bomb was just fun and games designed to lure in SF personel to trap them in a much larger bomb close by.

I had a memorable flight to Cookstown over the Glenshane in the late 80s - thick fog almost down to the road level, but the pilot said he'd try his best to get over the ridgeline. We followed a minor metalled road close the A6 proper over the mountains, getting lower and lower, as we approached the crest, the crew divided their attention between not skidding along the road and looking out for any HGVs coming over the skyline. Probably an everyday occurrence for the crew, but I thought it was fun.
There is a point on the Glenshane pass with an extreme drop off and I remember sitting at the side of the road there having a picnic with my parents and out of nowhere this Lynx rises is up and it is deafening, it was weird that it was silent when it was below the drop off.

And this bloke, a 42 year old part time UDR Cpl and dog warden lured into an IRA ambush, got the better of a 4 man IRA ASU armed only with a Walther pistol. Subsequently awarded the DCM. He had previously been awarded the QGM.

Corporal Eric Glass DCM.
I always really enjoyed introducing Eric to people who were expecting this steely eyed dealer of death and were shocked to meet this wee quiet Fermanagh man.

Don't rush. The most curious demise of all.
I used to work with his brother Mick, really good bloke with some good tales to tell.
He always maintained his brothers death wasn't suicide.

Thank you, it’s has been a f’ing long time 40 years or so and I only remember WO Bellamy not the others. Which is shame as I had such a high regard for the Police out their2. 2,8. Was so called because of a joke about an Indian naming his child by the first thing he saw after the birth of the baby. He was an orphan, and took his R&R on the island of Alderney, as they gave him an extra 2 days so he could get there.
All the forts as I recall were called tin cities, mainly because of the temp nature of the fort, and the build of them.
Thanks for the KOSB, I new they were A Jock regiment, and boy were they slick, took no prisoners either. There snatch squad was feared by locals and thus riots were not very common. As I said slick and very professional. I wonder if the reason why I didn’t recall them was perhaps I arrived at the change over point of the Batts? Rather than did any real time with them. Although I recall being told by a lad, that paddy would have the upper hand when the boots took over.

Yep your right about Trog speak, likewise infantry all very much a foreign language to a Corp man.

During my long time in NI the subject of ex-US servicemen working for the IRA, was common parlance but as I said nobody ever stoped them nor arrested them. I think a lot of people thought it was true, given the twisted love of paddy by the septics. And there were a number of single shot contacts recorded during my 7 years, which gave credence to the existence of them.
You remember stuff from 40 years ago a lot better than I did from Telic tours 12 years ago. Pretty sure my troop Sgt was right all along and I'm solid.

I am certain of it, there were a load of farmers, the shinners and a few other focus groups with axes to grind got a judicial review claming the plans did not pass muster for a variety of reasons and the judge agreed. The other route you speak of is a bit tricky and yes they are working on it and it must be near completion but ive not been up that way for a while for obvious reasons. The route you are talking about will end at Castledawson and the main reason its going no further is that they had bother enough creating the Glenshane pass in single caraigeway and I believe the cost would be crazy to dual it. At present traveling by bus the route via Randalstown takes 2hrs 20 minutes and the other route via Ballygawley and Omagh 2 hours 55 minutes so I would imagine if the later route was dualled there would be very little in it. Hopefully they get thier act together and get all the A4 route dualled as the road between Ballygawley and Londonderry can be sould destroying in tractor season.
I could throw a stone and almost put it into that shopping centre from my house, who are your extended family as I may know them? PM me if you are not comfortable with broadcasting it. It is called the Linen Green btw. My dad worked in one of the parts of what was a massive weaving factory in the late fifties early sixties and at its peak was one of the biggest employers in Co Tyrone at a guess employing 3000 people but that is a guestimate by the number of buses that lined the street to take the workers home in the evening.
The bit between Randalstown and Toome was much delayed, because some wa.ker with an Irish name but English accent (we were never quite sure which bit of government were funding him) managed to hold it up via the courts, with some rubbish regarding bird life in the adjacent fields – even quoting famous Seamus in aid, which BBC NI news would faithfully trot out.
Heaney was dead by this time, but one of his brothers said it was absolute bollocks.

The pub that burned down always seemed popular with musical types but it was past the Shambles and beside the moy road roundabout and I was thinking you were a brave boy going there in the 80's. It may have been the Marketplace theatre not far from the top of Scotch street or there was a wee pub called The Hole in the Wall and it may have been it. It may also not exist now as my drinking carreer only started officially in the late 80's.
Previous landlord, Wilfie McVeigh.
I am old enough to have got a pint and a burger (early days of microwave) for 50p, with a game of pool in the back bar - whilst almost legal age.
It is still going.

I am certain of it, there were a load of farmers, the shinners and a few other focus groups with axes to grind got a judicial review claming the plans did not pass muster for a variety of reasons and the judge agreed. The other route you speak of is a bit tricky and yes they are working on it and it must be near completion but ive not been up that way for a while for obvious reasons. The route you are talking about will end at Castledawson and the main reason its going no further is that they had bother enough creating the Glenshane pass in single caraigeway and I believe the cost would be crazy to dual it. At present traveling by bus the route via Randalstown takes 2hrs 20 minutes and the other route via Ballygawley and Omagh 2 hours 55 minutes so I would imagine if the later route was dualled there would be very little in it. Hopefully they get thier act together and get all the A4 route dualled as the road between Ballygawley and Londonderry can be sould destroying in tractor season.
I could throw a stone and almost put it into that shopping centre from my house, who are your extended family as I may know them? PM me if you are not comfortable with broadcasting it. It is called the Linen Green btw. My dad worked in one of the parts of what was a massive weaving factory in the late fifties early sixties and at its peak was one of the biggest employers in Co Tyrone at a guess employing 3000 people but that is a guestimate by the number of buses that lined the street to take the workers home in the evening.
Ulster Weavers.
Webb, my paternal gran’s lot.

needlewaver

War Hero

Corporal Eric Glass DCM.
His portrait used to hang in the grown ups corridor at Grosvenor Barracks, Enniskillen. I never met him but I’m told a more humble unassuming man you couldn’t meet.

Latest Threads