Scariest place in NI?

PaulinBont

Old-Salt
I never served over there as I left training in 1980 and things weren't as manic as in the early/mid-70's but growing up in the 70s' : " Last night another soldier"......was a regular news item. I have a lot of respect for anyone who did Op Banner tours.

My question is what filled you with the most dread: city/urban deployment's, town and rural villages or the rural farming countryside deployment's?

Robme

On ROPS
On ROPs
Moscow Camp, Belfast. Disco nights, when you had to sign the’ ladies’ in. And it was expected you would stay with them all evening. By god could they put their drink away, particularly anything expensive. Brandy and babycham I seem to recall was ganz teur.

I rather hated the explosive run to Cookstown quarry which involved border Bns having to do route march speed Culvert checks up to their border with the next TAOR.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Wpte **** ******** bed.

Frightening, but awesome.

Beachdaze2

Old-Salt
Moscow Camp, Belfast. Disco nights, when you had to sign the’ ladies’ in. And it was expected you would stay with them all evening. By god could they put their drink away, particularly anything expensive. Brandy and babycham I seem to recall was ganz teur.
Personally, I thought the Grey Funnel Line Stokers were scarier .... although invariably prettier.

Jonnynoname

On ROPS
On ROPs
Only did a Maze tour in 87 but did volunteer to go for a week or two to the Green howards in Londonderry. so they got some leave . was great guys. had a good time. The Maze was just stagging on really. was a dog handlers club in the Maze. lot of pioneers were dog handlers. went in their club one night with another guy got blotto. next day on a mobile patrol i spewed up out the back door :D The rovers we had we sat at the back door. The Howards did top cover in their ones. 2 LI were in Belfast & a couple of our lads went with them too.

There was a young(ish) lady who lived in the Shankill near the back gate of NHSM, she and a couple of her friends liked a bit of company (a bit of A Company, a bit of B Company etc). Her house could be a pretty scary place!

Jonnynoname

On ROPS
On ROPs
There was a young(ish) lady who lived in the Shankill near the back gate of NHSM, she and a couple of her friends liked a bit of company (a bit of A Company, a bit of B Company etc). Her house could be a pretty scary place!
every couple of weeks we had a disco in the Maze & the local slappers came in. Remember i was stagging on at the main gate with a screw & one of the guys had a slapper in the small room we had at the gate. he was looking out the window laughing. later told me she was blowing him as he was looking outside. won´t mention names ...haha

Robme

On ROPS
On ROPs
Ok I think the OP means hairy, so what was the name of the IRA drinking club off the Falls, near the RVH? During one 6 month tour, each of the 3 roulement Batts insisted on regularly popping in. The Lonely Pound seems to ring a bell? Always seemed pointless stirring up the locals.

Castlereagh was pretty scary. Until I turned astro-turf. Then it became the pay office!

Robme

On ROPS
On ROPs
Things kicking off in the city estates or out in the fields, what was worse?
Both, however South Armagh was frustrating given that paddy would fook off over the border if there were more than 2 toms in hot persuit. City shootings, as it took time sometimes to work out the direction of shot. We used to have this shot detector thing fitted, but it would spin all over the place if in a built up area.

Last edited:
I can only speak for myself but I don't think "dread" is what I felt. Looking back over several tours from a long time ago I think of the base gate where the transition from "normal" to Focus for each patrol began. There have been many times since that I've faced a Gate of some form or other, taken a deep breath, and gone through it.

Robme

On ROPS
On ROPs
There was scary and there was boring.
For some reason I prefered scary.

Some of the training we were put through was the worst.
Likewise, NI was more about the aftermath. I was 1 of the 1st on the scene at the Miami Showband massacrer, taped off waiting for forensics or some such to turn up. As a young Tom never seen a dead body prior, not even my grandparents, it was revolting to see dead men riddled with gunshots. I think they also blew the van up that the band were travelling in. Barely out of school (12 months prior I was still in school) and looking at mans inhumanity simply because of religion.

Robme

On ROPS
On ROPs
I can only speak for myself but I don't think "dread" is what I felt. Looking back over several tours from a long time ago I think of the base gate where the transition from "normal" to Focus for each patrol began. There have been many times since that I've faced a Gate of some form or other, taken a deep breath, and gone through it.
Duke of Boots Cpl, Springfield Rd police Station 1979 (?), used to say a prayer, at the sand butt prior to footsies not scary but unnerving.

Both, however South Armagh was frustrating given that paddy would fook off over the border if there were more than 2 toms in hot persuit. City shootings, as it took time sometimes to work out the direction of shot. We used to have this shot detector thing fitted, but it was spin all over the place if in a built up area.
CLARIBEL.

Latest Threads