Scared of Bugs

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by afartinthefog, Aug 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello I am just about to start basic (16th of Sept, ITC Catterick) and I need some advice.

I am scared of bugs and I end up pausing any time I see a spider or a creepy crawly in my house also when I was crawling along the ground at Exercise Scottish Soldier I kept finding myself staring at bugs on the ground and it hindered my progress.

Has anyone ever got over their fear of bugs or did you just power through? I am just curious since it is a problem I will definitely get over at some point however I just want to know if/how you guys did it.

Thanks.

2. I used to have a very similar problem where my fanny would hurt every time I had to do something I didn't like..... It's OK though as in Basic Training my Section Sgt would let me off everything I didn't like doing if I just uttered the phrase "I can't do it Sgt my fanny hurts". I'm sure you'll find that the current training staff at ITC Catterick to be just as accommodating.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

if you have a course of cheapo insect based movies such as eight legged freaks and empire of the ants then switch to texas chainsaw massacre, hills have eyes, the wrong turn etc.. you wont be afraid of the little insects anymore just everything else in the woods :)

• Like Like x 3

4. Go for RN or RAF unless you are scared of fish and birds as well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. the best way is to desensitise yourself to bugs and creepy crawlies by having more exposure to them so that in the end you just accept them. Start by sticking your head in a Hornets nest.

Carry on.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Hopefully you're not joing as an EH Tech?

7. Google self immolation.

8. May I suggest the OP does not introduce himself to the Arrse Maidens unless he wants his inbox filling with minge shots that resemble the tunnel scene from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom?

• Like Like x 1
  9. A mate of mine tried to cure his arachnophobia by buying himself a red-legged tarantula. We neglected to tell him that they can jump. The sight of him running around in circles with it attached to his face was a thing of beauty and I came dangerously close to dying laughing.

You fucking fairy.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Wah?

Please let it be a wah.

• Like Like x 2
  11. I don't know about afartinthefog because by the sounds of things you'll be as useful as a fart in a thunderstorm!

It's a bug, get over it. Unless it's a moth in that case adopt ninja arm swinging and squeals of girly fear. That's acceptable because as everyone knows they fly at your face and try to remove your eyeballs.

But seriously you pause that's gonna take some CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) to get over!

• Like Like x 1
  12. No way this can be for real.

13. Popcorn and beer. At the ready.

• Like Like x 1
  14. This is Sparta!

• Like Like x 1
  15. OP, make sure when you first arrive on your recruit cse to tell the nice man with 2 stripes on his arm about your issues. He will gently guide you through them with counseling.

Most likely he will "counsel" the shit out of you, but it will be effective.