Scanning transparency slides (35mm)

I think I've found a cheap and cheerful method of using an ordinary flatbed scanner and a smartphone to successfully scan 35mm transparency slides.
I know you can buy scanner adapters and there are many do-it-yourself adapter plans on the web. I've never found any of them very good.

Tonight I tried a new method, and it seems to work.

Method:
Set scanner to max resolution (1200dpi on my basic HP printer/scanner combo)
Set save as a JPG
Position slide at corner of scanner
Take picture of white surface with your smartphone (I used the inside of my scanner top-plate)
Display image on phone
Set brightness on phone to max
Set sleep time to max
Place phone, screen down on top of slide
scan image
crop and adjust.

at voila, good image produced.

I bought one of those little machine things that you connect to your computer but it just scanned the negatives as is, not in photo form. Is this normal or am I monging it?

I bought one of those little machine things that you connect to your computer but it just scanned the negatives as is, not in photo form. Is this normal or am I monging it?
I've got a cheap negative scanner, In the software interface there's a choice of slide or negative, perhaps if you scan a negative as a slide it will show in negative.

For negative / slide just use any free or expensive photo software of your choice to reverse the colours

For the OPs method, any good light source as a background will work to scan a negative into a scanner.
It can be possible to raise the scanners backing for the scanners light to bounce through, but results will vary

To get the best results a proper negative/slide scanner is best. They can be picked up for a reasonable price and 2nd hand ones turn up on WEX and MPB quite often.

To get the best results a proper negative/slide scanner is best. They can be picked up for a reasonable price and 2nd hand ones turn up on WEX and MPB quite often.
Just to add that it is worth checking system requirements for the scanners as a lot of them are Windows only or Windows and Mac.

Linux will work with the vast majority of scanners.

I have an ancient Epson 2400 which came with a film and 35mm slide adapter. It works with both Linux and Windows.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
I have a slide/negatives scanner 'TV 6500 SF ' that I bought from ALDI for I think about £30 in 2011. If you tell it you are reading negatives it reverses the colour for you. I mostly use it to rescue boxes of 35mm slides from my travels which were all losing their colour.

It came with ArcSoft MediaImpression Software for Windows which is independently useful for straightening and cropping pictures.