Scanning photo albums

Up until Win7 I never had a problem scanning pics from very old photo albums. Sadly HP wouldn't update the drivers to my trusty 10 year old scanner so I've have to find a replacement. I seem to have lost the plot, flushed grey cells down the china throne or something. Since then I haven't been able to find a halfway decent scanner which will actually scan, reliably, the image at actual size. I must be losing it because most Canon scanners can't handle the dpi, Epson ones try to double the size of the original image and HP ones keep breaking down.

I know part of the problem is how to use use the software with the scanner but I need something easy to use for when I'm visiting interviewees.

I'm hoping one of you can set me back on the right track because I really need to return a 1940s album to its owner.

Just put the Epson scanner software in professional mode and set whatever scanning resolution you require. For price/quality the Epsons are great and the scanning software is easy to use with a fair amount of control over the process is you need it.

If you have a good enough camera it's quicker to just rephotograph the album

Tropper's had his hand slapped, Tropper's had his hand slapped.

Was that was the OP asked? No, it wasn't.

You just can't ******* help yourself can you.
It's advice dipshit,As I am in the process of scanning/rephotographing almost 16.000 frames I think I'm getting quit good at this shit, and its a f@cking lot quicker and easier to re Photograph the f@cking lot, by a time scale of about 5.

It's advice dipshit,As I am in the process of scanning/rephotographing almost 16.000 frames I think I'm getting quit good at this shit, and its a f@cking lot quicker and easier to re Photograph the f@cking lot, by a time scale of about 5.
Shit advice if the OP doesn't have a decent camera. Bell end.

FFS most f@cking Phones will do it, and put it straight onto a online Photo account in seconds,

FFS most f@cking Phones will do it, and put it straight onto a online Photo account in seconds,
You're suggesting that the OP re-photographs all his photos with a camera phone?!!? You're either someone with very low standards/expectations, or you're a complete cock.

Actually, I take that back.....you're probably both.

Actually, I take that back also.....you are both!

You're suggesting that the OP re-photographs all his photos with a camera phone?!!? You're either someone with very low standards/expectations, or you're a complete cock.

Actually, I take that back.....you're probably both.

Actually, I take that back also.....you are both!
OH FFS try and catch up on modern tech.

Ah, I like Fridays, everyone is in a good mood because it's Poets Day, we've just been

paid and we are all full of the joys of spring and goodwill to all men, then Tropper bobs on

the scene and the shit hits the fan, want to borrow my tin lid Trops?

Ah, I like Fridays, everyone is in a good mood because it's Poets Day, we've just been

paid and we are all full of the joys of spring and goodwill to all men, then Tropper bobs on

the scene and the shit hits the fan, want to borrow my tin lid Trops?
He invented the tin lid.

"but I need something easy to use for when I'm visiting interviewees." says it all

Guys thanks for your answers so far. I didn't realise I'd need to keep a fire extinguisher handy ;-P

I can't handle a camera anymore due to nerve damage but I can rope in the other half perhaps for stuff I bring home - she's actually a good photographer. So thanks for the idea as I'd shelved it being an independent type.

Scanners. I need one which has no raised edge around the scanning bed as this can interfere with the quality of the scan. It must be reasonably portable and needs to take a minimum size of somewhere between A4 and A3 (so no all-in-ones) since it'll be dumped in the back of the car to travel wherever. My main HP replacement kept seizing up (4 replaced under warranty before HP decided to give me my money back instead of yet another replacement). So if you're aware of any models which fit in with my latest information please do tell. At the moment I'm driving 45 miles to the nearest suitable one which is well out of my wallet's ability to cover.

Just put the Epson scanner software in professional mode and set whatever scanning resolution you require. For price/quality the Epsons are great and the scanning software is easy to use with a fair amount of control over the process is you need it.
Did that with a SX515W but nothing is particularly sharp which is why I finally threw my hands up in despair today. Documents seem to be fine but any kind of image.... can't understand it.