Scandal - Motor insurance costs

I've just received an email from those nice people who insure my car, reading:
Dear Mr O'Breath,
You may have seen a story in the news which claims we use customers' names to price our insurance based on race. This is 100% not the case and we do not, and have never, used this information to provide a price to our customers. I'm sorry if this story has caused you any concerns.

To offer our prices we use a complex rating structure and rate on many different variables and data sources. The journalists have misunderstood our pricing structure and the insurance quotes in the story are not like for like.

This email is to offer you an explanation of the press story and to offer my apologies for any concern caused. There is no need for you to take any action.
This little furore seems to be the result of a 'Sun' piece today in which it turns out that if your Christian name is Mohammed (or presumably, any variation on the theme), your request for a quote from them results in a significantly higher sum being asked for; 'John', for instance, gets you a £919 discount over Achmed.

This is a disgrace; profiling like this is clearly the reason for my ridiculously high cover. Perhaps I should change my name to something with a lower alcohol content.

How can it be racially based ?- being called Mohammed is not a race, it's a religious thing and since when being a Muslim been a race?

It's a commercial decision by the Insurers as to whose business they want & whose they don't want - if they don't want to insure you they will f.ck you off at the high port, by quoting you a silly figure to take you on....

Still no excuse for multiple Mohammeds driving round with no insurance though....

How can it be racially based ?- being called Mohammed is not a race, it's a religious thing and since when being a Muslim been a race?

It's a commercial decision by the Insurers as to whose business they want & whose they don't want - if they don't want to insure you they will f.ck you off at the high port, by quoting you a silly figure to take you on....

Still no excuse for multiple Mohammeds driving round with no insurance though....
Ah, good, the old "Muslim is not a race so I can't be racist" ploy.
How about just bigotry and prejudice, then? Would that cover it?

Stats don't lie. More likely to make a claim, the higher the premium, simples.
One victim of the scandal — Mohammed Butt — raged: “It’s racism, pure and simple. They cannot say Mohammeds are worse drivers than Johns......
Victim Mr Butt told how Admiral initially quoted....

Last edited:
"if your Christian name is Mohammed"

Your...Christian...name?

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Forget this. Ever tried to get the aged parent (over 80 at the time)a reasonable insurance rate. One, own fault, accident in his entire driving career, unfortunately it was six months before his renewal.

Let’s try Age Concern or something and Saga for really old fart insurance, it didn’t end well.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
When you consider the fact that you can drive in this country for up to a year on your home license, I don't consider it an outrage if they're categorising by names which have a geographical link.

If I gave a ****, I'd check using names indigenous to countries with zero or shit driving tests and if it came back similar, I'd consider that common sense on the insurers part.

If they weren't driving like tossers they wouldn't get penalised by the insurance companies.

It's probably down to the fact that statistically across the world, a greater number of Mohammeds crash their cars into people or use them as SVIEDs than those who are named John do.

Last year, we sold my wife's seven year old two litre Volvo C30, for a nearly new BMW 535d. Our insurance came down from just under £698 to £404, and that was through Admiral.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
It's probably down to the fact that statistically across the world, a greater number of Mohammeds crash their cars into people or use them as SVIEDs than those who are named John do.

Last year, we sold my wife's seven year old two litre Volvo C30, for a nearly new BMW 535d. Our insurance came down from just under £698 to £404, and that was through Admiral.
And now every scammer in the country had had your details off them

And now every scammer in the country had had your details off them
I've had my fun and that's all that matters.

I think rising insurance costs are as much to do with fraud as profiling.

Recently, my car was hit by another car. I chose not to make a claim, but reported the collision. My insurers advised me to obtain a quote for repair before finalising my claim decision, and suggested a local firm, who quoted £2,400 for the repair through insurance. Obtaining two private quotes, at £700 and £900, I decided not to claim.

The £700 quote was from a local company who are contracted to Mercedes-Benz dealerships, so I don't imagine they'd do a bad job. Cut out the inflated repair pricing and insurance could possibly come down a tad.

IThis little furore seems to be the result of a 'Sun' piece today in which it turns out that if your Christian name is Mohammed (or presumably, any variation on the theme), your request for a quote from them results in a significantly higher sum being asked for; 'John', for instance, gets you a £919 discount over Achmed.

This is a disgrace; profiling like this is clearly the reason for my ridiculously high cover. Perhaps I should change my name to something with a lower alcohol content.
That's interesting.
I must get a quote in my Anglo-Saxon name from Crusader Insurance.