Scamming the state and the possibility of being caught.

The Government imposed lockdown has effectively killed my business. Even when it's lifted it is unlikely to return to previous levels due to the damage that has been wrought on the economy.

As I am self-employed I will benefit from the support package. However as it is based on net earnings it does not take account of the business bills which will keep coming in. Fortunately, unlike some I have fairly low overheads.

The support package does not kick in until June and the self employed have been told to apply for Universal Credit in the meantime. However as I have savings over the limit of £6k I do not qualify for it. Neither do I qualify for a reduction in Council Tax.

It also seems that if you mothball your business or take a temporary job that will disqualify you from the self employed support scheme.

My savings, such as they are have been accrued because I live modestly and are intended to fund my later years. I find it irksome that having done what I regard as the right thing, I am now disadvantaged compared to someone that pissed all their cash against a wall.

Therefore I am considering under reporting my savings and making a fraudulent claim to both the Government and council so I qualify for benefits.

Obviously I want to do this without getting caught and I'm wondering what steps they take to check what people are claiming to have are true.

My understanding is that the state can only delve into your bank accounts/investments if a court orders it, and as such assuming all my figures add up on the various applications I am unlikely to get looked at.

Appreciate any thoughts.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
I'll look after your savings for you..

Greetings from Nigeria.
You are very lucky Mr Memory, just send me you bank details and your savings worries will be over!

The Government imposed lockdown has effectively killed my business. Even when it's lifted it is unlikely to return to previous levels due to the damage that has been wrought on the economy.

As I am self-employed I will benefit from the support package. However as it is based on net earnings it does not take account of the business bills which will keep coming in. Fortunately, unlike some I have fairly low overheads.

The support package does not kick in until June and the self employed have been told to apply for Universal Credit in the meantime. However as I have savings over the limit of £6k I do not qualify for it. Neither do I qualify for a reduction in Council Tax.

It also seems that if you mothball your business or take a temporary job that will disqualify you from the self employed support scheme.

My savings, such as they are have been accrued because I live modestly and are intended to fund my later years. I find it irksome that having done what I regard as the right thing, I am now disadvantaged compared to someone that pissed all their cash against a wall.

Therefore I am considering under reporting my savings and making a fraudulent claim to both the Government and council so I qualify for benefits.

Obviously I want to do this without getting caught and I'm wondering what steps they take to check what people are claiming to have are true.

My understanding is that the state can only delve into your bank accounts/investments if a court orders it, and as such assuming all my figures add up on the various applications I am unlikely to get looked at.

Appreciate any thoughts.
Will be absolutely loads doing the same. Some of the scamming will be on a much higher magnitude than yours. Keep calm and carry on scamming.

If Sir Phillip and Sir Richard and Sir Stellios need a hand from the government ie; the taxpayer = me. Then you just do what you need to do to stay afloat. If I am on the jury I will be sympathetic.

Whilst the overwhelming volume of work will make it impossible to carry out adequate check.s

The Local Authority has RIPA, so have access to a lot of personal details and can obtain utility bills, share register information , bank information and the list goes on.

Councils are going to be strapped for cash in the future and this will be a revenue steam for them, I expect that they will be employing lots more fraud investigators for years to come.

Post Grenfell they would have learnt a few lessons

Pays your money takes your chances

Archie

When my mum got divorced she put her savings into an ISA she couldnt touch for some thing like 15 years. Over the years as she's a pensioner she applied for housing benefit or some such, which she got, she didnt declare her ISA, whether that was deliberate or just a mistake I dont know. Eventually she got found out. No idea how, she didnt live a frivolous lifestyle and no one knew about her ISA.
She got charged and had to go to court, but as she had paid back everything she owed, she only got a £700 fine, but it's still a criminal record.
I dont know how they find out, but they do and I'm pretty positive that anyone who tries to push their luck during this crisis will get well and trluy fucked. I'd be careful.

Rab_C

War Hero
Similar situation as I paid myself a minimal salary and took the rest of the money in dividends so will eventually get 80% of my minimal salary from the state. Long ago I had been planning to retire this year so had several investments maturing. Due to circumstances I can not afford to retire now so was going to reinvest my money for eventual retirement, but now however will have to use it to keep my head above water. I can only hope the state may help me when I eventually retire unless like the OP I make a fraudulent claim now.

Sorry to hear about your business, I hope you can relaunch once this crappy time is over.

Without wishing or intending to score points, how you're feeling is how those of us, like you, who've lived on the breadline for years whilst saving every penny we can for our retirement or a rainy day have been feeling for these past years of very low interest rates. At least you may have a slight chance of coming through this and borrowing from the banks at a very low rate to re-start your business!

If you choose to defraud the State during a worldwide pandemic, you will (eventually) be caught. You will be prosecuted like the Grenfell fraudsters and taking into account the gravity of the situation we and the public finances face, you will be punished harshly.
Your situation sounds tough. Why choose to make it much worse in the longer term?

The only possible way round it would be to transfer your savings to someone else (not your spouse), so in effect you no longer had them. Of course you would need to trust this person beyond question.

PM me yah!

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Appreciate any thoughts.
Hmrc trawl many databases and will certainly see interest earned

endure

GCM
"Obviously I want to do this without getting caught and I'm wondering what steps they take to check what people are claiming to have are true. "

Not announcing it on a public forum would be a start ;-)

Hmrc trawl many databases and will certainly see interest earned
Including offshore accounts and foreign banks that they shouldn't in theory have access to

3ToedSloth

Old-Salt
Unsurprisingly, banks and building societies reports your savings to HMRC.

What about some good old fashioned arson and insurance fraud instead?

Latest Threads