Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scammer or legitimate moron?

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
these muffins buy the debt online, Ebay advertise them and they try to get money of you and earn a percentage
however if you are honest, and in the right, they soon realise the costs are mounting up
never ever enter into telephone conversation with them
they tell you the calls are recorded, however they have a canny habit of leading the conversation, and using a standard dialogue to make you look guilty, and I have heard from more than one source that they have a habit of editing the conversations in their favour
Editing the conversation is exactly what they do! As a good friend of mine found out to his cost quite recently.

However, I sold a gash video camera to some fella from Melton Mowbray about three years ago and some time later, a rough-sounding geezer got in touch with me because the buyer wanted a refund. I'd already talked to the buyer about it and told him to return the camera and he'd get his refund. That never happened and he also gave no reason for wanting a refund in the first place.

Anyway, your man the rough-sounding geezer phoned me up and went into his spiel. Apparently, the trick is to carefully edit in the words "yes" and "no" in the right places afterwards to make you sound as if you're in the wrong and want to make amends. What he obviously didn't know is that there are no definite affirmatives or negatives in the Irish language and native Irish speakers rarely, if ever, directly say "yes" or "no" in English because their native language habits carry over when they switch to English ("I'll be after going then" is a typical example of that).

So the conversation went something like this:
Geezer: "Are you Mr XXX of XXX?"
Bugsy: "I am".
Geezer: "You sold a video camera to Mr XXX on XXX date. Is that correct?"
Bugsy: "It is".
Geezer: "Are you aware that Mr XXX is demanding a refund?"
Geezer: Is there any reason why you are refusing to submit the refund?"
Bugsy: "There is".
And so on and so forth, with your man there getting increasingly frustrated. He eventually just hung up on me and I never heard from him (or anyone else) again.

It was only after I'd read about all the sly editing malarky at a much later date that I realised I'd dodged a bullet, albeit totally unwittingly.

MsG

Editing the conversation is exactly what they do! As a good friend of mine found out to his cost quite recently.

However, I sold a gash video camera to some fella from Melton Mowbray about three years ago and some time later, a rough-sounding geezer got in touch with me because the buyer wanted a refund. I'd already talked to the buyer about it and told him to return the camera and he'd get his refund. That never happened and he also gave no reason for wanting a refund in the first place.

Anyway, your man the rough-sounding geezer phoned me up and went into his spiel. Apparently, the trick is to carefully edit in the words "yes" and "no" in the right places afterwards to make you sound as if you're in the wrong and want to make amends. What he obviously didn't know is that there are no definite affirmatives or negatives in the Irish language and native Irish speakers rarely, if ever, directly say "yes" or "no" in English because their native language habits carry over when they switch to English ("I'll be after going then" is a typical example of that).

And so on and so forth, with your man there getting increasingly frustrated. He eventually just hung up on me and I never heard from him (or anyone else) again.

It was only after I'd read about all the sly editing malarky at a much later date that I realised I'd dodged a bullet, albeit totally unwittingly.

MsG
True also for Welsh, and therefore for me.

they are useless and only interested in looking good, they do not have enough staff, complaints are done online and you can only use about 6 words before the system ignores you
reducing the amount of information you send them via the contact means the staff in india dont have to work so hard, or speak English properly
I had a complaint over a drunken old bullshit artist, who purchased stuff late at night paid for it then wanted his money back
he even collected the item from me, regaled me with his life story and all about his vast collection of rare motorcycles, then said that the item was not the one listed
it was a new motorcycle helmet and there were only two others in my garage, both of which I wear, a summer and a winter one
he expected a full refund
I closed my papypal account, and the bank said I was the third that morning
they refunded the drunken old fool from Cinderford without checking anything ( he was a moron of the first order)
and as they would not alow me to inform them of the facts, I sent a letter via registered post to the London HQ
never got a reply, in spite of giving all the facts , dates times etc

next thing some stroppy cow from Manchester rings up tries the hard woman act and threatens me, I was perfectly polite and said write to me
she did
I enclosed all the correspondence, proof of delivery of the letter
she came back saying I should have written to Ebay in wogga wogga or someplace
I wrote back sorry love, i pay in sterling the big posh office by the river is in the UK , let them forward it to wogga wogga
another shit threatening letter
replied very politely , I will see you in court with photographic evidence, dates and times etc and copies of all correspondence
got another shitty letter from this one room in an industrial unit hardcase
then no more replies

2 months later another bunch of Northern ******* ring me up, getting all heavy, again I explained I have kept eEbay fully informed and they have failed to reply, and if you persist in threatening me< then I will be at your premises at 9 am tommorow to deal with with it, and will charge you accordingly
then they wrote another standard threatening letter
again I replied giving all correspondence, and told them I would see them in court
they then offered me a chance to clear the debt for 50 pounds
( was over 130 pounds)
told them no, see you in court, let me know the date day time, and make it local to me or I will sue for reasonable expenses
I never heard back, but have kept all the letters
these muffins buy the debt online, Ebay advertise them and they try to get money of you and earn a percentage
however if you are honest, and in the right, they soon realise the costs are mounting up
they tell you the calls are recorded, however they have a canny habit of leading the conversation, and using a standard dialogue to make you look guilty, and I have heard from more than one source that they have a habit of editing the conversations in their favour

Ebay have got much too large, and think they rule the world, when all they care about are profits
thats why they have had so much Mainstream media advertising on the go recently
I have used Ebay for something like 14 years, for both myself and raising money for charity
but the sheer amount of chancers, drunken old men, liars, morons, cretins, and retards using it , combined with a poor service to the customer have put me right off
they have had around 7 grand out of me in charges over the years
but the other money making scams such as insisting that you use THEIR postal system ( which is over priced and shit) , and when you use your own service at half the price, they still charge you a percentage of the postal costs ??????
plus raising the fees way above the level they used to charge, and adding all sorts of other little hidden fees , tells me that they are scoundrels
Thank you. Consider me duly warned - and grateful!

SWJ99

War Hero
Paypal froze about £35 which I'd left in my account after selling some die cast model cars for a mate who was skint. I'd given my mate the cash and decided to leave the paypal balance as it was, so it was available next time I needed to buy something on ebay.
Anyway, one day payal emailed to say they'd frozen the money in the account due to 'possible irregularities'. They asked for proof of postage and if possible, proof of delivery of the model car, so I sent both to them, then rang them up and asked them to unfreeze the money. Muppet on phone said no, you have to wait. They never told me what the 'possible irregularities' were either.

I messaged the buyer and asked if he could shed any light on it. He wasn't interested, so I emailed him and paypal a letter before action, waited 7 days then issued county court proceedings against paypal UK as the 1st defendant (at their London address) and the buyer as 2nd defendant. Paypal put in a defence and said they knew nothing about, or which paypal account the claim related to. This was bullshit, because I'd messaged them via their own website with the case number.
The buyer didn't bother filing a defence so I obtained a default judgment against him. Then paypal printed out and sent me their entire user agreement, via UPS which I guess will have cost them at least as much as I was claiming against them.
Then paypal suddenly remembered which paypal account it was, and emailed to say they'd unfrozen the funds and credited my account with the court fees I'd paid, and please would I discontue the proceedings. The second defendant received a notification from the court that a judgment had been granted against him, so he had an eppy and emailed me because he reckoned I was going to ruin his credit rating while he was in the process of applying for a mortgage. I wrote to the court and made it clear the debt had been satisfied, so they didn't put it on the register of county court judgments for 6 years, and politely explained to matey that you should never ignore a court summons unless you've got nothing to lose or don't mind dodging the debt collectors for the next 6 years.
I bet if I'd just waited patiently, paypal wouldn't have unfrozen my money so quick, and sometimes, a summons through the door is the only language these faceless organizations understand.

RTU'd

War Hero
Pay me £108.
I do not want a PS4.
But will happily say you sell the best PS4's.
Then transfer the cash back to you, minus my commission/beer money after 30 days.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
If they tell you they're recording the call, tell them, "So am I" . (Best if you actually do.)

Send e-mail to CEO (see Companies House website, openly cc: your MP and Daily Mail/ Express/ red top of choice making your displeasure known.

Gets their attention.

MP and papers will almost certainly ignore, but it's out there and they have to consider the risk. Martin Lewis is another option. Bad publicity.

None of that happened jackanory

Unlike several members of your family.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
None of that happened jackanory
O, look! It's the spackerman up to his usual tricks of contaminating practically every thread I post on with his boring, repetitive bollix.

Let me just "translate" your post, spackerinski: "I don't want it to have happened, so it didn't".

So jog on, spackerman. All you'll post is your usual shite, but you might also attract the other gobshites and then the thread's Donald Ducked. And for what? Just so the spackerman can fire off a few more feeble-minded digs at me.

MsG

O, look! It's the spackerman up to his usual tricks of contaminating practically every thread I post on with his boring, repetitive bollix.

Let me just "translate" your post, spackerinski: "I don't want it to have happened, so it didn't".

So jog on, spackerman. All you'll post is your usual shite, but you might also attract the other gobshites and then the thread's Donald Ducked. And for what? Just so the spackerman can fire off a few more feeble-minded digs at me.

MsG

Bugsy you make up stories all the time, why is this time any different?

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Bugsy you make up stories all the time, why is this time any different?
Stop right there, spackerman! This is not your thread and it's not mine! It has already produced some valuable and interesting information for various ARRSErs and more may well be forthcoming. Yet you want to hijack it just so that you can get in a few more cheap licks at me. If you're sooo interested in discrediting me, then start a separate thread about it.

Oh, I forgot. There have been dozens of threads that you've actively taken part in for just that purpose. And what was the result? I'm still here, spackerinski. I'm still not taking you seriously and I'm still laughing at how utterly ridiculous you make yourself look with your totally deranged obsession with me.

So let that be the end of it on this thread!

MsG

Stop right there, spackerman! This is not your thread and it's not mine! It has already produced some valuable and interesting information for various ARRSErs and more may well be forthcoming. Yet you want to hijack it just so that you can get in a few more cheap licks at me. If you're sooo interested in discrediting me, then start a separate thread about it.

Oh, I forgot. There have been dozens of threads that you've actively taken part in for just that purpose. And what was the result? I'm still here, spackerinski. I'm still not taking you seriously and I'm still laughing at how utterly ridiculous you make yourself look with your totally deranged obsession with me.

So let that be the end of it on this thread!

MsG

Im merely pointing out that you are lying again, like you usually do.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
FFS you two, get a room, pack it in, there's good fellows, nobody's interested in your asinine sniping.

I only said he was lying as usual, like your "memory jogs" when you feel the need to join a thread.

they are useless and only interested in looking good, they do not have enough staff, complaints are done online and you can only use about 6 words before the system ignores you
reducing the amount of information you send them via the contact means the staff in india dont have to work so hard, or speak English properly
I had a complaint over a drunken old bullshit artist, who purchased stuff late at night paid for it then wanted his money back
he even collected the item from me, regaled me with his life story and all about his vast collection of rare motorcycles, then said that the item was not the one listed
it was a new motorcycle helmet and there were only two others in my garage, both of which I wear, a summer and a winter one
he expected a full refund
I closed my papypal account, and the bank said I was the third that morning
they refunded the drunken old fool from Cinderford without checking anything ( he was a moron of the first order)
and as they would not alow me to inform them of the facts, I sent a letter via registered post to the London HQ
never got a reply, in spite of giving all the facts , dates times etc

next thing some stroppy cow from Manchester rings up tries the hard woman act and threatens me, I was perfectly polite and said write to me
she did
I enclosed all the correspondence, proof of delivery of the letter
she came back saying I should have written to Ebay in wogga wogga or someplace
I wrote back sorry love, i pay in sterling the big posh office by the river is in the UK , let them forward it to wogga wogga
another shit threatening letter
replied very politely , I will see you in court with photographic evidence, dates and times etc and copies of all correspondence
got another shitty letter from this one room in an industrial unit hardcase
then no more replies

2 months later another bunch of Northern ******* ring me up, getting all heavy, again I explained I have kept eEbay fully informed and they have failed to reply, and if you persist in threatening me< then I will be at your premises at 9 am tommorow to deal with with it, and will charge you accordingly
then they wrote another standard threatening letter
again I replied giving all correspondence, and told them I would see them in court
they then offered me a chance to clear the debt for 50 pounds
( was over 130 pounds)
told them no, see you in court, let me know the date day time, and make it local to me or I will sue for reasonable expenses
I never heard back, but have kept all the letters

Ebay have got much too large, and think they rule the world, when all they care about are profits
thats why they have had so much Mainstream media advertising on the go recently
I have used Ebay for something like 14 years, for both myself and raising money for charity
but the sheer amount of chancers, drunken old men, liars, morons, cretins, and retards using it , combined with a poor service to the customer have put me right off
they have had around 7 grand out of me in charges over the years
but the other money making scams such as insisting that you use THEIR postal system ( which is over priced and shit) , and when you use your own service at half the price, they still charge you a percentage of the postal costs ??????
plus raising the fees way above the level they used to charge, and adding all sorts of other little hidden fees , tells me that they are scoundrels
So are PayPal on your Christmas card list or not?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Jaisus! I hope they get rid of the gobshite (spackerman), really I do.

MsG
I only said he was lying as usual, like your "memory jogs" when you feel the need to join a thread.
I am not passing any comment whatever on this thread, merely inviting the moderators to tidy up.

I have no dog in the fight thread.

MsG
The old yes or no game