Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scammer or legitimate moron?

Mattb

LE
Just recieved an email from someone asking whether I'm eBay account so-and-so and whether I'm selling a PlayStation, and if not could I please refund the £108 that he's paid to me. Needless to say I'm not eBay user so-and-so and I'm selling a PS4, neither is there any obvious way which he could confuse me with him. It's a .co.uk address so that the scam is in £ doesn't seem that odd.

What I suspect is that this is a scam; I send him £108 and then he puts in some sort of claim for the original £108 saying that his PlayStation hasn't turned up (because clearly it won't) and gets that, leaving me £108 out of pocket. Handily, my card has expired and I haven't got around to updating the details on PayPal yet, making charging me rather tricky. So my thought is that I just create a new PayPal account with a different email address, transfer the money to myself, sit on it for a while and see what happens - and then donate a decent sum of my unexpected fortune to the Poppy Appeal and spend several minutes laughing heartily at the scammers.

Any thoughts or advice?

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
dont reply to his email
once you do that they know you exist
close your paypal account as well
check your ebay account to see if the password has been hacked , Ebay security is shite with a capital S
they spend millions on a posh wanky HQ in SUrrey but wont employ enough staff here, outsouricing it all to India
if they folded this week I would not shed a tear

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Change your password now.
Use one of at least 15 characters. Use at least one symbol, random caps and lower case.
Don't make it a word.
Do it right now.

Ritch

LE
Change your password now.
Use one of at least 15 characters. Use at least one symbol, random caps and lower case.
Don't make it a word.
Do it right now.

Alright, bossy! ;)

If you're not the seller, and haven't received any money, why don't you just block him?

I don't get all the panic about changing passwords. All that's happened is that you got an email, and I don't expect that you clicked on any links in the email?

Mattb

LE
Has your Paypal account had £108 transferred into it?
Yes.
If you're not the seller, and haven't received any money, why don't you just block him?

I don't get all the panic about changing passwords. All that's happened is that you got an email, and I don't expect that you clicked on any links in the email?
Most certainly not.
Use your army number, everyone else on arrse has.
I don't have an army number...

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I was going to use @jarrod248 s reggi number

"IV"

but it's too short as a password. his original number was "I" but a Combat Scribe cockup meant he had a new one

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt
I though these were the modern equivalent of the cheque that gets paid in "by mistake" and appears on your balance, you refund them the money, then the cheque never clears and the bank whisk it back off your balance leaving you out of pocket.

Mattb

LE
I though these were the modern equivalent of the cheque that gets paid in "by mistake" and appears on your balance, you refund them the money, then the cheque never clears and the bank whisk it back off your balance leaving you out of pocket.
That was exactly my thought.

Put £500 in his PayPal account then email him asking for a refund because it was paid in error.

That should let him know that he's playing with one of the big boys.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I'd be inclined to contact eBay.
they are useless and only interested in looking good, they do not have enough staff, complaints are done online and you can only use about 6 words before the system ignores you
reducing the amount of information you send them via the contact means the staff in india dont have to work so hard, or speak English properly
I had a complaint over a drunken old bullshit artist, who purchased stuff late at night paid for it then wanted his money back
he even collected the item from me, regaled me with his life story and all about his vast collection of rare motorcycles, then said that the item was not the one listed
it was a new motorcycle helmet and there were only two others in my garage, both of which I wear, a summer and a winter one
he expected a full refund
I closed my papypal account, and the bank said I was the third that morning
they refunded the drunken old fool from Cinderford without checking anything ( he was a moron of the first order)
and as they would not alow me to inform them of the facts, I sent a letter via registered post to the London HQ
never got a reply, in spite of giving all the facts , dates times etc

next thing some stroppy cow from Manchester rings up tries the hard woman act and threatens me, I was perfectly polite and said write to me
she did
I enclosed all the correspondence, proof of delivery of the letter
she came back saying I should have written to Ebay in wogga wogga or someplace
I wrote back sorry love, i pay in sterling the big posh office by the river is in the UK , let them forward it to wogga wogga
another shit threatening letter
replied very politely , I will see you in court with photographic evidence, dates and times etc and copies of all correspondence
got another shitty letter from this one room in an industrial unit hardcase
then no more replies

2 months later another bunch of Northern ******* ring me up, getting all heavy, again I explained I have kept eEbay fully informed and they have failed to reply, and if you persist in threatening me< then I will be at your premises at 9 am tommorow to deal with with it, and will charge you accordingly
then they wrote another standard threatening letter
again I replied giving all correspondence, and told them I would see them in court
they then offered me a chance to clear the debt for 50 pounds
( was over 130 pounds)
told them no, see you in court, let me know the date day time, and make it local to me or I will sue for reasonable expenses
I never heard back, but have kept all the letters
these muffins buy the debt online, Ebay advertise them and they try to get money of you and earn a percentage
however if you are honest, and in the right, they soon realise the costs are mounting up
never ever enter into telephone conversation with them
they tell you the calls are recorded, however they have a canny habit of leading the conversation, and using a standard dialogue to make you look guilty, and I have heard from more than one source that they have a habit of editing the conversations in their favour

Ebay have got much too large, and think they rule the world, when all they care about are profits
thats why they have had so much Mainstream media advertising on the go recently
I have used Ebay for something like 14 years, for both myself and raising money for charity
but the sheer amount of chancers, drunken old men, liars, morons, cretins, and retards using it , combined with a poor service to the customer have put me right off
they have had around 7 grand out of me in charges over the years
but the other money making scams such as insisting that you use THEIR postal system ( which is over priced and shit) , and when you use your own service at half the price, they still charge you a percentage of the postal costs ??????
plus raising the fees way above the level they used to charge, and adding all sorts of other little hidden fees , tells me that they are scoundrels

Latest Threads