Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by notmesir, Jul 6, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have just received a phone call from someone claiming to be a representative from the company that deals with my mobile phone insurance. He basically told me that the insurance was going to be cut to half price. Good news - though a little iffy. Not sure the actuaries would suddenly say that they were recommending charges 100% over the odds. He said it would be a one-off payment of £69.99 and which card would I like to pay it on. I asked for it to be sent to me in writing and he replied that they didn't send out any written details, to which I said that I didn't want to pay out 69.99 in one payment, but would prefer to pay it in monthly installments. At this point he put the phone down on me. I presume this was some sort of scam and not just some telesales person getting p*ssed of at yet another awkward bugger. Thought I should let people know just in case.....
  2. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I have recently had a call from 'the company you got your mobile phone from'. He was reading from a prepared script, and speaking very quickly, but the premise was basically that I could upgrade to a (insert gucci handset name), on a brand new tariff, and all for an 'admin fee' of only £99!

He said it was a one-time offer and nothing was being sent out in writing because it was so secret. When asked for his name and the company name he hung up.

At the weekend I received 3 emails, all from different addresses, purporting to come from 'A&A Group', and stating that I may have been approached by 'Chipped Insurance' who are evidently credit card scammers. The email says the police are involved, but I am invited to phone A&A to tell them of my dealings with Chipped Insurance. Needless to say, neither company can be found in any search. I suspect that this is another scam, where calling the number will either lead to a request for credit card info (for confirmation), or an attempt to sell non-existent insurance. I am tempted to ring the number (from work), just to see if there's a Nigerian on the other end....
  3. :D
    The guy who rang me sounded english - but he had a weird accent and sounded like a right smarmy tw@t. Not sure that would be much help to the police though.
  4. This is what I do:

(A)If I think that it's a scam or it's telesales/cold calling, I always ask them to hold the line while I turn the bath water off then I leave the phone for 10 mins and hang up. They are paying for the call :)

(B) If I've run out of Jack Daniels....I say, are you cold calling & trying to flog me something...they say, yes....I say, f*ck off then.

(C) er..... thats it