Scam phone calls

Endless fun. Due to accents everything they say must be repeated at least three times. If it's a survey I'm 90 and earn £150,000 a year my fridge is a Honda my car is a dulux and I get my electric from Thames water
bank details can be given with random numbers but right amount of numbers and a sort code ask them if they can get someone who speaks English (made a jock lady hang up) at any point start ordering a curry and ask them for free poppadoms and when they will be delivering it. If I'm not busy I like to see how long I can string it out. Anything over 15 mins is a winner. Microsoft techs are best as long as I'm careful as my it skills are weak. How many times can you enter the wrong digits? Many!
When they realise what's going on I then set the rudeness levels to 11. Quite honestly it's excellent sport if you are not busy.
Thanks for the tips, I particularly like the ordering curry bit.

I got a street sh*tter on the phone this morning he said "I can stop all the nuisance calls you get"
I replied "but you are a nuisance call" CLICK gone

ugly

LE
I got a street sh*tter on the phone this morning he said "I can stop all the nuisance calls you get"
I replied "but you are a nuisance call" CLICK gone
Five recorded message calls claiming to be talk talk it support again today!

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Always worth registering with TPS , it reduces call numbers. There is also a dodgy call reporting facility.

You can also ask the caller if they are related to the waiter in your local Indian , stress that they sound so similar !

Sometimes I do pick up when I spot the local number is fake. I answer in a really old somewhat deaf chap voice.
Income Tax.
Heroooooo, whooooooo is it. Jack nooooooo he's not in, are you his new boyfriend?
Fake Diabetes Charity
Heroooooo, nooooooo I don't know a Diane Beatties is Diane coming over?
Duct Cleaning
Heroooooo, Ducks noooooo I don't have any ducks, I have a cat but noooo ducks.

I usually keep going until they hang up, or if they keep trying I end it with "F Off yo dumb sh!t !!

It makes the wife laugh if nothing else.

Anything over 15 mins is a winner.
The moments leading up to the point when they crack can be entertaining, but one must never overplay the hand. Some of the youtube videos showing people reversing the hack are good; one managed to turn on the scammer's computer camera, which was quite amusing.

Last edited:
I work for a telecoms company and we've had a lot of reports of these recently
Consumers warned about 070 missed call scam

Even though some numbers have been capped some older numbers are still gaining revenue.
Tackling the problem
Ofcom recognises that consumers generally see 07 numbers as relating to mobiles, and so there is potential for confusion as well as misuse. We are working closely with industry and our co-regulator PhonePayPlus to assess the scale and nature of misuse of this range, and we will put forward proposals to address this later in the year.

we will put forward proposals to address this later in the year. You what? Why not get your finger out now, you useless bunch of tossers.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
"John" from Microsoft Windows Security was on the phone just now to tell me they'd detected hacking activity on my computer, Could I confirm that I was Mr CivvyScum living at Mr. CivvyScum's address for security purposes?

So I started calling him Gupta, as you do when presented with a sub-continental accent and told him it was amazing that they'd detected hacking activity on my computer as I didn't own one. Gupta/John then told me it must be my iPhone or tablet that was the problem. I told him I owned no such device and there was about as much chance of him actually being called John as there was of me believing any of the shit he was telling me.

He then called me - and I quote, "A f*****g liar, you do have a computer, you should hang up on me if you don't", to which I responded that he'd rung me and he should hang up first. Which he duly did, the obedient little dusky chap.

Who do I complain to at Microsoft about one of their employees calling me a f*****g liar?
The most annoying part is that they assume we are 'Gullible'. I pretend to do all that they ask of me, and when I get to the control button as instructed by Gupter, I tell them that I have pressed it. Mr Gupter then gets very excited and asks 'What do you see on the screen?" I pause a moment then I say, "I see a big black greasy bastard perhaps an Indian trying to scam me" I have done this twice this past few weeks, it was a man on the first occasion and a women most recently, both of them told me to 'Feck off'

Tackling the problem
Ofcom recognises that consumers generally see 07 numbers as relating to mobiles, and so there is potential for confusion as well as misuse. We are working closely with industry and our co-regulator PhonePayPlus to assess the scale and nature of misuse of this range, and we will put forward proposals to address this later in the year.

we will put forward proposals to address this later in the year. You what? Why not get your finger out now, you useless bunch of tossers.
it was a 2016 post and they have put a cap on but quite a few scammers are still trying it on. You call them back and then get put in a queue as the minutes tick by.

My company has a call centre - relax now, no unsolicited outgoing calls. I was recently “pitched” by a company selling a robot for call centre use and I was absolutely amazed at how realistic it had become. It responded really well with supplementary questions when the dialogue got tricky and was really good. That is the future I’m afraid.

My company has a call centre - relax now, no unsolicited outgoing calls. I was recently “pitched” by a company selling a robot for call centre use and I was absolutely amazed at how realistic it had become. It responded really well with supplementary questions when the dialogue got tricky and was really good. That is the future I’m afraid.

I tried ringing HMRC a while ago, and they've got this crap installed...... after 20 minutes, I got fed up, and told the android where to go.

Or answer "Thank you for calling the NCA. Please stay on the line while we trace your call location, so the house entry team can smash your front door in".

Or answer "Thank you for calling the NCA. Please stay on the line while we trace your call location, so the house entry team can smash your front door in".
Or

Or answer "Thank you for calling the ARRSE Polis. Please stay on the line while we trace your call location, so the house entry team can smash your rear door in"

Such call are a scourge in the US too. Lately a lot will display a number with a local area code and the next three an exchange used for cell phone plus 4 digits for a usually unassigned number. Last week I got 5 calls in one day for "Credit Card Servicing - because of your excellent payment record you are entitled to a new card with no interest....". I also get a lot of calls allegedly from National Grid wanting to reduce my electric bill.
One time I called back to a scam number and it was answered by some elderly man with an Italian accent who was being driven nuts by callbacks from people who saw his caller ID on their phone.

Being retired I sometimes have time on my hands and when I get a call from the Microsoft office in India telling me a virus has been detected on my windows computer. I tell them I don't have Windows and they tell me all computers have Microsoft software on them. I explain that my MacBook Pro runs OS X version 10.14.3 which is not Microsoft, I have a Mac tower that now boots from Red Hat Linux Version 6 and the only Microsoft software on my computers is an old IBM AT which runs on Xenix which came out before Windows had been invented. (Actually I only have a MacBook Pro with OS X Mojave) It drives the the Indian caller nuts. I figure that the more of his time I waste the less time he has to get people a bit more gullible to give him access to their computer.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
The most annoying part is that they assume we are 'Gullible'.
I am the same with spam emails. I often get emails from 'Apple ID' that are so so bad. I am often tempted to email back to tell them how stupid they are due to bad grammar etc. But then they might learn from it and make it harder for next time.