Scam phone calls

Not a phone call, but a knock on the door. Some bloke asking if I wanted to buy an orthopaedic mattress as he had a couple on his van which were surplus to an order he had just delivered "around the corner". Smelling a rodent, I told him "No thanks" and off he trotted to the next house where he asked the same question and got the same answer. I watched him as he tried several other houses.

I spotted his van, noted the number, then I rang Trading Standards who said "Thank you very much for the vehicle reg. We've been after this scammer for a while".

Apparently, the scrote was using the mattress scam as a recce trip. According to TS, several house-holders had reported break-ins not long after buying one of his dodgy mattresses.

Londo

LE
Mrs Londo answered a call on Friday .
It was the Microsoft help desk telling us our computer had been compromised .
Not had one of these Microsoft ones for a while now .
After feigning interest for a couple of minutes she got fed up and said he was an ignorant little man and he should F*** off and hung up .
Ten seconds later he's phoned back with a mouth full of abuse .
Another ten seconds he's phoned again and told her what she said had been recorded and would be reported to the police :eek:

She must have really rattled his cage :-D and I hope it was @earth she upset .
I've been telling her that the Indian police would be contacting Interpol and the arrest warrant for her extradition should be arriving soon .

I must be in some serious s**t! I've had four calls telling me a magistrate will issue a warrant for my arrest for tax evasion unless I press '1' and speak to an officer. All from 07736 077718 - now blocked.

Slime

LE
I must be in some serious s**t! I've had four calls telling me a magistrate will issue a warrant for my arrest for tax evasion unless I press '1' and speak to an officer. All from 07736 077718 - now blocked.

Always press 1.
It seems to really annoy the call handler if you tell them you WANT to go straight to jail as there is something nice on the menu tonight :)

Don't do it, it's a scam

anglo

LE
Always press 1.
It seems to really annoy the call handler if you tell them you WANT to go straight to jail as there is something nice on the menu tonight :)
The scam begins when you receive a missed call from a number beginning 070 or 076.

These numbers are used because they look like '07' mobile phone numbers but can cost considerably more to call.

When you ring the number back, the call is immediately dropped or an engaged tone is played and the victim is charged. Some callers have also heard a recorded voice suggesting a bad line, encouraging the caller to ring back and be charged a second time.

If you receive a missed call from a number beginning 070 or 076 that you do not recognise, do not call it back.

Funny not had a cal, in months,
Mrs Londo answered a call on Friday .
It was the Microsoft help desk telling us our computer had been compromised .
Not had one of these Microsoft ones for a while now .
After feigning interest for a couple of minutes she got fed up and said he was an ignorant little man and he should F*** off and hung up .
Ten seconds later he's phoned back with a mouth full of abuse .
Another ten seconds he's phoned again and told her what she said had been recorded and would be reported to the police :eek:

She must have really rattled his cage :-D and I hope it was @earth she upset .
I've been telling her that the Indian police would be contacting Interpol and the arrest warrant for her extradition should be arriving soon .
when they ask for my password I always say ,
“Oh it’s phonetic so …

You Stinky Brown Shitty Scammer die in Hell and have a Good Day ,

Slime

LE
The scam begins when you receive a missed call from a number beginning 070 or 076.

These numbers are used because they look like '07' mobile phone numbers but can cost considerably more to call.

When you ring the number back, the call is immediately dropped or an engaged tone is played and the victim is charged. Some callers have also heard a recorded voice suggesting a bad line, encouraging the caller to ring back and be charged a second time.

If you receive a missed call from a number beginning 070 or 076 that you do not recognise, do not call it back.

Pressing option one doesn’t involve putting the phone down or ringing anyone back.

I’ve been doing this for a couple of years, and never been charged for anything.

Slime

LE
@anglo

I do the same with the calls asking if I’ve had an accident.

I tell the second operator that the accident was really bad and that I died.

I can normally say I died and am now a ghost before they understand what I’ve said, but then when I get to the ghostly wooooooo, woooooooo they just seem to get all angry and put the phone down :)

Pressing option one doesn’t involve putting the phone down or ringing anyone back.

I’ve been doing this for a couple of years, and never been charged for anything.
Just got a female voice from" BT messaging service, from number 08456021111, press 1 to hear." I hung up.
Anyone know if this is genuine , or a scam?

Edit:- just got another one" From the BT SMS messaging service from number 67975, to hear the message press 1".....i hung up.... again i ask, is this a scam?

Last edited:

Slime

LE
Just got a female voice from" BT messaging service, from number 08456021111, press 1 to hear." I hung up.

No idea.
I only ever stay on the original call, and would never call anyone back if I thought it was a scam.

Even if I think it is genuine I would return a call from a different phone in case it’s the old scam trick of the scammer keeping the original phone line live.

For any numbers you don’t know, you can always enter it on one of the ‘who called me’ websites, and see any comments on the number.

No idea.
I only ever stay on the original call, and would never call anyone back if I thought it was a scam.

Even if I think it is genuine I would return a call from a different phone in case it’s the old scam trick of the scammer keeping the original phone line live.

For any numbers you don’t know, you can always enter it on one of the ‘who called me’ websites, and see any comments on the number.
Thank you for your prompt reply.

No idea.

I have entered both numbers as required, and both came up as extremely suspect. Again many thanks for the heads up. :salut:

Last edited:

Edit:- just got another one" From the BT SMS messaging service from number 67975, to hear the message press 1".....i hung up.... again i ask, is this a scam?

Try the whois phone number lookup.

Edit: bugger! Too late, again.

Me too. I tend to lead the Microsoft calls to the virus being the fake MS caller, lol

anglo

LE

Regard it as a scam,

I wouldn't worry, they aren't very efficient I didnt get beyond 'Ello' in a Monganese accent when they hung up on me - How rude.

I was looking forward to being arrested and 'being putting you in the jail'.

Latest Threads