Scam phone calls

Slime

LE
I got one the other day from 01142994735, a very posh English voice, asked for me by name, wanting to know if i was interested in a pools service. I have no idea what that is. I was more interested to know where he got my name and number from.

A text not a phone call.

The wife wanted to know why her mobile account was $120 in arrears, "My last bill three days ago I was in credit" she wailed "What did you buy?"< WTF! ME? I pull up her account on-line, yep she's deffo in credit.

The text was from a completely random number stating:

'Your Mobile account is $120.06 in arrears follow this link to e-transfer the full amount to avoid immediate suspension of service. The link was to 'Mobile Pay Services' which I didn't click.

"Forget it, it's a scam text 1) It's a fake number, 2) In North America we call them Cellphones not Mobiles, 3) they don't mention the name of your provider, and 4) You would have heard from your provider waaay before it got to this stage."

Thank God she said I was about to pay it.

But that's exactly how they work. Send out a million+ text to cell numbers, ask for a relatively small amount of cash, and rely on unsuspecting honest people to transfer the money, a 10% return is all they need to rake in serious coin.

Just had an email from G4S

Dear Friend Hot Alice Waiting For You Message sluttyone.com,

I am delighted to announce that the new G4S Global Career Centre has launched, which gives you access to more job opportunities because it brings together all G4S vacancies from across our business units.

In addition it gives you access to;
  • detailed information about G4S, the work we do and how you can fit in,
  • employee videos and case studies,
  • discussions and groups,
  • job seeker resources,
  • an automatic job seeker profile creation tool which works by simply uploading your CV,
  • continuous advanced matching which will recommend jobs that are ideally suited to your profile.
We have created an account for you which you need to update and verify.

To do this, please click the following link or paste it into your browser and login using the username and password provided below:

You can log in at Welcome to the G4S Career Center - Register or Login
Your username is: xxxxxxxxxxxxx.com
Your password is: 3dJDnp3JWkL

When logged in you will be able to change your password to the one you are used to by clicking on the settings link, and complete and verify your profile.

This will enable you to apply for jobs, be continuously matched to all of our latest vacancies, join in the latest discussions and access the job seeker resources section.

We look forward to getting to know you.

Best regards,

Head of Resourcing, G4S

"Hello Mr 76mill, it's Malcom here from Windows, jolly good day to you".
"This is Detective Inspector Smith from New Scotland Yard, any reason for you ringing a murder scene?"

Brrrrrrrrr.

Tyk

LE
I just got a text message telling me that my Royal Mail parcel has an unpaid shipping fee and I need to give them 3 quid or the parcel will be returned.

The cheeky little scamps have set up a reasonably convincing website that has all of the links at the bottom going to the real Royal Mail website. The address is www.pay-delivery-royalmail.com.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out they're making a tidy profit off that.

Had one of those yesterday. Slightly oddly I'd had a Royal Mail parcel delivery that lunchtime, regular post lady at the normal time. Knowing her she'd have told me if there was a problem parcel. Not forgetting that the number it came in on was a temporary one I've not given to anyone as I'm mid changing airtime provider and have 2 SIMs at the moment.

My land line (a number I don't know and have given to nobody) occasionally rings with the bad robotic voices saying various agencies are about to kick in my door and drag me off to pokey, they're not very original.

I got one the other day from 01142994735, a very posh English voice, asked for me by name, wanting to know if i was interested in a pools service. I have no idea what that is. I was more interested to know where he got my name and number from.

Who Called Me

Scroll down a few sections - Mostly football pools scamming but there is the odd HMRC / Lloyds Bank scams mentioned too.

The number has been searched for 14,001 times with 138 reports left.

This is a useful site.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
"Hello Mr 76mill, it's Malcom here from Windows, jolly good day to you".
"This is Detective Inspector Smith from New Scotland Yard, any reason for you ringing a murder scene?"

Brrrrrrrrr.

Tom Mabe walt

These thieving bastards are advertising all over Facebook and probably a lot of other sites as well,

They offer a service to claim back tax, then take most of it from the poor mug that falls for it.

Every time they advertise, I'll scream "Scam " in comments....... help bring them down.

If you are eligible, one tax- paying partner, one under the limit, you can offset about £200 a year, backdated.

We went through the kosher HMRC site about 6 weeks ago, took 10 minutes........ just got a cheque for £950, plus altered tax code for future.

First scam call in weeks, well spoken Indian..... knew my name....... told me he was with Microsoft Technical, illegal activity on my ISP, let him chunter through his script.

I thanked him for finding the time to warn me when he must be having such a difficult time himself, burning his grandmother, and ******* his cousin........

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Hello sir it's Tim from Anglian Windows

Short spiel about Anglian and a buy one, get something "free" offer with no-obligation quote

I listen politely because he's being polite and is obviously English

Me: wow, that must be the best offer I've had in years....

Pause.

You're not interested in windows are you?

Me: No, I've just moved into a house that has all brand new double glazing fitted. Please remove my number from your database.

He has the good grace to apologise for calling.

I'm polite to him and actually feel sorry for him because he's probably stuck in a call centre only getting paid if he brings a lead in.

In this case the real scammers are the double glazing companies that only pay him a decent wage on commission.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hello sir it's Tim from Anglian Windows

Short spiel about Anglian and a buy one, get something "free" offer with no-obligation quote

I listen politely because he's being polite and is obviously English

Me: wow, that must be the best offer I've had in years....

Pause.

You're not interested in windows are you?

Me: No, I've just moved into a house that has all brand new double glazing fitted. Please remove my number from your database.

He has the good grace to apologise for calling.

I'm polite to him and actually feel sorry for him because he's probably stuck in a call centre only getting paid if he brings a lead in.

In this case the real scammers are the double glazing companies that only pay him a decent wage on commission.
No sympathy. If he had tried harder at school, he could get a proper job :)

No sympathy. If he had tried harder at school, he could get a proper job :)
He's probably got a Media Studies degree or something equally useful.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
There was an SO2 ED and I job I saw on the FTRS website and said to the wife 'I'd be really good at that'. She went out of the door to work laughing her tits off

Had one the other day, usual spiel "Calling about your accident" etc, etc. She was a very well spoken Indian lady so I started asking her if she was wearing lacy underwear or was she naked underneath her sari. She only faltered for a second but started to stumble on the script when I started asking her if she liked high heels and did she enjoy walking around naked in her apartment in the hot weather whilst wearing them. To her credit she knew the jig was up and she did have a nice come back with "No, but I would if you bought me some" but by that time we were both giggling so I thanked her for playing the game and rang off.

Well played to her