Scam phone calls

Another one, pretty low rent, caller claiming to be offering "oven cleaning services".

Only needed to pay a £50 "deposit" via bank transfer in order to secure a booking, which of course owing to Covid could not happen until mid April at the earliest.
deposit ? ...thats how much it costs total

We've just had another "your BT account details have been compromised...."

Smashing ... except that we're not with BT.

Note that the phone number is a throwaway number rented for a month from a number seller (I understand that under EU regs for opening up network access and competition law BT has to allow sales of numbers by other providers). Genie now out of bottle and you can rent an "unbundled" number for less than £10 per month. Thanks EU.

Doesn't matter if you block them as they will have rented another block of numbers next month.

They then use a random number generator to dial thousands of numbers. If the number answers then it is registered as "live" and saved on a database for the scammers.

If 1 in 100 actually speaks to them, it's a good return, and if 1 in 1,000 gets scammed then they are well in profit.

I had that. Just ignore such things, but it did remind me I needed to call BT about something else though, so a win for me.

deposit ? ...thats how much it costs total
True, although I wouldn't trust any telephone cold callers, we know of a couple locally who make use of an oven-cleaning man probably quarterly. He disconnects the cooker - I'm guessing it's not an Aga - takes it into the garden and gives it a good going over. They say that when he's finished it looks fresh from the showroom. They obviously feel it's worth getting someone to do a job that most people find a bit of a chore.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
I've just this minute had the HMRC "we're about to arrest you" calls. What really gets me is how anyone can fall for this bullshit. All it takes is a little common sense and..... Ummm..... You got me there.

I've just this minute had the HMRC "we're about to arrest you" calls. What really gets me is how anyone can fall for this bullshit. All it takes is a little common sense and..... Ummm..... You got me there.
I had this one the other day. Bellends

Just got another one, a recorded message" I am calling you from a pool agency, We tried to call you but you did not reply, we will call you again" WHAT?... I retired from full time work 5 years ago.

I’ve now had two recent one’s from the Inland Revenue announcing my imminent arrest.

Then a different tack but another one yesterday. I was just dropping my brother off from a hospital visit. It was an asian sounding guy possibly from either India or Pakistan. Legible English but not great.

It went like this!

Caller - ”Hello, I’m calling about the accident that you had that wasn’t your fault.”

Me - ”Oh ok yes what about it?”

A brief pause and then.

Caller - ”Can you tell me the date that it happened please?”

Me - ”Well it was about four weeks ago. I’d couldn’t tell you the exact date now without looking at a calendar and I’m in my car at the moment.”

Caller - ”Ok. Can you tell me what happened please?”

Me - ”Yes I was driving a horse and cart for the Sherrif of Nottingham in Sherwood Forest. Some of his guard rode past me on their horses and claimed that I hit them. I didn’t though. They hit me!”

Caller - ”Ok can you repeat that that please. I didn’t get all of it.”

So I repeat my story.

Caller - ”Ok, did you suffer any injuries?”

Me - “Yes I lost my left leg.”

Caller - ”You lost what sorry?”

Me - “I lost my left leg!”

Caller - “Just a minute sir, let me get my supervisor. Hang on.”

Supervisor comes to the conversation.

Supervisor - ”Hello sir. Can you tell me what happened again please?”

Me - ”Hello. Yes I was driving a horse and cart for the Sherrif of Nottingham in Sherwood Forest. Some of his guard rode past me on their horses and claimed that I hit them. I didn’t though. They hit me!”

Supervisor - “I see and did you suffer some injuries?”

Me - ”Yes I lost my left leg!”

Supervisor - ”I see. Did the other person suffer any injuries?”

Me - ”No. He was ok. He was wearing armour!”

Then the phone went beep beep and they’d gone!

My brother was in the car with me and had to get out because he was having difficulty trying to keep quite.

An amusing five minutes. On a serious note. These type of calls seem to be getting a second wind because I’ve heard of a number of people local to me getting them now.

Last edited:
There are several types of people who fall for this.

The law abiding but not very bright.
The elderly.
The generally law abiding but have what they perceive to be a skeleton in their cupboard.

My late grandmother came into the first two. She used to change her energy provider every time that a rep knocked on her front door. She gave out my policewoman sister's new ex-directory phone number to a double glazing company because my sister had just bought a new house and my grandmother thought that she needed new windows.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I had one of those a few weeks ago. Amusingly it was on my (recycled from previous user) work phone. I laughed at the caller who hung up :)

They trade on fear. Good honest people (especially older generations) aren’t aware that these scams exist and as good honest people they are predisposed to bend to authority, even if it is a facade.

I just got a text message telling me that my Royal Mail parcel has an unpaid shipping fee and I need to give them 3 quid or the parcel will be returned.

The cheeky little scamps have set up a reasonably convincing website that has all of the links at the bottom going to the real Royal Mail website. The address is www.pay-delivery-royalmail.com.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out they're making a tidy profit off that.

endure

GCM
I just got a text message telling me that my Royal Mail parcel has an unpaid shipping fee and I need to give them 3 quid or the parcel will be returned.

The cheeky little scamps have set up a reasonably convincing website that has all of the links at the bottom going to the real Royal Mail website. The address is www.pay-delivery-royalmail.com.

If you can see that website you need to up your security a bit. Even my router won't let me go there ;-)

What did you order?

If you can see that website you need to up your security a bit. Even my router won't let me go there ;-)

Bollocks......

Screenshot_20210305-150408_Free Adblocker Browser.jpg

Nothing which is why I was interested. I tend to answer those "You've had a car accident that wasn't your fault" phone calls as well.
really????

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Ours believe they are getting smarter because we only ever get messages now which reckon to be from BT or Microsoft or "the Gas Board" or any one of the big banks, each of which ask you to press certain buttons depending on just how thick you are. The main problem is there is apparently no phone number to ring back.

wheel

LE

Yes and then they use your card number to buy other stuff

Latest Threads