Scam phone calls

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
A new nuisance erupted today. A robot phoned my landline (clearly somewhere in the dim and distant TalkTalk has let its customer phone details out) presenting on caller display as a local number. This number does not actually exist. This was repeated to more times, each time with a different local number. It is the usual rigmarole trying to get me to do something disadvantageous as otherwise my broadband will be cut off.

.. barring no good cos new number each time and it is not a real number anyway

.. can't not pick the phone up a sit could well be a real local

.. virulently abusing the caller no good cos it's a recorded message

any ideas folks?

hang up when you find it's a fake?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Call Guardian. Stops all the shit calls and you can choose the ones you want to answer. Works fir me :)

Don't answer your phone, but make a note of the number. If it's a genuine legitimate call, and it's important, they'll ring back.

Offshore_Harry

Old-Salt
I once asked a cold caller/scam number if the lady was wearing white panties and was she moist?
Repeated it and then a supervisor came on the line, I asked her the same question.
She told me not to be rude, I told her not to ring me at 2330 on a friday night after my beer & curry night.
For some reason I never got called again!

I think I might be blacklisted?:rolleyes:

A new nuisance erupted today. A robot phoned my landline (clearly somewhere in the dim and distant TalkTalk has let its customer phone details out) presenting on caller display as a local number. This number does not actually exist. This was repeated to more times, each time with a different local number. It is the usual rigmarole trying to get me to do something disadvantageous as otherwise my broadband will be cut off.

any ideas folks?
Get yourself a BT8600 phone. It has Truecall technology built in. It's not perfect, but it at least has (as the designer of the Truecall technology calls it) a "Fcuk off and die" facility in-call. You just press the button (I think it's ##, can't remember the details) and the call is over for you. But the caller then gets a "fcuk off and die" message, the calling number is blocked, and uploaded to a central server. All other BT8600s get that number and it is blocked for them too. The user can also unblock a number if you accidentally block a number you didn't mean to. It's excellent technology.

Broadband & Landline Accessories | BT

A lot of phone scammers based in India use Skype or other VOI systems that can disguise the call scource and make it look like a UK phone number if you do a 1471 interrogation.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Re

any ideas folks?
On line report to TPS (see their website) helps to flag up activity even if tel no faked

eBay call blocker worked for me. TPS is good but takes time to kick in and they miss quite a few spammers.

any ideas folks?

BT internet blocker 8500.

Stops the robots, humans have to announce their names, before the phone even rings.

You can compile a list of real humans and they get straight through........

Brilliant piece of kit, but it rankles that B bloody T can't sort out the scum without me having to pay for this gadgetry........

BT internet blocker 8500.

Stops the robots, humans have to announce their names, before the phone even rings.

You can compile a list of real humans and they get straight through........

Brilliant piece of kit, but it rankles that B bloody T can't sort out the scum without me having to pay for this gadgetry........
Nothing to do with BT.
In this case you can blame the government for their open lines / line unbundling policy.
Any johnny foreigner can buy a block of numbers from any one of dozens of online sellers.
Mostly these are 0844 and 0871s but others are easily available.

Typical sellers

uk2numbers.co.uk
08uk.co.uk
windsortelecom.co.uk
numbersupermarket
tripaudiotelecom

etc etc

these online sellers are virtually unregulated and will sell to anyone who can fork out the dosh. Line rentals are as low as £3 per month and most of the sellers also offer "revenue generation" options.

you can also buy a "virtual number" that will auto forward to a phone of your choice, and there is a range of options for blocking caller display or even spoofing caller display.

Then you have TalkTalk who I once used but never again. Their data security is about as safe as a bowl of ice cream in a room full of hungry 4 year olds, so your number and personal details will be sold for 10p to some sub-continental scammer, who will sell it on for 2p to a dozen other scammers....

Nothing to do with BT.
In this case you can blame the government for their open lines / line unbundling policy.
Any johnny foreigner can buy a block of numbers from any one of dozens of online sellers.
Mostly these are 0844 and 0871s but others are easily available.

Typical sellers

uk2numbers.co.uk
08uk.co.uk
windsortelecom.co.uk
numbersupermarket
tripaudiotelecom

etc etc

these online sellers are virtually unregulated and will sell to anyone who can fork out the dosh. Line rentals are as low as £3 per month and most of the sellers also offer "revenue generation" options.

you can also buy a "virtual number" that will auto forward to a phone of your choice, and there is a range of options for blocking caller display or even spoofing caller display.

Then you have TalkTalk who I once used but never again. Their data security is about as safe as a bowl of ice cream in a room full of hungry 4 year olds, so your number and personal details will be sold for 10p to some sub-continental scammer, who will sell it on for 2p to a dozen other scammers....

The thing that really pisses me off, is the same gang of shitehawks, you recognise their thick accents, can ring you from abroad, local numbers that don't exist, London. Midlands, WTF are they doing to stop this ?

Or even better, the fat greasy pieces of shite, who are behind these scams, should be identified, then "eliminated "

If our gutless MP s haven't got the bottle, sub it out to the IDS.

That's the sort of foreign aid I'd support.

If you do pick up, just stay silent. A real caller will say hello, a machine or call centre will delay before it notices, giving you a chance to hang up. Otherwise, if it's a recording / Indian, just leave the phone off the hook. It'll tie up one of their lines for a while, so meanwhile they aren't calling someone else. Or try an old fashioned answering machine that asks them to leave a message, while you listen. Friends soon get used to saying "It's me, pick up the phone you lazy cont."

BT internet blocker 8500.....
They probably can but if they did you wouldn't have to pay for the gadgetry.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I've got a BT something or other that asks the caller to say their name and press a key, thus defeating the robots.

And lazy people.

And so far, the mother in law.

Worth every ******* penny.

Last edited:

Jammy66

War Hero
TPS only works for callers based in the UK - that's why so many call centres are based in India etc., not only are the wages dirt cheap, they don't have to worry about any silly UK rules.

I packed in the land line years ago and really don't miss it. Nearly everyone I know called my mobile anyway so the landline was just for taking calls from cold callers, which I didn't need, so packed it in.

If you do pick up, just stay silent. A real caller will say hello, a machine or call centre will delay before it notices
A nice friendly ‘As Salam’ confuses the bots. But just going through to the call centre and asking ‘I see you’re calling from a 01942 number, what’s the weather like in Wigan at the moment?’ creates minor confusement.

Blocking this stuff is not easy. In a previous job, I worked on a network version of the Truecall technology, so no customer premise equipment would be needed. As part of that, I sat on an industry body that was looking to address the robocall problem.

The hard bit is that the calls nearly always originate overseas, and typically went through 14 different carriers to get to the target number. You can't just say "all calls from carrier X in country Y to be dropped", because that would impact many many more calls that are legitimate.

Spoofing the caller ID is child's play; that's the easy bit. For a good 10-20 years, there has been a spot rate for international call minutes. There are markets, just like the stock markets, or metals exchanges, where the call minutes are traded. Arbinet is a good example of this. So Sayeed the Bangladeshi scammer sets up his sweat shop call center, with cheap Chinese or Indian telecom gear, and connects through some backwater telecom company with a license issued by a corrupt official. Dodgy telecom company has an interconnect with a slightly less dodgy company. Less dodgy company buys the transit minutes from Arbinet. The price changes, Arbinet swaps provider from one minute to the next. Call A goes from Bangladesh through Kazakhstan and Russia, call B goes through the Middle East. Completely different points of entry into the target network, so they can't be traced. Arbinet might end up using France Telecom or Deutsche Telekom to connect to BT (unlikely, but possible), so the calls coming in to the network could come from a highly reputable carrier. Or a respected wholesale carrier.

Eventually it becomes clear that there is a pattern of some sort, and perhaps there is pressure brought to bear to shut Sayeed down. Which indeed he does. Meantime, his brother has got wind of it and sets up a parallel operation with a different dodgy carrier and on and on it goes.

Some good gen on this thread. Thanks.
Re
On line report to TPS (see their website) helps to flag up activity even if tel no faked
TPS only works for callers based in the UK - that's why so many call centres are based in India etc., not only are the wages dirt cheap, they don't have to worry about any silly UK rules. I packed in the land line years ago and really don't miss it. Nearly everyone I know called my mobile anyway so the landline was just for taking calls from cold callers, which I didn't need, so packed it in.
I started doing this a few weeks ago and after a while it seems the number of UK calls has gone down, for now.

I have a landline due to the deal I got and still use it though much less these days.

If you do pick up, just stay silent. A real caller will say hello, a machine or call centre will delay before it notices, giving you a chance to hang up. Otherwise, if it's a recording / Indian, just leave the phone off the hook. It'll tie up one of their lines for a while, so meanwhile they aren't calling someone else. Or try an old fashioned answering machine that asks them to leave a message, while you listen. Friends soon get used to saying "It's me, pick up the phone you lazy cont."
I listen for machine vs human. Maybe cough if unsure as I have had valid calls. I fell in to the trap of thinking a late call must be from an elderly relative and said hello - automatic message re efficient glazing, boilers, solar whatever... Also one morning when about to go to the dentist - I should have put the phone down as soon as he mentioned Windows - those guy's won't take no for an answer. "No, I am not talking about double glazing, I'm calling from Microsoft..." "I don't havve Windows, I use Linux" "I'm not interested in your Linux, I'm talking about your Windows licence" :pissedoff::frustrated:I didn't have time for this nonsense and terminated the call.

Latest Threads