Scam attempt

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by 307, Jan 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 307

307 War Hero

JUST TO WARN ALL ARRSERS OF A SCAM THAT SOME TOE RAG TRIED TO PULL ON ME. A COMPANY WILL CALL AND CLAIM THAT YOUR PHONE NUMBER HAS BEEN SELECTED TO WIN A VIDEO PHONE AND A HOLIDAY. THEY WILL THEN ASK FOR ADDRESS THEN WHAT BANK YOU'RE WITH, HOW LONG ETC. THEN THEY MOVE INTO ASKING FOR INFO. SUCH AS SORT CODE, CLAIMING IT'S TO VERIFY YOUR IDENTITY. DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY SUCH INFORMATION, IT IS NOT KOSHER, I HAVE VERIFIED THIS WITH BARCLAYS AND MADE THEM AWARE OF IT. THEY WILL KEEP HASSLING YOU BY RINGING BACK EVEN WHEN YOU ARE AT FLASH FACTOR 5 WITH THEM, A THREAT TO CALL THE ROZZERS AND REPORT THEM FOR HARRASMENT SEEMED TO GET THEM TO NAFF OFF IN MY CASE. THEY CALLED THEMSELVES TEN TELECOM TO ME BUT MAY USE A DIFF NAME TO ANY OF YOU. ALL THE SPEAKERS HAD THICK INDIAN ACCENTS. BE ALERT. IF PIZZA HUT CAN VERIFY YOUR ADDRESS MATCHES YOUR PHONE NUMBER WHY DOES A BIG TELECOM FIRM NEED YOUR BANK DETAILS, THINK BEFORE YOU ACT.
    P.S. NO THEY DIDN'T GET ME.

2. They managed to get your caps lock key though.

The fiends. :wink:

3. First IA on anyone doing that is to place phone back on reciever. People who get caught out with anything like this deserves to be scammed. If its just the nuisance aspect, get your phone company to block their number. As soon as you respond to them, they will keep on trying. Simple, when they call just hang up and dont say a word.

4. Ask them if they want to talk to tone?

Buuuuurrrrrrrrr

5. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Can't be very popular if you have only had one win.
    Maybe I can use the $30,000,000 I have been offered to help out an orphan in Nigeria.

6. 307

307 War Hero

I put it in caps to draw attention as some people can be drawn in by this sort of thing, just wanted to gen people up on the new threat.

7. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

For details of lots of scams, and some serious scam-baiting, see www.419eater.com

8. A good way to annoy them aswell is to say to them "OK mate 1 minute while I get the details" Then just leave them hanging on the end of the line. I had a double glazing firm hanging on for 45mins once before telling them to get lost & hanging up !!!

Regards LT.

9. I can never understand why people are stupid enough to respond to calls like this. Most of these scams rely on the greed of the punters.

10. "Mum" I said, "If you get a call from someone and you don't recognise the number, NEVER, EVER, ring them back, Okay? If it's genuine, they'll leave a message on the answerphone, otherwise it'll be a scam of some sort"

"Okay" she said "If you say so"

"I do, so NEVER ring them back, okay?"

"Okay dear"

Two days later....

"Had a call today Awol, did 1471, was 01925, company called Blue Chip something, any idea who they are?............................

"How do you know who they were mum?"

"Oh, I rang the number, then got put put on hold for a while..."

"Awol?"

"Awol?"

"Doesn't that hurt your head dear?"

11. My phone has a hold button, which plays a tune similar to greenslieves made up completely of the tone dialling tones.

I just push that.

The other scam is when you are getting spammed on the net, there is a little link that you can click on to "unregister" yourself. Obviously when you push this link, you inform them that your email address is in use and they can sell it to other spam companies.

My mum, took some explaining to aswell.

12. I was getting plagued by a double glazing firm who once did some work on my house. They kept ringing 2-3 times a week . Eventually I booked an appointment to see their salesman. Unfortunately due to my shift work the only time I had free was at 2100 hrs on a saturday evening. Took great delight in telling the salesman I had changed my mind when he turned up. Advised him to speak to his boss about this waste of time as I had done it because they had wasted so much of my time.
    They have stopped ringing me now.

13. I think they tried it with me three nights ago but called themselves Mango Telecom, I just ripped the urine outa them.
    Plankys Grandson where are you?
    Mango Telecom we are based in london sir ( very heavy indian accent)
    PG Are you sure sounds like an international call to me
    MT Oh no sir we are assuredly in London
    PG What was the name of the company again?
    MT Mango Telecoms
    PG I don't like mangos they give me the squits
    MT We are a telecoms company sir and would like to...........
    PG (interrupting)Phonecalls from mangos? Your joking right? What country did you say you were in?
    and so on until I had enough and said Nah and hung up

Yeah I know I'm sad but hey I was bored that night

14. Briiiing..briiiing
    Hello, i'm calling from bloggs ( Indian voice)
    'who'?
    'bloggs modom'
    'bloggs?'
    'yes, we're in your area replacing fascia's do you need your fascia's replacing?'
    'My fascists?'
    'no modom, fascias'
    'whats them then?'
    'they're on your house'
    'i have fascists on my house??'
    'no modom, the fascia's on your house'
    'what do you mean, fascists own my house? I own my house!'
    'no, no modom, let me explain'
    'sorry i have to go to the building society about some fascists owning my house, goodbye'

This was a conversation i had recently with a cold caller....deaf and dumb works wonders..lol

15. Never buy anything from someone who cold calls you!

I got a free upgrade to my mobile phone service from a company called Blue Bamboo, and was assured thart this new airtime contract would save me at least 20% on my monthly bills. My bills doubled for the same amount of calls! I've gone back to the old service/user plan, but at least I've got a new handset similar to the value of what I would have paid for the upgrade from Orange.

If you want to see the best of revenge on these scam artists, watch Crank Yankers on Comedy Central or on ITV4 at usually some ungodly hour!