Scallop Recipies ?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Killaloe, Jun 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [​IMG]

It's Fathers day & I get to choose dinner later. Have been thinking that I have never had Scallops by themselves as a main dish. Have had a look on Google for inspiration. Has anybody got any recipies or recommendations. We have a few bags of the big FO Canadian Queenies in the deep freezer.

Ideally an Asian dish or something quite hot and firey. Also is it best to cook from frozen or defrost ? I have seen both methods in recipies...

Cheers

2. Very quick saute with salted butter.

3. defrost first!

4. use them in a thai green curry - perfect. (defrost em first, make the curry sauce, saute them quickly and add them to the curry)

5. They go well with some nice bits of crispy bacon. Melt the fat off and then give the scallops a couple of minutes each side in the fat.

6. You can try this Scallop Recipe and find other's here .

LINK

BAKED SEA SCALLOPS WITH FETA CHEESE

3 tbsp. olive oil
    1 1/2 lb. fresh sea scallops
    Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
    1 red bell pepper
    2 green bell peppers
    3/4 c. sliced onions
    2 tsp. finely chopped garlic
    1 1/2 c. ripe plum tomatoes, cut into 1 1/2" cubes
    16 black Greek olives, pitted
    1 tsp. dried oregano
    1/2 tsp. fennel or anise seed
    1/2 c. dry white wine
    1/8 tsp. dried red hot pepper flakes
    6 oz. crumbled feta cheese

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Grease 4 individual ovenproof serving dishes with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Divide the scallops evenly among the dishes and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Core and seed the red and green peppers and cut them into thin strips.
    Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy skillet. Add the onions, garlic and peppers. Cook and stir over medium heat to high heat until wilted. Add the tomatoes, olives, oregano, fennel, wine, pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.

Spoon the mixture evenly over the scallops. Dot with the cheese and place in the oven. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until lightly browned. Serve immediately.

Variation: Can substitute onions with scallions or use yellow pepper in place of 1 of the green ones.

7. With a light dusting of chilli flakes, OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

They also go realy well with black pudding

8. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Quite Jarr, baking Scallops is for plebeians, and inbreeds with absolutely no sense of the culinary art!

9. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Back to the topic at hand, you could do far worse than look at the recipes on here:

http://www.thewildgarlicblog.co.uk/

It's Mat Follas' blog , the Master Chef 2009 winner, and he of the Scallop and Wild Garlic fame!

10. It sounds a little strange but I enjoyed this recipe for scallops with chorizo (which, by coincidence, I cooked about an hour ago - delicious!)

Alternatively, if you've some peas - fresh are better but frozen are ok - then a pea risotto topped with 4 or 5 FOB scallops, out of the shell and simply sauteed in butter and seasoned in the pan, is hard to beat.

Have a good meal!

Don

11. diplomat

diplomat War Hero Book Reviewer

Had this one in Digby, Canada - home of scallops where they are cheap fast food!

Take off the roe. Roll the scallop like a wheel in cracked black peppercorns until well coated, and then fry in olive oil.

Sounds like they would be really strong, but they are not, trust me.

12. Scollops and chorizo with mushrooms make smashing kebabs

13. Waitrose do packs of roeless small scallops which I fry with a bit a of oil,butter and a dab of chilli paste.

Then just mix in with some lettuce,spring onion and crispy bacon (cooked separately)

Open a bottle of crisp cold Muscadet and go and scoff the lot in the garden.

14. Waitrose, my god , get down to your local beach with a large SAXO salt and catch some Razor fish, free food, I love it