Scales?

Why are vehicle kits 1/76 but aircraft kits are 1/72?

Why are model kit scales what they are.

1/6, 1/12, 1/24, 1/32 figures but 1/35 with vehicles,1/48,1/72, 1/96*, 1/100, 1/144

*Did I imagine that?

1/96 is used on model railways, I think. There used to be a range of military vehicles in the 60s or 70s.

Preiser 1/87 Preiser military vehicles | eBay

I'm not helping much after all.

glad you brought this up Mothman, good question. Airfix boobed when they differenciated between 1/72, their aircraft range and 1/76, their vehicle range, they should have stuck to 1/72 In my Opinion, their RAF Vehicles are all 1/72, but state 1/76 on the box, why, so they can fit in with the wargames croud? marketing ploy that didn't work, all the matchbox 1/76 kits are true to that scale.

then you have the 1/32 scale verses 1/35th. I /32 equaits to the 54 millimeter traditional toy soldier scale brought in by Britains in a much earlier era of lead toy soldiers, then Tamiya standardised 1/35 for armour modellers in the early seventies. So the mix of 1/32 and 1/35 scale AFV and truck kits brought in by Airfix really complicated the market.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Why are vehicle kits 1/76 but aircraft kits are 1/72?

Why are model kit scales what they are.

1/6, 1/12, 1/24, 1/32 figures but 1/35 with vehicles,1/48,1/72, 1/96*, 1/100, 1/144

*Did I imagine that?
A lot of the model scales come from the original model railway scales and architectural building scales. Chuck "Modelling Scales" into your search engine and Wikipedia will show you a table with explanations of all known scales.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scale_model_sizes

A lot of the model scales come from the original model railway scales and architectural building scales. Chuck "Modelling Scales" into your search engine and Wikipedia will show you a table with explanations of all known scales.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scale_model_sizes
true, but Mothman has brought up a great talking point here.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
layout.png

Just to add:

I downloaded an app called 'Scale Calc'

I've found it particularly useful for working both off some projects (to give me dimensions) and on to other projects (e.g. a 1/9 Vokes filter from a real example).

then you have the 1/32 scale verses 1/35th. I /32 equaits to the 54 millimeter traditional toy soldier scale brought in by Britains in a much earlier era of lead toy soldiers, then Tamiya standardised 1/35 for armour modellers in the early seventies. So the mix of 1/32 and 1/35 scale AFV and truck kits brought in by Airfix really complicated the market.
The Airfix 1/35 AFV's models, where in the main, buy in's - ex-Peerless /Max molds being the first ones.

Back to scales, there was also "box scale". e.g, the model was scaled to fit the makers standard box