Scaffolding advice needed

Discussion in 'DIY' started by EX_STAB, Jan 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I may have a requirement to build a water tower to hold an IBC tank. (1000 Litres - 1 tonne)
    Tanks is roughly 1m cubed. It would need to be erected about 6-7m above ground level. How much scaffolding would be required to do this (i.e all the braces and stays etc) and how much would it likely cost second hand?

Here's a pic of the type of tank.

2. As far as I can remember from my H&S courses, scaffolding has to be at least inspected by a "competent person" before any use, it might be better to speak to a scaffolding company IMO
  3. Check on the legalities of any self build scaffolding projects, more so if you have employees using it. Scaffolding is the work of the devil in the eyes of the Health and safety executive.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

You can get a decorators tower pretty cheap on eBay.

I have a 30ft one which I got from a work mate for a bottle of Jack Daniels. It's steel so it weighs a ******* ton. I'd opt for an aluminium one if buying new.

If you are anywhere near Cumbria you can borrow it providing you chuck a few quid in the H4H kitty. You'll need a trailer or a van.

Gen dit, a bloke fell off it and died in the 80s but that was due to his own stupidity. The tower is perfectly safe if you use it properly.

Edited to add: there is one on eBay now that looks the same as mine but not quite as tall, item number 170749606440.
  5. Mmmm that IBC is going to weigh a tonne when its full, I know there are some fat **** decorators out there but make sure its up to the job of holding that weight.
  6. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

You are of course correct, I've only just realised he is planning to use the scaffolding as a permanent part of the tower. I assumed he only needed the scaffolding to put the tank up.
  7. You would be better with a wood/metal tower. Scaffolding is not designed to take that sort of weight on a permanent basis.
  8. There is a reason water tanks are normally resting on brick legs/towers.
  9. What about planning permission for his huge erection.
  10. It's a temporary structure. I could design one out of steel columns but thought scaffolding would be cheap, quick and easy.
  11. H3

H3 LE

Think you may be wrong there .... 1ton is bugger all for scaffolding , I've seen structures built offshore that weigh more than that in just the scaffold bars without it supporting a load ...... Have a look at the link .

permanent scaffolding - Google Search
    • Like Like x 1

12. I Tonne might be bugger all for collosal structures, but I wouldn't imagine the OP has anything that size in mind.
    Scaffolding that is used in the general building industry is only meant as a work/loading platform. Heavy weights would not be intended to be left in situ.
  13. Why a gravity fed water system, why not just install an in-line pump?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. H3

H3 LE

Ex stab ..... Why not use a pump crossed over to the IBC outlet , it'll also be at a safer hight to fill via the top opening on the IBC , I take it your attempting to use the height of fluid to supply something !

i.e Hydrostatic head of fluid.