Scafell Pike walk with dog

I want to do it, the dog wants to do it. However when I've looked for advice on the best dog friendly routes I only seem to find people who think dogs are the anti Christ.

So, he's a good dog, he's more likely to run away from than attack sheep, just concerned about the underfoot. Anyone got any tips?

Keep the hound on a lead until you are clear of the lower slopes and stroppy ramblers. Once you gain a bit of height you should be ok to let it have a run provided it is well drilled. If there is any chance it'll worry sheep then there is a chance you'll be dogless on the way down.

It is a dull summit though so don't get your hopes up.

Go some where else. Scafell was great for dogs 20 years ago. Used to stay at Wasdale and do the walk. now It's like Oxford st.
Exmoor ,malverns, dartmoor and the mendips are a better bet these days.

C

cloudbuster

Do it solo, and take lots of pictures to show your best friend. If he likes what you show him, you can take him next time.

Tbh I took my springer up there and it's not the best walk for dogs - too many people really ..

If your going to do it, go up from seathwaite (sp) as its a nicer walk all together. Wasdale route isn't as fun IMO

C

cloudbuster

Just thinking of the hound. You know how disappointed they can get when you drag them up to the top of a hill and there's cock-all for them to see.

T

Tinman74

Try helvelyn, plenty of ways up. I suggest going up sticks pass as its rarely used then down swiral edge then down through the whole in the wall. This way you avoid all mongs and can have the hund of the Leah more often than not!!

Cheers for the advice folks...

I've been walking for years and never done Scafell hence the urge to box off a trip up there (touch trig point, tick).

I must say, not since getting my mutt have I realised how much walkers/farmers hate them. Seems a shame as my dim-wit is the stereotypical friendly dog. He rolls over to get his belly scratched quicker than the lib dems did at the last election.

There's plenty of other walks you could attempt in the lakes that are much more dog friendly .. Sour milk gill is a good walk, helvelyn as mentioned as there's a good selection of routes up, blencathra isn't too bad and my mutt enjoyed it ..

I want to do it, the dog wants to do it. However when I've looked for advice on the best dog friendly routes I only seem to find people who think dogs are the anti Christ.

So, he's a good dog, he's more likely to run away from than attack sheep, just concerned about the underfoot. Anyone got any tips?
Dr Dolittle Walt!!

Actually there is some truth in that. He's started picking up hi lead instead of his frisbee indicating he may want to go on a walk rather than a play on the field.

He does try and eat his own shit every now and then so I'm not gonna read too much into his opinion.

ehwhat

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
You can do most, but not all, of the Wainwrights with your dog. Given the press of other ramblers at times and the popularity of the main routes, I always keep mine on lead. Even though they are trained to the whistle. First time I took my Tipper with me, smartest herding dog I've ever had, we went off lead and used my whistle. I thought the poor soul in front of me was going to have a heart attack. You forget just how loud a whistle can be to someone who has never heard one before. I've used leads ever since.

whistle.jpg

Most people do very well with a well behaved dog in tow. You'll meet quite a number of people who simply have to stop and say hello to the dog. Some even become lasting friends.

My main problem would be that it's a bit a of a bloody dull walk frankly!

Cheers for the advice folks...

I've been walking for years and never done Scafell hence the urge to box off a trip up there (touch trig point, tick).

I must say, not since getting my mutt have I realised how much walkers/farmers hate them. Seems a shame as my dim-wit is the stereotypical friendly dog. He rolls over to get his belly scratched quicker than the lib dems did at the last election.
No matter how good your dog is, the farmer will have seen 'umpteen other cuntish dog owners who've let their dogs off to have a pop at sheep. So as usual the majority has had it spolied by the few.

ehwhat

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
My main problem would be that it's a bit a of a bloody dull walk frankly!
Well, then leave the pup at home, ignore all trails and swarm up the degraded rock faces. Not exactly alpine, middling tech at best, but less expensive and short travel. Mind, there will be some who will question your conservation ethic, but they won't be able to keep up.

Or, you could have a go at out doing the geriatric Fell Runner Joss Naylor's record?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
We did Scafell last summer with our blue merle Border leading the way for most of it.
As above posts , lower slopes kept him on the lead.

It's an okay walk...all I would say is the top part of Scafell is what the geologists call a felsenmeer - it's ALL rock, no grass or soil....bit hard on a dog's paws is all.

Definite tick in the box though...ping .dolly for more chat, she's done Hadrian's Wall with a dog in tow.

Latest Threads