SC expiry?

Except - in support of Bubbles' point - 'recent' in SC terms can mean 'nearly ten years ago' which (by any sane interpretation) is next to useless if not downright misleading.

Having recently been through this process, I was struck how utterly feeble the whole construct is.

I re-entered a metric fücktonne of information that they already had access to. I answered a lot of questions about inlaws, outlaws and sundry other people in my life, like where they were born, when they got married etc ad nauseam. I answered a few questions about finances. But I answered precisely no questions about my aptitude for handling sensitive information (which, ironically, is possibly one of the only relevant human factors in this zone that can both be assessed empirically and has any kind of objective consistency).

And the assessment of those pieces of information, which can change in a matter of days, is supposed to lead to a judgement that basically says 'this SP can be trusted with material marked up to Top Secret for the next decade'.

As Bubbles says, its a total waste of money, and I challenge anyone to show how the current SC process produces the 'assurance' that the letters 'SC' imply and on which the 'system' relies with such blind confidence.

Out of interest, does anyone know what it takes to fail an SC vetting? Genuine question - I've never come across one before.
Voting Liberal Democrat?

My Bold. I'm not sure to be honest. I'm assuming that obviuos and public indicators that you are untrustworthy, deceptive and pose a risk of being an Inside Threat should you be appointed. As, for example, the DV process examines a candidates susceptibility to blackmail among other things.

SNIP

Out of interest, does anyone know what it takes to fail an SC vetting? Genuine question - I've never come across one before.
@stickybomb
A colleague at work has just gone through the clearance maze (I think they were going for SC), only to find that living in France for a while (6 months I think) in the past 2 years is a bar to them getting clearance.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Top tip i got was to simply not lie, no matter what. Its not what you do, its if you are open to blackmail about it thats the issue. If you have a sexual fetish for Chinese dwarves dressed as a chicken, fess up.

Top tip i got was to simply not lie, no matter what. Its not what you do, its if you are open to blackmail about it thats the issue. If you have a sexual fetish for Chinese dwarves dressed as a chicken, fess up.
It's one thing to fess up to a Vetting Officer about sexual fetishes for Chinese dwarves dressed as chickens, but the real acid test is "does your wife know about your sexual fetishes for Chinese dwarves dressed as chickens?" and that is probably where the wheels come off.

I've never known anyone fail vetting on entry, but I have known a few who have had it withdrawn or downgraded. One a crypto tech, he married a German whose immediate family were all Ostis (although she wasn't). Downgraded to SC. Another, full screw tech, 17 pints at the Rhine Army Summer Show and drive home. Er, no :)

So what happens from the other side if you girlfriends organisation made you pass SC to move in with her, does that count at all if your own SC has lapsed?

True that, I've got more skeletons than the Kymer Rouge, it's the blackmail angle and whether you're deemed a threat re terrorism, extremist activity etc that matters at least at the lower levels

Personal debt or poor financial management is a major red flag for vetting.
Throw in a gambling habit and it makes you quite the target for FiS, depending on what you do that requires the SC/DV.

I’m not married
But your wife knows all about my fetish for Chinese dwarves dressed as chickens
That's OK. I no longer have clearance :)

If you're needed to do a job, you'll get cleared, barring all monumental security **** ups.
Except contract work, where you'll be at the back of the queue behind every applicant that still has clearance

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Being in the Reserves pays off.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Brevet Army Reserve 2
V Army Pay, Claims & JPA 2