Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SC clearance after CDT

Hey guys,

Back in the late 90s I was in the signals and got caught by CDT. Was a muppet back then and liked going back home at weekends and partying. Left the army, sorted myself out and never touched another drug. Roll on 20 years and I'm being asked to fill out an SC form by my employer. I've not told my employer yet of how much of a muppet I was at 22 years old and am wondering if SC is out of the question. I'm pretty embarrassed about the reason I left the army and would rather not have people know. Is it likely I'll be turned down?

Teeblerone

Old-Salt
If you lie and get found out = sack.
If you lie and don't get found out = blackmail risk.
Any decent SC check will find out; I'd cough to it & write in mitigation that you've been clean ever since. Good luck!

Sorry I should have said I wouldn't lie on the SC form. They won't actually see that, it's just I'd prefer my employer not to find out.
The only reason they will find out is if you tell them. They won't see the (online) SC form, they will simply see a cleared or not cleared.

Don't lie if asked directly by your employer, but you don't need to volunteer the info. On the SC form then answer the questions openly and honestly.

It's amazing what people who hold SC and higher have done, but if you are open about it then there should be no issues.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Hey guys,

Back in the late 90s I was in the signals and got caught by CDT. Was a muppet back then and liked going back home at weekends and partying. Left the army, sorted myself out and never touched another drug. Roll on 20 years and I'm being asked to fill out an SC form by my employer. I've not told my employer yet of how much of a muppet I was at 22 years old and am wondering if SC is out of the question. I'm pretty embarrassed about the reason I left the army and would rather not have people know. Is it likely I'll be turned down?

Best guess? Expect some probing questions about what you did then and have done since, but it won't be an automatic denial. My advice would be to be absolutely honest about it on the forms and in any interviews that might come up (SC is usually done off the paperwork only but this might trigger a conversation?) You got it wrong back then, learned from it, and haven't repeated the error.

The key point is whether you're vulnerable to the quartet of MICE (Money, Influence, Corruption, Ego). A persistent drug habit makes you vulnerable to needing money; if you conceal your past issues, even if you've been well-behaved since, it's a blackmail opportunity. So, there will be concern to be sure that it really was a long time ago and you've learned the lesson, and trying to evade it will be a lot worse than just owning it.

However, people make mistakes and recover from them. Vetting isn't about screening out anyone who's ever misbehaved, it's about knowing and managing risk. (For an academic example, I barely scraped through my first degree with one year retaken and a really dismal result - I've added two Masters since).

The vetting should also be anonymous with your employer having no sight of it except for a "yea" or "nay" on whether you get SC, so worry less on that front. If you didn't have to disclose it during application, you don't need to mention it to them while going through clearance.

Just think yourself lucky that you don't have to write a letter like this one.

Dear Defence Vetting Agency,

Regarding your queries about my lifestyle and personal history, I can offer the following clarifications.

• It has been several hours since I last enjoyed methamphetamines, proving that I have no dependency or addiction issues. The incidental loss of my teeth has actually proved most convenient, during the ice-powered depravities that this wonderful substance facilitates.
  • I have no recollection of any conversations involving protectively-marked material with either Miss Yuliya or Miss Xiaobo, separately or together, though I admit my memories of our evenings together are a little hazy on occasion.
  • My bankruptcies have all been resolved apart from the outstanding questions regarding the Carillon pension fund which is still sub judice but really quite trivial in the overall scale of things - what's a few tens of million pounds here or there between good chaps?
  • My mother did not go "on the game" to finance her heroin habit, I addicted her to heroin in order to pimp her out, and most profitably too I might add!
  • The matter of the multiple entries on the Sex Offenders Register and the five-mile exclusion zone from any school, hospital, place of worship or zoo has been blown out of all proportion - everyone makes occasional mistakes in their youthful exuberance, after all.
  • While the video footage you allude to exists, it was never circulated freely, but was only made available to selected Far Eastern clients after careful appraisal, and I am sure their interest was purely that of men of science and refinement.
  • The young "ladies" from Phuket are in fact young gentlemen by birth who self-identify as "gender fluid". They assure me that they are indeed of legal age, that the rash and suppurating discharge is entirely normal, and that the llama was entirely happy with its part in the proceedings.
  • There is a perfectly reasonable explanation for why my teethmarks were on the corpses.
However, I must sincerely protest at the disgraceful, scurrilous, indeed actionable suggestion that I at any point was, or indeed have ever contemplated being, a member of the Royal Navy Reserve. This allegation is entirely untrue and clearly highly defamatory. I am therefore instructing my solicitors to require from you immediately your proposals for dealing with the matter.

My first concern is that there should be a full retraction at the earliest possible date, deletion of all matters relating to the allegation, and I will also want my costs paid. My attitude to damages will be governed by the nature of your reply.

@Scalybackplstic,
No need to fret about being a Druggie.:shaking2:
Your Sponsor (employer) does not see what you put on the form. All they will know is whether you get the Clearance or not.

1601306338345.png

Dr Death

War Hero
Man up.
Tell your employer what happened XX years ago.
Start of with:
I was young, stupid & immature and did something that I have regretted ever since but I failed a CDT with XX regiment and was dismissed. I have learnt from this mistake, never taken drugs since and felt you should know.

If your employer thinks you are worth it they will stick by you, if a tool then another career is open.
Lie and you are re living XX years all over again.

Just my view by the way, we have all tried some sort of drug as youngsters as even nicotine is a drug.
Some just go through a faze and then realise drugs screw you up and man up, unless you are a pop star then its hip n trendy.

Man up.
Start of with:
I was young, stupid & immature and did something that I have regretted ever since but I failed a CDT with XX regiment and was dismissed. I have learnt from this mistake, never taken drugs since and felt you should know.

If your employer thinks you are worth it they will stick by you, if a tool then another career is open.

Just my view by the way, we have all tried some sort of drug as youngsters as even nicotine is a drug.
Some just go through a faze and then realise drugs screw you up and man up, unless you are a pop star then its hip n trendy.
giant cock.JPG

ex_sigs

Old-Salt
Integrity and truth. You cannot be susceptible to any form of blackmail, so if you lie and they find out then its an automatic fail.

You could lie and tell them you were a Para though and not Signals, they would forgive that :)

Best of luck.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Man up.
Start of with:

He's got no need to go through any of that palava with his employer but he does need to be totally honest with the clearance application. His employer will only hear if his man has passed or failed.

Dr Death

War Hero
He's got no need to go through any of that palava with his employer but he does need to be totally honest with the clearance application. His employer will only hear if his man has passed or failed.
Oh well keep it a secret & if he fails the employer might want to know why a staring light has done so?
Then it will get difficult to explain, but hey hoy not my worry.

Oh well keep it a secret & if he fails the employer might want to know why a staring light has done so?
If he fails it he won't be in the job. Because if he is required to have a clearance and doesn't get it he won't be eligible for the post. It is a requirement not a nice to have

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
His employer is the sponsor and has decided to get him vetted for work that may carry an official classification.

A department of HM Government will deal with the vetting and, as it is only a SC, will tell the employer whether or not the application has been successful.

There is no need for you to tell the OP to start preparing a letter (or discussion) to tell his employer that he did something wrong 20 years ago. He is already employed and is clearly well regarded by his employer.

Should the OP progress to a position where his employer wants to sponsor him for an advanced form of vetting such as DV clearance then he will be the subject of at least one interview by a professional who will have done some deep investigations beforehand and will do more after the interviews. The same will apply from the OP's stance as during his SC - he must be totally honest down to the smallest detail. The Vetter's will, in any event, probably know already if something is amiss.

I believe that you are confusing the role of the employer and the clearance process. All the employer wants to know is whether the employee can be cleared to a certain level and that is why he is sponsoring this man.

The same applies if the employer wants his man to be cleared to work with data or materials that carry a codeword in addition to the classification, or are protected in another way such as 'Eyes Only'

The company employing the OP are almost certain to be List X which is why they need to use the Security Services to do the vetting.

No need for any tearful confessions to the boss, the security people will do their job...

My Detective Sergeant had a court conviction for the production of a controlled drug, growing cannabis in his student flat. Even though he had to submit a sealed envelope for every single court case he was involved in revealing this, he got through DV later in life.

Report it on your forms, but not to your employer.

My Detective Sergeant had a court conviction for the production of a controlled drug, growing cannabis in his student flat. Even though he had to submit a sealed envelope for every single court case he was involved in revealing this, he got through DV later in life.

Report it on your forms, but not to your employer.
This^
Your employer isn't entitled to any specifics of your convictions whereas the vetting service is.
Ignore the giant c0ck @Dr Death .

Dr Death

War Hero
If he fails it he won't be in the job. Because if he is required to have a clearance and doesn't get it he won't be eligible for the post. It is a requirement not a nice to have
live a lie then, maybe my views of right & wrong differ from others.