• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

SBS Reserve

The UKSF Reserve Website has been updated. It now includes details of he SBS(R) Pre-Selection Course. This takes place over 4 days.
Presuemably, succesful candidates will then go onto Joint SF Selection.
The website says only those with previous military experiance need apply, but they do not sitipulate you must be Commando trained.
I wish anyone who applies the best of luck; you will need it.
The site also show the new SBS "Excaliber" badge.

Dear Sapukay,

When you turn up for selection TRY not to tell the DS that they got the details wrong - it might be a bit painfull.

Just a thought

Peace and Love

countdokku said:
In what way are the details of Advanced Combat Fitness Test 1 incorrect?
3.2km (2 miles) in 23.5 minutes (first 800m in 8.5 mins, remainder in 15 mins) carrying 25kg (now 20kg?) followed by representive military tasks is the current infantry ACFT 1, no?

ACFT 2 being conducted over two days, the first phase being a 20km march with 30kg to be completed in 3 hrs 30 and the second phase being a 20km march (i.e. the route back) with 20kg to be completed in 3 hrs, followed by representative military tasks at each end?

Sorry if incorrect, it's a hazy memory.

I wonder how long it takes to get one of these guys fully trained?
The Pre-Selection Course is 4 days. I believe regular SBS also have to do a Joint Special Forces Selection. If it's the same for Reserve Swimmer-Canoeists, they will have to do Selection along with 21/23 SAS, up to and including Long Drag or whatever they are calling it now.
Then there is Continuation. Again, looking at the Regulars, it takes a year to fully train an SBS Marine. So it might be as long as 18 months for a reservist.
A regular SAS trooper can pass Selection and Continuation in six months. In the TA, it takes about nine months.
As I said in my first post: good luck to anyone who attempts it. I respect anyone who attempts Selection. Even if they fail, at least they had the bottle to try.

Hmm..

I understand that formerly SBS peeps used the 'normal' Marine green beret (the only difference being that SBS qualified marines would have an 'SC' on their dress kit.) If now non marines are now eligible for the SBS what colour hat would a successful applicant get? It obviously can't be green as they wouldn't have passed the commando course. Sandy? If so would current SBS staff have to change hats!? I doubt they'd like that.

Any ideas?

The-Viper,

Non-marines have been eligible for the SBS for at least 8 years to my knowledge as I had an instructor (who was a royal navy commando and had his wings) in basic who failed SBS selection (1997). Generally speaking, and to the best of my knowledge, you wouldn't be allowed to go for selection unless you've done the AACC as this is the 'baseline' fitness and skills level. So the whole issue of not wearing the green lid wouldn't come into it.

I see what you mean Viper. What if you were made to wear the green one and you had nothing that goes with green ? I look terrible in green, it makes my hips look big, could I wear something dark ? Wouldn't a good compromise for the hat to be sandy with green stripes ? Or would that be too much like burberry ? Honestly, it's a nightmare, no wonder they've got such a high failure rate, who wants to look stupid ?!

maninblack

LE
Book Reviewer
The_Viper said:
Hmm..

I understand that formerly SBS peeps used the 'normal' Marine green beret (the only difference being that SBS qualified marines would have an 'SC' on their dress kit.) If now non marines are now eligible for the SBS what colour hat would a successful applicant get? It obviously can't be green as they wouldn't have passed the commando course. Sandy? If so would current SBS staff have to change hats!? I doubt they'd like that.

Any ideas?
The only SC embroidery I have seen on formal uniforms is the gold wire SC on a square for RM blues but that signifies that the wearer is an instructor in a Marine Cadets detachment of the Sea Cadets not a steely eyed killer....that would be half of the cadets.

Hey, Hey chaps!

It would obviously be an honour to wear either Marine Green or Sandy - and much respect is due to anyone who wears either (unless your initials are RD and you are in E sqn - obviously), but my point is and according to the SBS reserve website you don't have to be Commando qualified - otherwise they would have said so. It would be a bit harsh for an army bod that passes selection then to be told they have to do the AACC as well.

My eyes would look better in a sandy hat, but most of my clothing is greenish, so I don't mind either way. The bit I got about the SC on the dress kit was from 'SBS' by John Parker, so I assume he's right.

Peace and Love

I read something on this, no you don't need to be cdo trained to do the course now and yes you will get a green lid.

Don't forget that the sig of an army cdo is his dagger not the beret as they would lose it a soon as they post to another non commando unit, I remember a furour once at 17 (Depot) Regt RA when it was suggested that the commando and airborne personel shouldn't wear thier old unit berets as they were technically posted to 17, this of course went down like a lead balloon but the CO decided that unit attire (be it beret colour, RHA cap badges or even tartan slides) gave the feeling of family diversity

The_Viper said:
The bit I got about the SC on the dress kit was from 'SBS' by John Parker, so I assume he's right.
Gold SC with laurel underneth is the RM Swimmer Canoeist Trade badge which can be worn on Lovet and Mess Dress. Yes this used to be the only way you could visually tell a member of the SBS (or even ex as this is a trade badge and can continue to wear it after leaving the service)

I have no idea if an Army member of the SBS would get the same badge

maninblack

LE
Book Reviewer
wellyhead said:
The_Viper said:
The bit I got about the SC on the dress kit was from 'SBS' by John Parker, so I assume he's right.
Gold SC with laurel underneth is the RM Swimmer Canoeist Trade badge which can be worn on Lovet and Mess Dress. Yes this used to be the only way you could visually tell a member of the SBS (or even ex as this is a trade badge and can continue to wear it after leaving the service)

I have no idea if an Army member of the SBS would get the same badge
Ah, I missed any mention of the laurel as well. Just SC on a square background on blues and less dress is Sea Cadets.

Okey Dokey,

So it's a green lid, but - and stop me if I'm begining to sound ever so slightly obsessive and freaky - would it have the new SBS cap badge? They must have made it for a reason after all. If so would existing SBS marines have to change from their globe a laurel thingy?

Yours Sincerely

Confused from Cardiff.

For all of you who are considering special forces selection or the SBS reserve, here is some info that you may benefit from. I attempted selection for 23SAS Reserve and failed. Yes thats correct I failed so why should you listen to what I have to say? Well based on my experiences you may do better!!!!. I failed because I was attempting to enter direct as a civvie without any military experience and I had no idea of what I was letting myself in for. MANY PEOPLE attempt selection and fail then make all sorts of excuses. I have none I simply had no idea of what I was attempting to achieve so I wasnt properly prepared.

People fail selection for the special forces for a variety of reasons and they are:

They simply are not fit enough.
If they are fit enough sometimes they just give up. They lack mental toughness.
Sometimes they fail because of the mental aspects of selection and training. They simply are not the right type of person.
some people get injured and some even die!!!!

On the selection course prior to mine an ex regular marine washed out on continuation because being an ex regular he thought he knew it all and proved to be un teachable. He couldnt learn the SAS way of doing things. Imagine going through all the physical and then failing because you havent got the brains to listen learn and apply.

So you want to know the physical stuff so you can start getting fit.
RULE NUMBER ONE THE SELECTION STAFF ARE A LYING BUNCH OF BASTARDS!!!! and if they tell you that you need to be able to run five miles in fourty minutes what they really mean is you need to be able to sprint the first half mile then run ten miles at a faster pace than you have been told. And just for laughs they will throw in a few hills as well.

So The SAS reserve will say that you need to be able to run five miles in fourty minutes to stand a chance as a basic entry level of fitness. Dont waste your time unless you can run ten miles in an hour or at leats ten miles at seven minute mile pace. You will also need to be able to swim a mile at least. ( some guys on my course failed because they couldnt even swim) SAS selection has two big tests they are the fan dance and long drag. Get out a map of the brecon beacons and find Pen-y-fan. Then go and look at it one weekend. You will need to be able to run from the bottom at the storey arms outdoor persuit centre up to the top over down the other side to the reservoir and back along the road with a fifty pound pack and webbing in four hours. Go and try it then youll know what training you need. Long drag is sixty klicks across the brecon beacons hitting most of the highest points in less than 20 hours with a fifty pound pack webbing and weapon on your own. So go out on the hills and get used to the terrain and work on your navigation skills.
The SAS want you to be able to cover a minimum of three miles straight line from point a to point b in an hour and if mount everest is in the way TOUGH you have to get over it round it or whatever in that time. That is the sort of pace they expect.

So here are my suggestions for special forces training to get fit for selection.
Aim to be able to run ten miles in an hour With a pck if possible.
for SBS be able to swim between three to five miles at a reasonable pace. Go join your local swim club and tell them you want to train for an iron man event. dont mention sbs or anything like that.
Get some books on iron man training and do what they say. ADD in hill running. sprints and a five mile run along a soft sand beach. add in weight training and curcuit training. aim to be able to do three sets of 500 push ups with 30 pounds of webbing on you. Get into an old style gym and practice rope climbing. The main basis of your fitness should be running, hill running, long swimms and long bike rides, supplimented by weights flexibilty training and curcuits.
You may also want to go and have a really good medical first to make certain that your heart knees back etc will be able to take it.

I would suggest about a years worth of serious training is what most people need to be able to cope with the physical aspects of selection. 6 months if you are a regular army soldier. three months if you are a para or marine.

a few final thoughts. If you are over 35 its probably not worth trying because by the time you get fit go part way through selection and wash out then go back to try again youll be too old. If you are a short arse like me you probably wont make it either the bulk of what you have to carry will be a problem. You will need to be able to cope with injuries and keep going. The SAS Nutter that persauded me to try selection was at the time recovering from an injury. He had broken his ankle on landing after a night time parachute drop and then spent three days running around the mountains carrying a fifty pound pack. law 94 two spare radio batteries. Thirty pounds of webbing. He was necking Brufen tablets like they were smarties. When he was stopped at a checkpoint because he was slowing down and asked if he was ok he told them he had twisted his ankle. On being examined by the medic they found a badly broken ankle and were astonished that he could even stand.

And finally if you are going for the sbs reserve or marines remember to wear a t shirt that says the following:

MARINE. is an acronym that stands for

Muscles a requirement Intelligence not expected.

This will show them that you have a sense of humour and ensure that you are warmly welcomed/

best of luck guys

Having had the joy of carrying out this course, I can whole heartedly endorse the comments above (I wrapped, but not on the phys side). Go find Lulworth Cove in Dorset, head west for 10k along the coast, then head back, and when you think you've only got about a k to go, find the biggest f*ck-off hill you can and finish by going up that, and then ACFT 2 will be over.....

Good luck, don't wrap, I was gutted when I did but I really didn't have the *thing* they were looking for. The OC said thanks for turning up, but now sod off and go back to what you're good at!

drop out that is the biggest load of urine i have ever read regarding UKSF(R) selection 3 sets of 500 press ups with 30lb off webbing on you, utter utter bollocks simple as, 3 mile an hour over hills funny how it stands at 4 kph in the really real world

guys for 21/23 get out running, get up the hills, swim a mile once a week, do some circuits or phone the staff for the training programme developed by APTC for candidates attempting uksf selection.
first weekend you will do (depending on sqn location and numbers) a BFT CFT and UKSF swim test

for SBS R you so UKSF briefing course reserve consisting off
-Army/RM Combat fitness test 12.8km in 2 hours 21kg 4 kg weapon 25kg all up
-RM advanced cft x2 15km and 24km over two days
-day 1 15km 25kg 2h30mins
-day2 24km 30kg 4hours
-UKSF Swimming test high water entry 3m 9 min tread water 500m any stroke 10 m under water recover 5lb brick in cs95
-map reading test

pass that little lot and you can come play on UKSF(R) selection

training should be something like (pre aptitude)
mon 40 min run(include 8x sprints varried lengths)
tue multigym circuit full body
wed 20km march 30lb 3h25mins
thur circuit's 12 exercises 20 reps 3 times through
fri 40 min fast run
sat stretch all mucle groups
sun 2-3 hour tab over hills 40lb

going into hills
mon am bpfa pm swim 30 mins
tue am 30 min run pm 40 min run
wed am rest pm tab hills 40lb 2-3 hours
thur am rest pm tab hills 2-3 hours 40lb
fri am circuit's 12 exercises 20 reps 4 times through pm rest (go on piss)
sat stretch eat drink lots of CLEAR fluid's
sunday tab hills 45lb 2-3 hours

be focused be sure its what you really want then be single minded about it nothing NOTHING should stand in the way

Latest Threads