SBS Miniature Submarines dangerous to SBS

I'm pretty sure the one's in bold aren't Mini-sub related, I bet a load of the others listed ain't.

Still, quite a lot of injuries and deaths.

...it's almost as though being a frogman/submariner/military diver/special forces commando isn't the safest job on the earth?
Im not sure how many of the ones related to the equipment are attributable to the equipment
Im not convinced crashed into a trawler is indicative of poor design

Pre mini subs their was a similar incident on one of the O boats in a Scottish lough when the sub encountered a pocket of fresh water and lost depth. IIRC two lads perished then.
Referred to in Don Camsell’s book, Black Water, and also in another book, the name of which escapes me, by one of the officers of the boats crew.

To the uninitiated, how does losing depth cause issues? I would have thought gaining depth would be the killer.
"Losing depth control" would be the full expression. Its not used in the same way as "losing height" would be in aviation.

ETA Sudden depth decrease is dangerous in certain circumstances, as is sudden depth increase.

"Losing depth control" would be the full expression. Its not used in the same way as "losing height" would be in aviation.

ETA Sudden depth decrease is dangerous in certain circumstances, as is sudden depth increase.
Good point. Looking at the Bends and gas embolisms then. Not good.

I'm no rocket scientist, and I know almost nothing of SF Ops.

But at a rough guess, I'd hazard a guess at "being in the Special Boat Service is dangerous" and leave it at that. Other than getting wasted in the Jolly Sailor on Poole Quay, everything they do is flipping dangerous.
Not really how risk assessment works :mrgreen:

To the uninitiated, how does losing depth cause issues? I would have thought gaining depth would be the killer.
Something to do with old rebreathers only working above a set depth and water pressure on the body
Also your dry bag turns into shrink wrap and you can't kick for the surface due to pressure and so just sink.