SBS hero killed on holiday

#1
AN SBS hero honoured for rescuing a CIA agent from the Taliban has died in a freak hang-gliding accident.

Sgt Paul McGeogh, 41, was using a rented motorised hang-glider while on holiday in Cyprus.

But when the engine cut out it plunged 1,000ft to the ground and into a vineyard. He died instantly.

The extreme sports enthusiast was on the island with his wife and children at the resort of Pissouri near Limassol.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006260796,00.html

RIP
 
#2
What a bloody waste :sad:

RIP Shippers and my heartfelt condolences to his family and oppos....
 
#3
RIP
 
#5
RIP. To go through so much and die in an accident. What a sad loss. My sincere condolences to his family.


fastmedic
 
#6
RIP and this is very curious, and something not picked up, is it true? Nothing mentioned on the Medal of Honour pages

For the extraordinary act, Sgt McGeogh was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honour — America’s top bravery award.

The MoD also gave Sgt McGeogh a Mention in Despatches.

Another example of the scum getting bloody wrong ONCE again i see..why do they do that..its just not true..why post it as such???
 
#9
thoughts turn to his family in their time of loss.

rip.
 
#10
emptyeye said:
RIP and this is very curious, and something not picked up, is it true? Nothing mentioned on the Medal of Honour pages

For the extraordinary act, Sgt McGeogh was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honour — America’s top bravery award.

The MoD also gave Sgt McGeogh a Mention in Despatches.

Another example of the scum getting bloody wrong ONCE again i see..why do they do that..its just not true..why post it as such???
A tragic loss.
RIP.

Someone in the SBS was awarded the US CMofH for that, but no names or photographs appeared.
Whether it was Sgt. McGeogh, I have no idea.
 
#11
I knew a Sgt. McGeogh at Lympstone. He was a PTI there in 2000/1 when I was trying to get on the CC. Dont know if it was the same bloke but he was some man. A monster in the gym but a genuinly funny, good man when you spoke to him. Wonder if it was him. RIP.
 
#15
Onetap said:
emptyeye said:
RIP and this is very curious, and something not picked up, is it true? Nothing mentioned on the Medal of Honour pages

For the extraordinary act, Sgt McGeogh was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honour — America’s top bravery award.

The MoD also gave Sgt McGeogh a Mention in Despatches.

Another example of the scum getting bloody wrong ONCE again i see..why do they do that..its just not true..why post it as such???
A tragic loss.
RIP.

Someone in the SBS was awarded the US CMofH for that, but no names or photographs appeared.
Whether it was Sgt. McGeogh, I have no idea.
I agree, great loss, but the MoH is questionable with no real information
 
#18
Boxingmad said:
From looking at the US site for the medal, no foreign individual was eligable for the CMoH.

I have to concur, poor lad lost his life on holiday, but the MoH story is just not true, in fact, not even 1 US serviceman has been awarded the MoH for Afganistan, and only has 1 for Iraq.
 
#19
emptyeye said:
Boxingmad said:
From looking at the US site for the medal, no foreign individual was eligable for the CMoH.

I have to concur, poor lad lost his life on holiday, but the MoH story is just not true, in fact, not even 1 US serviceman has been awarded the MoH for Afganistan, and only has 1 for Iraq.
I'm pretty sure you are correct, non-Americans can not be awarded the MOH.

A couple of years ago, I took part in an effort to get a South Vietnamese SEAL, who had been awarded the US Navy Cross medal upgraded to a MOH, just like the US Navy SEAL who he was with on the same mission (BAT-21) that was awarded the MOH. The request was turned down because he wasn't an American at that time.

As far as I know, his Navy Cross, was the highest American award given to a South Vietnamese, during the Vietnam war.
 
#20
SBS man rescuing a cia operative sounds a bit like a waltish fantasy too, did this event even take place?

It probably did the the suns half arsed reporting has made me sceptical.

RIP to what was undoubtably a brave switched-on bloke

shame that the scum couldnt get the facts right
 

Similar threads

Top