SAWES Sight

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by higgins0421, May 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondering if anyone out there remembers a sight called the SAWES, i think it was used on the SLR but im not sure. But my question is what type of battery did it use?

2. Small Arms Weapons Effect Simulator. Not a sight as such. Do you mean Sight Unit, Small Arms, Trilux. Aka SUSAT ?

It's not powered by batteries, but a Tritium light source, aka Trilux

3. The early version of the SUSAT was the SUIT (Sight Unit Infantry Trilux) and was an add on for the SLR. Very similar to SUSAT with the same power source.

4. Was it not the SUIt on the SLR?

[​IMG]

5. The SAWES laser used standard AA batteries. Did a ( dull ) trial of the stuff on an Eagles Strike Ex.

6. Cool, thats the answer I think I was looking for. Thanks for your help!

7. That brings back memories, one of those stopped a brick hitting me in the kisser while doing top cover in Belfast. Luck really we were doing about 40 it have turned my head inside out. Sight was fucked though, I could tell by the way it was in little pieces.

8. HHH

HHH LE

IIRC didn't you have to phone a special armourer when you broke the SUIT sight.

9. I don't remember much after, I was in quite a lot of pain, It was followed by a fair few other missiles and we had been briefed that an RPG was about so I couldn't do the obvious and duck inside. I do remember aiming my SLR at likely ambush points wondering if it would still work

10. Before my time, but probably, much like the SUSAT, due to the tritium

11. Fuckin waste of time - the light source on the SUSAT is on a rod on the end of the knurled switchy on and offy knob.

It's a small glass ampoule set on the rod using silicone - you could smash the crap out of a SUSAT with a BFOH and still not manage to crack the GTLS (Gaseous Tritium Light Source.) There is more radiation in my piss than a SUSAT - Just the MOD being over cautious / panicking about radiation.

12. Probably so, but they still had to have GTLS clean-up kit in the armouries/CQMS store, due to people like leach's for you etc. and all the other spunk guzzling wannabe lawyers that need educating with a G10 shovel....

13. Scientists generally agree that there is no safe level of radiation, but there are definitely dangerous levels of radiation.

But radiation has a cumulative effect. So presumably, your armourer, repeatedly breathing in tritium gas from SUITs/SUSATS you've Tonka'd is increasing his long term cancer risk significantly. That's probably why he takes such precautions.

14. The official SOP when a Tritium vial broke was to clear the room for 1 hour to allow the radioactive Tritium gas to dissipate. sweep up the broken glass and place in a garbage can. They did have a habit of breaking just after lunch or on Friday afternoon for some reason. Armours were trained to fix sights but to fix a SUIT or SUSAT it was a Instrument Technician's job no idea what they call it now I was one for six years but that was 15 years ago.

As for radiation it was a beta source there were a lot more nasty heavy metals and radioactive metals used to coat lenses and the fun salts that leach out cast metals the sights were made off, Cadmium salt's with your chips.