Savings from Redundancies

Discussion in 'Strategic Defence & Spending Review (SDSR)' started by Outstanding, Aug 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If you read this and do the maths honsetly and with abit of an experienced eye; and then consider what the likely costs to the UK Economy as whole the loss of jobs will incur - can you see any real saving?

The final costs and savings from redundancies will depend on a number of factors, including the level of natural wastage, salary, rank/grade and length of service of personnel selected. Estimates of the levels of savings can only be provided for the next four years, as planning data beyond those years does not give the sufficient level of detail.

The current assessment is that around 11,000 service personnel will be made redundant, from the total drawdown of around 17,000, at a cost of around £600-700 million. The service redundancy programme will take place over four years, although the majority will leave the service in 2012 and 2013. The estimated savings from service personnel pay costs from as a result of all reductions (including natural wastage) is £2.4 billion over financial years 2011-12 to 2014-15, though there will be enduring savings thereafter.

The current estimate of the cost of reducing the number of civil servants is around £580 million over three years to achieve a proportion of the 25,000 civil service personnel reductions detailed in the Strategic Defence and Security Review. The estimated savings from civilian pay costs as a result of these reductions (including early release and natural wastage) is £0.9 billion over financial years 2011-12 to 2014-15, with enduring savings thereafter.
  2. Are you in the frame?
  3. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

The savings to the MOD budget are stated in the text from Hansard. Savings to the whole economy are impossible to estimate because that depends entirely on what all these redundant people end up doing in terms of future employment or benefit payments, though no doubt Treasury planners will have various economic models to tinker with.
  4. ..............................

Exactly mate, only time will tell, but I am not convinced that there will be any sigificant real savings other than those long term that occur due to having a smaller Army (but larger TA!!?) - that is if that actually works?
  5. Front and centre mate!
  6. Well, I hope it goes your way if that's what you're after mucker! Just get that bank account chokka with LOA first eh? ;-)

oh....and the kids schooled on the cheap as well!
  7. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Indeed, and it's all small fry compared to the bloodbath in the markets over the Euro and US debt crisis and our own ticking demographic time-bomb, but the pressure is going to be relentlessly downwards for a long time.
  8. ...................................

Actually just heard that I am safe, never in doubt!

And LOA just went up by 2 quid a day and the kids are still in schoool courtesy of HMG taxpayers. Have agreat weekend - mmmm Herforder or Warsteiner - Mercedes or BMW?
  9. I love the fact that Dave Cameron is insisting on giving ever increasing amounts of money to corrupt African leaders in a desperate attempt to "look nice" and pretend that Britain is no longer full of nasty people who will come over, conquor your tribes and enforce the rule of law while giving the country fantastic infrastructure, schools and hospitals and a honest, functioning civil service and government...

...while at the same time the African Union leaders who are gathered in a 5* resort in Kenya (to discuss "good governance") have delayed their meeting to discuss their response to the famine in the Horn of Africa by two weeks.

Laugh? I will when something nasty happens to him.
  10. Time to shut down the international aid package.

Time to stop gastric bands, ivf and other frivoulous sh1t on te NHS.

Time to start killing off the more troublesome offenders languishing in a prisons.

And anyone earning more unemployment benefits than the simple sum of average working week multiplied by minimum wage should have that severely culled too.

Then we can look at the MPs wages, perks and expenses...
  11. ................................................

Staedy On - you may start improving things!
  12. Hmmm NHS, where to start, right the PCT's were going and the money was to be given to GP consortia. Anyone tell me which PCT has shut down? They are amalgamating and are bigger than before.
    No GP budget is in sight and no cost savings. The minor operations that GP's can do have been cut and won't be paid for so patients go to hospitals at a much larger cost.
  13. There is no real need to. All that is required is that every expense/allowance claimed is published in public.

As for the bit I snipped, agreed (maybe not the killing bit).
  14. Not breast enlargements though. They have to keep giving them out. There's nothing like a durty chav bird with false tits. Ooo, I can almost smell her fish supper breath from here...
  15. Hi,

Ramadan began on the 1st August and will conclude around 30th August when the end of fasting is celebrated with Eid Ul Fitr. The actual date of Eid (like the commencement of Ramadan) is determined by the sighting of the moon and can only be confirmed by mosques a few days before the actual event.

During Ramadan Muslims will abstain from food and drink to make a clear statement of obedience to Allah, gain enlightenment and recognise the suffering of the poor. Fasting is one of the five pillars of Islam along with; five times daily prayers, a belief in the single Allah and Mohammed as his last and final messenger, almsgiving and performance of the Hajj pilgrimage.

That above tripe is from our Equality and diversity officer, we still have money for