Saving Private Ryan - Alternative Action

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Jerrycan2793, May 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am sure many have seen SPR and Captain Millers decision to attack an MG nest with his small squad (The Bit which results in Wades Death)

That said, How would you guys have dealt with the situation? You have the same Men and Equipment as seen in the movie, Your Int on the MG Nest is limited.

Personally I would use Jackson (To Gather a bit of Int, Enemy Strength Etc...) Upon discovery that there are only 3/4 Men Defending had Jackson take the first Shot. Fire and Manoeuvre grenades in and the whole textbook Sandhurst shebang from there on in bags of aggression and all that...

I leave the floor open to your suggestions.

Yes I am bored - Any other movies in which you would have acted differently and then saved the day with less loss of life?

2. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

Star Wars - I'd have shot that escape pod, no life signs or not.

• Like Like x 11
  3. Finding Nemo - sushi anyone?

4. That said can you imagine explaining to Vader or the emperor... Sir we think we stopped the plans but because they are now scattered across space we don't know either way...

• Like Like x 2
  5. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

Give the USAF a 6 figure of your coords and, hey presto, the Septics will zap the Krauts... job jobbed.

6. Probably leave it for somebody else because I don't want to get sweaty running up that hill

• Like Like x 1
  7. Already stated in film that they won't waste the ordnance on a single nest. It also appears they have no comms

8. School boy (CCF?) errors from start to finish. It all started to go wrong when Tom Hanks came across the MG position as a result of his failure to get shacked up with a French lady of negotiable affection for three weeks and then report back that the boy Ryan was nowhere to be found. Bloody amateur. Flashman would have had this covered.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Shout "Cut!". Move actors up hill and tell the extras dressed as Germans to have a tea break. Then shout "Action!" Pos taken, no bloodshed, no damaged egos, job jobbed.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Maybe not, i seem to recall reading somewhere (Stephen Ambrose's citzen soldiers?) that during the Normandy campaign, one unfortunate US infantry division, the 30th i believe, renamed the US 9th tactical airforce the 9th luftwaffe given the amount of friendly fire incidents on the former by the latter, so perhaps precision air strikes were not top of the list.

11. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

Actually why don't we form a workshop to discuss it. Then, we put it to a cross Party discussion with our German colleagues - remember we can't assume that they're all Nazis - and set up a steering committee chair-personned by a Vegan Gay whale and put it forward for a mandate and a budget appraisal. If Rupert with the laptop agrees on H&S and Risk Assesment grounds then we move the project forward in a bilateral way and a result that's approved by all. Afterwards we'll have a non-confrontational "lessons learnt" meeting. Okay?

• Like Like x 4
  12. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

You can bugger offt - tomorrow is POETS day so I ain't hanging around for a work group. Anyway as there is no HR presence we can't kill any enemy in case it offends current employment/ECHR law. Depriving someone of their job by killing them may be contrary to legal type law.

13. 1. I'd have kept my shoes on in the nakatomi building.

2. Left with the treasure and not waited for Danny Dravots wedding in Kafiristan.

3. Got a bigger boat for shark hunting off Amity Island.

• Like Like x 2
  14. More likely Capt Miller would find his grid getting mashed up with USAAF 250lbs.

15. titanic- would have slapped jack and shoved him overboard , I reckon the movie could have been half decent without him in the pic

Inglorious bastards- the use of a chainsaw instead of a baseball bat?