Saving in two places at once

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by fraudstar, Mar 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know of a way to save a nomal word document or any other two both a memory stick/pen drive and my hard drive at the same time as opposed to saving to my hard drive and then to mem stick?

2. No, not AFAIK, but you could use the Briefcase in XP and Vista, or SyncToy as recently recommended to me in another thread.

Google it.

It does a good job!

Litotes

3. Open the document and select File then Save As, it will then give you the option to save wherever you wish and/ or in a new format if necessary, that is the only way to save it

Jim

4. But it won't have the same time/date stamp.

Picky I know but I suspect that will be important to the OP!

Litotes

5. Hi

Just came across this thread by accident. I have a project to do at work which involves keeping contractual correspondence on file in a logical manner, and the associated emails, where those emails are sent in by remote workers, and don't necessarily follow the same thread, so duplication is required. Any thoughts on methods that could be used so that people who dip and out of the project files can see a standard replication throughout?

Cheers

6. Which email client are you using? Outlook?

Litotes

7. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Couple of different options for you here

1 Go to Word Options - Advanced, scroll down to Save and select

Always create backup copy
    Select this option to create a backup copy of a document each time you save the document. Each backup copy replaces the previous backup copy. Word adds the phrase "Backup of" to the file name and applies the file extension .wbk to all backup copies. The backup copies are saved in the same folder as your original document.

2. If using remote drives like USB drives, Word Options - Advanced, scroll down to Save and select

Copy remotely stored files onto your computer, and update the remote file when saving
    Select this option to temporarily store a local copy of a file that you store on a network or removable drive. When you save the local copy, Word saves your changes to the original copy. If the original file is not available, Word prompts you to save the file in another location to avoid data loss.

8. Thank you Litotes, I seen my mistake, had not read correctly :-(. Fraid I have no answer for the email question

Jim

9. If having the same date/time stamp is critical, then copy the file, rather than save it the second time.

10. Just scanned the net and came up with something, I have never done it but can you do a macro in Word, if so here is a formula which may have to be tweaked to your requirements:

Sub SaveMe2()

With ActiveWorkbook
    .SaveAs Filename:="H:\Network Path\Filename.xls"
    .SaveAs Filename:="C:\Local Path\Filename.xls"
    End With

End Sub

This is for Excel but as said maybe tweaked to what you want. Hope it is of help.

Jim

11. Yes, Outlook.

12. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

You could create an inbox rule that copies an inbound email either from a specific location, person, keyword etc to a folder. They are pretty easy to setup, wizard driven etc.