Saving in two places at once

Does anyone know of a way to save a nomal word document or any other two both a memory stick/pen drive and my hard drive at the same time as opposed to saving to my hard drive and then to mem stick?

fraudstar said:
Does anyone know of a way to save a nomal word document or any other two both a memory stick/pen drive and my hard drive at the same time as opposed to saving to my hard drive and then to mem stick?

No, not AFAIK, but you could use the Briefcase in XP and Vista, or SyncToy as recently recommended to me in another thread.

Google it.

It does a good job!

Litotes

The Sailor

Old-Salt
Open the document and select File then Save As, it will then give you the option to save wherever you wish and/ or in a new format if necessary, that is the only way to save it

Jim

The Sailor said:
Open the document and select File then Save As, it will then give you the option to save wherever you wish and/ or in a new format if necessary, that is the only way to save it

Jim

But it won't have the same time/date stamp.

Picky I know but I suspect that will be important to the OP!

Litotes

Hi

Just came across this thread by accident. I have a project to do at work which involves keeping contractual correspondence on file in a logical manner, and the associated emails, where those emails are sent in by remote workers, and don't necessarily follow the same thread, so duplication is required. Any thoughts on methods that could be used so that people who dip and out of the project files can see a standard replication throughout?

Cheers

captaincalamity said:
Hi

Just came across this thread by accident. I have a project to do at work which involves keeping contractual correspondence on file in a logical manner, and the associated emails, where those emails are sent in by remote workers, and don't necessarily follow the same thread, so duplication is required. Any thoughts on methods that could be used so that people who dip and out of the project files can see a standard replication throughout?

Cheers

Which email client are you using? Outlook?

Litotes

Couple of different options for you here

1 Go to Word Options - Advanced, scroll down to Save and select

Always create backup copy
Select this option to create a backup copy of a document each time you save the document. Each backup copy replaces the previous backup copy. Word adds the phrase "Backup of" to the file name and applies the file extension .wbk to all backup copies. The backup copies are saved in the same folder as your original document.

2. If using remote drives like USB drives, Word Options - Advanced, scroll down to Save and select

Copy remotely stored files onto your computer, and update the remote file when saving
Select this option to temporarily store a local copy of a file that you store on a network or removable drive. When you save the local copy, Word saves your changes to the original copy. If the original file is not available, Word prompts you to save the file in another location to avoid data loss.

The Sailor

Old-Salt
Thank you Litotes, I seen my mistake, had not read correctly :-(. Fraid I have no answer for the email question

Jim

Litotes said:
The Sailor said:

Jim

But it won't have the same time/date stamp.

Picky I know but I suspect that will be important to the OP!

Litotes

If having the same date/time stamp is critical, then copy the file, rather than save it the second time.

The Sailor

Old-Salt
Just scanned the net and came up with something, I have never done it but can you do a macro in Word, if so here is a formula which may have to be tweaked to your requirements:

Sub SaveMe2()

With ActiveWorkbook
.SaveAs Filename:="H:\Network Path\Filename.xls"
.SaveAs Filename:="C:\Local Path\Filename.xls"
End With

End Sub

This is for Excel but as said maybe tweaked to what you want. Hope it is of help.

Jim

You could create an inbox rule that copies an inbound email either from a specific location, person, keyword etc to a folder. They are pretty easy to setup, wizard driven etc.

Latest Threads