Save the Chicken (and other meat)

No comparison between battery and free range chickens, meat or eggs. I buy my eggs from a local man who sells them from the bottom of his drive, help yourself and put the money in a jam jar. I often go along to look at his hens while I'm there as well. If I'm too late to buy any of his eggs, I will cook something else rather than buy supermarket eggs with their tiny lemon - yellow yolks!
Are you just hoping to catch a glimpse of his cock?
View attachment 397378

My parents taught me, and I hammer it into the grand kids now.

It's not big or clever to waste food, however much you have.

They actually become fascinated with the history lesson. "Why didn't your mum have bananas during the war?"
Genuine question: how did people preserve things in those days, particularly as they would not have has access to sugar for things like jam making?

Salting? Drying? Pickling? Were things like vinegar rationed?

Burnt & overcooked, it should be skinned first, boned, placed in a German slemantoph with chicken stock, carrots, chopped onions, red wine, herbs, black pepper, and very slow cooked in an oven, for about 6 hours, nectar of the goods.
Bloody hell I would be dead by then! And I like a crispy chicken skin - crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.

Burnt & overcooked, it should be skinned first, boned, placed in a German slemantoph with chicken stock, carrots, chopped onions, red wine, herbs, black pepper, and very slow cooked in an oven, for about 6 hours, nectar of the goods.
Blackened is the correct term.
Chipotle, BBQ, and a plain piece for the hounds.

They were let to marinade for about 10.5 hours and thrown on the grill...

Sprouts are the work of Satan. They will be banned from production when I run the world. Anyone found in possession of one will be sent to a re-education camp toot-suite!

If sprouts die it is deserved and I hope it is painful and prolonged, and their children, and their children's children unto the hundredth generation are damned unto the fires of hell!

Awful things.
You are cooking them for too long.

Genuine question: how did people preserve things in those days, particularly as they would not have has access to sugar for things like jam making?

I've got a couple of Rumtopfs of my Mum's. It's a jar that fill with fruit and high strength spirits (usually rum) in the summer and leave it to soak until Christmas.

I don't think there was that much of an abundance of food; so everything was probably used there and then.

Having said that, pickling would have been popular for onions etc, most farms could make their own vinegar from cider. I have done this, and also drying beans, and confit of rabbit (very low slow cooked in fat), and then stored in a kilner jar covered in said fat.

The one that fascinated me, which I have still to try, is preserving eggs in waterglass (Sodium Silicate). Good for a year or two by all accounts, although you only need it through the winter until the chicks start laying regularly again.

The one that fascinated me, which I have still to try, is preserving eggs in waterglass (Sodium Silicate). Good for a year or two by all accounts, although you only need it through the winter until the chicks start laying regularly again.

Do you mean those gross and nasty looking things floating around in glass jars in the "finest" pubs in the background which look they have never been touched in years and look radioactive?

Do you mean those gross and nasty looking things floating around in glass jars in the "finest" pubs in the background which look they have never been touched in years and look radioactive?
pickled eggs my boy, guaranteed to clear the sinesses, unblock the internal plumbing, and give you massive dog breath, enjoy!

They're pickled eggs in vinegar.
You haven't lived unless you've done a pickled egg race.
Call yourself a wannabe Brit!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tired_Tech The Intelligence Cell 122
MrBane The Intelligence Cell 87
Camm1 Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 12