Save the Chicken (and other meat)

Eat and enjoy meat and poultry if you will - there is no justification for inflicting uneccessary suffering on animals
I agree, however the EU tollerates animals who are being transported suffering from cramped conditions, lack of water, high temperatures in summer and very rough treatment when it comes to getting the animals out of the vehicle.

I was hoping that this point would be made. The fact is that almost all animal husbandry in agriculture also includes the infliction of suffering at some or other stage, to a lesser or greater extent. It's pretty much unavoidable. The question is - what constitutes uneccessary suffering.
The problem today is that agriculture has become highly industrialized agrobusiness. In the poultry industry they sometimes even refer to a flock (actually a broiler houseful of chickens) raised for meat as a crop.
The result is the inevitable suffering has been exacerbated and multiplied on an industrial scale, all ruled by the drive to maximise on profit. I saw this close up for myself while working in the poultry industry.

Some of the rules often don't help or even make it worse. For example, it is known fact that a percentage of poultry which is humanely stunned/killed by electric shock in industrial processing houses in the USA don't actually die. However, the next stage in processing is to be plunged into boiling water, to loosen all the feathers for plucking. When we calculate the known percentage with the amount of chickens processed by that method annually, we find that something like over a million chickens are plunged into boiling water while alive annually in the USA.

On a personal note, I stopped eating meat and poultry in 1985, before I knew about the problematic industrial aspect, but awareness of it makes the idea of eating meat all the more distasteful.

Last edited:
How about we stuff you in a cage the size of a shoebox. Would you like that?
And there is the point, why do you compare what humans find cruel to chickens?

Whilst we are doing that, these free range chickens, is it not a bit cruel to be taking away their eggs? They must me getting so upset, how would you like it if we keep stealing your wife’s eggs?

Leave her out in a field then pick through her period she had to drip out over the place, its humiliating, do you not think the chicken is humiliated?

Whilst we are doing that, these free range chickens, is it not a bit cruel to be taking away their eggs? They must me getting so upset, how would you like it if we keep stealing your wife’s eggs?

Leave her out in a field then pick through her period she had to drip out over the place, its humiliating, do you not think the chicken is humiliated?
I dont give a fcuk about chickens. I am bothered because you have sand in your vagina.

However, the next stage in processing is to be plunged into boiling water, to loosen all the feathers for plucking.
Early 70s as a poor underpaid airman (sob, sob) I took on a part time job in the local poultry farm which involved plucking geese. One team killed them by breaking their necks, the other team plucked the feathers. Talk about dead but won't lie down. The geese were dead but still flapping. Meanwhile trying to pluck them was not exactly easy and we were standing ankle deep or even deeper in feathers, plus of course loads of feathers and down flying around. Haven't eaten goose since, and very little chicken. Turkey is a different matter, 'cos they're plug ugly f**kers, and taste nice.
Forgot to add that my turkey meat comes from a local farm in Rickelrath. Those Arrsers who were stationed in the JHQ area may know the place. The yanks got their Thanksgiving turkeys from there.
The owner used to allow customers to have a look round, so I took the opportunity to have a quick gander.
Couldn't resist that one.:)

Last edited:

We are at the top of the food chain for a reason.

There is room on this planet for all of Gods creatures.

It right next to the mashed potato.

I eat meat, and my family eats meat. I have no problem with it and enjoy it.

What I don't do, personally, and which I have drilled into my kids not to do, is leave any meat. Leave vegetables by all means, but eat the meat that is on the plate. An animal as died for that meal, and the least we can do is actually consume it.
Are you trying to tell me sprouts don't die?

Are you trying to tell me sprouts don't die?
Sprouts are the work of Satan. They will be banned from production when I run the world. Anyone found in possession of one will be sent to a re-education camp toot-suite!

If sprouts die it is deserved and I hope it is painful and prolonged, and their children, and their children's children unto the hundredth generation are damned unto the fires of hell!

Awful things.

Sprouts are the work of Satan. They will be banned from production when I run the world. Anyone found in possession of one will be sent to a re-education camp toot-suite!

If sprouts die it is deserved and I hope it is painful and prolonged, and their children, and their children's children unto the hundredth generation are damned unto the fires of hell!

Awful things.
What gas mark would you put the Fires of Hell on?

Eat and enjoy meat and poultry if you will - there is no justification for inflicting unnecessary suffering on animals
What would you consider necessary suffering? Honest question.

If you can't taste the difference between cheap factory farmed chicken, and some chicken from your local butchers or village cooperative then your taste buds must be lacking
I tend to mainly use Chicken thighs in a curry, or chicken breast in a stir fry or beaten into either schnitzel or roll.

I accept a roast chicken free range is much tastier but to be honest, once its covered in gravy and eaten with some sage and onion stuffing with perhaps some peri peri dressing my taste buds are active enough that the chicken may pass, but that isnt the point.

On what basis is a battery farm cruel to a chicken, who asked the chicken if they feel persecuted or know what the hell is going on?

It seems that according to posts in this thread, because putting a human in a shoe box size cell (relative) is cruel, ergo its cruel to a chicken.

Where do we go next, fish farms, fish tanks, shooting........

The point of this thread was the distinction that a group of humans crammed in together like a South Yorkshire football match compared to a farm animal in the same dilemma isnt even in the same ball park and yet we act like it is.

Chickens in cages are a social conscious issue in my opinion and is bugger all to do with cruelty, however, as per usual there cannot be a decent conversation about it because my beliefs on this matter make me a cruel person.

Let me put this straight, I don't give a damn about chickens, I don't believe they have feelings that a human can relate to, I don't think they experience fear like a human, they cannot conceptualize depression or anxiety in the brain, its an instinct if they lay an egg or not, they have no mental awareness of freedom in fact they dont actually have any mental awareness, they only have fight/flight instincts.

So despite how it appears I am not trying to be a nob, i just do not think you can be cruel to a chicken.

However, before you suggest that pulling the wings of one or cutting its eyes out whilst still alive is what I am advocating here, it says more about the person doing this than the action. If it were some random fantasy then human problem and they need help, if it were a chink doing it because they believed it tasted better or gave them powers then once again I couldnt GAF, its a chicken.

PS. I think Whales and Dolphins do have an awareness different to a chicken or cow as do some Monkeys and Apes.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tired_Tech The Intelligence Cell 122
MrBane The Intelligence Cell 87
Camm1 Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 12