Sausages and Bacon

Tool

LE
Just checked on the bacon. The instructions say to turn it over after 2 days.

It’s looking good. Plenty of liquid has come out and the meat feels a bit firmer. It’s started taking on a darker colour too.

The instructions specifically say not to open the bags so I haven’t.

Tomorrow will be 4 days and then it’s time to wash the curing salts off and start drying it out.

In the meantime I’ve bought some hickory chips for smoking it.

I’m in two minds whether to go for a hot smoke or a cold smoke. I don’t want to cook it and lose all the flavour of the cure.

At the moment a cold smoke is my preferred choice.
Just remember not to wash it too much, as you want to keep some of the curing flavour.

Just remember not to wash it too much, as you want to keep some of the curing flavour.
You mean wipe it on the curtains...

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Well, the kit has turned up, sausage machine, Tongmaster sausage spices, Tongmaster natural casing, just waiting for the Cumberland sausage mix to show up. Will be popping out later to get the pork and then I'm all set to start sausaging!

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Well, the kit has turned up, sausage machine, Tongmaster sausage spices, Tongmaster natural casing, just waiting for the Cumberland sausage mix to show up. Will be popping out later to get the pork and then I'm all set to start sausaging!

You need plenty of time,space and big bowls.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Time for the next stage of the bacon curing process.

Wash and pat dry the meat. Place in muslin bags and stick it in the fridge for 3 days.

The kit came with some meat hooks for hanging the bags, but I’m not sure what you’re supposed to suspend these from in the fridge. I’ve just put them over a rack to catch any juices that come out.

On the subject of juices, a fair bit has come out of the meat over the past few days. It’s definitely working.

827E597A-0160-4DB6-9315-5F9570862A77.jpeg
08B21F04-56F9-4974-9621-B7E40C8DE9F6.jpeg
491C6ABA-5B34-4D30-9B2D-BF88C0EAF7A2.jpeg

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
First attempt today with the sausage machine, 2.5kg of home made Cumberland snorkers!

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That’s the bacon now fully cured.

It looks and feels fantastic. The instructions from the kit say to slice it and eat it now, but I want to add a cold smoke to it.

I’ve got a smoking cylinder thing that you fill with smoking pellets. They look a bit like cat litter.

You light it with a wind proof lighter and it just gently smokes away for around 4 hours, without generating much heat at all.

See you in 4 hours.

E917A173-DD5D-4A2C-83B5-E60BA025E6D9.jpeg
E2C3BBDB-CDAE-4D7D-B213-AE976522438C.jpeg
B96CCE4C-B78A-482E-9938-1E8E5BD85B2D.jpeg
D6D2A0FD-B012-4C37-847E-65790838741C.jpeg
CC3CA45B-B711-45F5-B3A6-3CF050E4A700.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What would it do if you lit it with a Swan Vesta or a cheap two for a quid disposable lighter?
It probably wouldn’t light.

You need to give it a blast with a really intense hot flame for about a minute.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Done.

Happy with the result.

It’s hard to slice.
9EF8860C-4C05-4B5F-85B3-E211AAD5BB0C.jpeg
8B96F4AE-8083-4398-95D9-0B911A9CC4FD.jpeg
36A36711-F9F3-48CD-9317-9E97B561FE2F.jpeg

Has @Joker62 been seen since his sausagefest??

Not yet, he was saying on faceache they were having a BBQ this weekend
I know and I enquired on ccokery thread yesterday.
I fear someone may have dragged him over his counter and rammed a selection of kitchen and bbq utensils up his arse.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I fear someone may have dragged him over his counter and rammed a selection of kitchen and bbq utensils up his arse.
Probably just died of botulism.

Zulu_w

Old-Salt
Been making my own sausage, mostly boerwors for a few years now as it is difficult to get good stuff here. Also make fresh bratwurst, Italian and English breakfast. Get hog casing from Weschenfelder who have been brilliant. Buy them pre loaded on a tube packed in salt when I am in the UK. Fairly decent shelf life and customs never seems to be bothered. Mostly do a 70 beef 30 pork belly mix but have moved over to just beef. Mix of chuck and brisket as pork has become increasingly difficult to find.

Shelled out in the end for a vertical stuffer having used a grinder before. Get the butchert to mince the beef fresh and I grind the pork belly frozen. Also use a mechanical mixer as I tend to do around 20 pounds at a time.

Have got better with practice and have moved on to making up my own spice mixes. Mate of mine gets his Boerie spice in from SA and I have to say it is amazing.

Batch from a few weeks ago. Son helps out as my assistant beer fetcher.

20181027_135004.jpg

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Has @Joker62 been seen since his sausagefest??
Probably just died of botulism.
Nope, still here, only just though (see cookery thread for details), sausagws went down a treat. The only problem I had was getting them to brown on the BBQ so had to grill them to get some colour. Is this a thing with natural casings? Next on the list is Merquez, spicy Lamb sausages, the spice mix arrived in Sat.

ugly

LE
Nope, still here, only just though (see cookery thread for details), sausagws went down a treat. The only problem I had was getting them to brown on the BBQ so had to grill them to get some colour. Is this a thing with natural casings? Next on the list is Merquez, spicy Lamb sausages, the spice mix arrived in Sat.

Natural runners should brown easily , usually a too low fat content is the problem

Latest Threads