Sausages and Bacon

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
I am toying with the idea of making my own sausages and was thinking of some of the stuff you have put up before but that thing you showed reminded me of one thing.
"Oh, no, not again!"

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Thanks a bundle, I've just spent some cash on a mincer/sausage machine, natural casings and several bags of spices inc Merguez, just need to explain to SWMBO how I needed it all and find somewhere to store it!

Oops

War Hero
Thanks a bundle, I've just spent some cash on a mincer/sausage machine, natural casings and several bags of spices inc Merguez, just need to explain to SWMBO how I needed it all and find somewhere to store it!
Tastes a bit like chicken, apparently!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Thanks a bundle, I've just spent some cash on a mincer/sausage machine, natural casings and several bags of spices inc Merguez, just need to explain to SWMBO how I needed it all and find somewhere to store HIDE it!
FoC

Simple really - tell her its all part of your elaborate plan to utilise the Bay trees du have growing in wild abundance!

Last edited:
No update to the Great Matelot Sausage Exploration Expedition of 2020...

but, still perhaps a bit early to call the coroner?

Just make some Maccyd's style sausage patties if you don't want to go through the faff of skins if your just trying it .

I did that first with some seasoning from here Pork Sausage Seasonings - Cumberland, Pork & Apple - Weschenfelder
This is what I do. I can’t get sausage skins here and a machine, I’m guessing, would be impossible during lockdown, so patties and or hand shaped sausages. Not the same but good enough. I still haven’t settled on my favourite recipe, but my results have been very edible so far and I’ve not managed to kill anyone so far.

If you're not using cases, use an egg-wash and lightly coat the sausage with breadcrumbs. It does more or less the same job when cooking. That's how I test a batch of sausage meat for taste before stuffing.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
If you're not using cases, use an egg-wash and lightly coat the sausage with breadcrumbs. It does more or less the same job when cooking. That's how I test a batch of sausage meat for taste before stuffing.
Used to have that as a kid, Mum called them "rissoles", I said rissoles, not *********, you blind twats.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just checked on the bacon. The instructions say to turn it over after 2 days.

It’s looking good. Plenty of liquid has come out and the meat feels a bit firmer. It’s started taking on a darker colour too.

The instructions specifically say not to open the bags so I haven’t.

Tomorrow will be 4 days and then it’s time to wash the curing salts off and start drying it out.

In the meantime I’ve bought some hickory chips for smoking it.

I’m in two minds whether to go for a hot smoke or a cold smoke. I don’t want to cook it and lose all the flavour of the cure.

At the moment a cold smoke is my preferred choice.

Glad to see you made it safely through @Ravers ...

you had us worried there for a minute.