Sausages and Bacon

Take a look at the link I put up in post #10 of this thread. They do pre mixed spices for all kinds of meats that include the rusk component.

I use their patty burger mix with houtskool boerewors mix in a 3:1 ratio to make burger/frikkadel/meatball base that works a treat. I end up with 4kg of the stuff which does around 200lbs of meat, but the neighbours and family all get some of the spice and it lasts for ages.

I’m interested in trying making some of my own. The farting about and filling the skins bit is off putting though. Would it be feasible if I turned up at local butcher with my ‘filling’ and ask how much to turn into sausages - or would that be breaching several food regulations??

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
A fascinating thread when I consider all I ever do is go the butcher in the village and he provides my bacon and sausages.

I’m interested in trying making some of my own. The farting about and filling the skins bit is off putting though. Would it be feasible if I turned up at local butcher with my ‘filling’ and ask how much to turn into sausages - or would that be breaching several food regulations??
Might work. Got a tame butcher here who I ask to save the last 20 lbs of boerewors for me. I'll turn up while he's filling the casings and give him my own mix of chili and garlic, which he adds to what's left and then does the sausages for me.

I pay him normal price per kg, which includes the kg or so of my own stuff I've added but I can live with it. He also grabs a kg or two for himself because he knows I do good heat.

Last edited:

Oops

War Hero
Yes (to the last question)

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I imagine most butchers would be quite insulted at the prospect of some random amateur thinking their own recipe was better than theirs.

Every butcher I’ve met is fiercely proud of their sausage recipe and thinks it’s the best. Someone having the audacity to not buy theirs, over their own concoction wouldn’t go down well.

As a non-cooking type person who would rather buy stuff, and preferably have someone else cook it for them, this thread is fascinating.

Anyone fancy coming round my gaff with the finished article?

Rab_C

War Hero
Got a Freddy Hirsch factory store a few blocks from me. If you want boerie spices and mixes, as well as for pork sossinges, Cumberland, russians, cabanossi, salami and anything along those lines and you have a tame BA/Virgin crew member to carry it for you, let me know.

Or use someone closer to home, this is who I use.

I'm having slices of cold butter on a sleeve of saltines for a midnight snack, trying not to go full on kitchen invasion... This late-night reading up on ArRSe thing might be bad for me...

Eh... it's after 0330, so I may as well get my own arse up and fix some steak and eggs for brekkie.

Oops

War Hero
I imagine most butchers would be quite insulted at the prospect of some random amateur thinking their own recipe was better than theirs.

Every butcher I’ve met is fiercely proud of their sausage recipe and thinks it’s the best. Someone having the audacity to not buy theirs, over their own concoction wouldn’t go down well.
I can criticise her kids, kick their dogs(or is it t'other way round?)
Crash tractors into their new barn (that one was a bit touch and go)......
Even on occasion suggest the bloody nags would be better in the freezer than the field.

But there's one thing I'd never, ever, ever, do.............

Criticise their sausage.

That's how Feudin starts tha'nos...

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Turned out great.

These are as nice as any top end butcher’s sausage I’ve ever tried. A damn site better than anything you can get in a supermarket.

While it was cooking it smelt a bit “rusky” and I was worried it wouldn’t be that nice. In the end they turned out better than expected.

Next time I’ll maybe up the fat content just a little. I used mince with about a 20% fat content. 25 - 30% would be just right.

A strong win.

Turned out great.

These are as nice as any top end butcher’s sausage I’ve ever tried. A damn site better than anything you can get in a supermarket.

While it was cooking it smelt a bit “rusky” and I was worried it wouldn’t be that nice. In the end they turned out better than expected.

Next time I’ll maybe up the fat content just a little. I used mince with about a 20% fat content. 25 - 30% would be just right.

A strong win.
Sure that wasn't "musty?" Whot with those old collagen sleeves... Giz us another update in about 6-8 hours, just soz we know whether to send flowers Guv.

I, myself, am in that survival window from the Chinese GF's beef and cabbage dumplings from last night... looks like I am good to go. This time.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Sure that wasn't "musty?" Whot with those old collagen sleeves... Giz us another update in about 6-8 hours, just soz we know whether to send flowers Guv.
I’ve been to India 3 times on Her Majesty’s grey war canoes.

My stomach is certified bomb proof. My ******** has been pressure tested to over 30 bar.

A bit of slightly out of date collagen isn’t gonna even touch the sides.

IIRC the recipe for the houtskool boerewors I use is around 20-30% fat/spek.

Pofadder wors is even higher. It's the boerewors version of haggis without all that vegetarian shit in it.

I am toying with the idea of making my own sausages and was thinking of some of the stuff you have put up before but that thing you showed reminded me of one thing.

I’ve been to India 3 times on Her Majesty’s grey war canoes.

My stomach is certified bomb proof. My ******** has been pressure tested to over 30 bar.

A bit of slightly out of date collagen isn’t gonna even touch the sides.
I've slogged on in and drank stank water, along with eating questionable local delicacies on 5 different continents, and I have found that there are still, ever present, surprises lurking everywhere.

I am toying with the idea of making my own sausages and was thinking of some of the stuff you have put up before but that thing you showed reminded me of one thing.
He gets his slick, splotchy head from his mother's side of the family.

Just make some Maccyd's style sausage patties if you don't want to go through the faff of skins if your just trying it .

I did that first with some seasoning from here Pork Sausage Seasonings - Cumberland, Pork & Apple - Weschenfelder

My tolerance for filling and linking snorkers declines after a while. Then I make coiled curly ones to put on the BBQ and finally I just divide into one pound lumps ready to insert into an unlucky chook. As to rusk, I don't bother. My recipe calls for slices of white bread soaked in milk until like jelly, squeezed dry as possible then into the mincer with the pork and herbs.

I can criticise her kids, kick their dogs(or is it t'other way round?)
Crash tractors into their new barn (that one was a bit touch and go)......
Even on occasion suggest the bloody nags would be better in the freezer than the field.

But there's one thing I'd never, ever, ever, do.............

Criticise their sausage.

That's how Feudin starts tha'nos...
Sounds like insecurity to me. Blokes I know are always happy to learn something new.

What @Grouchy said above makes sense. Try the mix as patties or grill as cevapi on the barbecue until you find something you like then make a plan to get a tame butcher to do them for you or just get a hand mincer/filler and do it yourself.

Might be worth rounding up a few mates, chipping in for a shedload of ingredients and kit and making a day of it, some of the results going on the grill or in a pan with fried onions. Couple of baguettes, tub of good senf and a crate of beer to enhance things and Bob's a mad dictator.

Latest Threads