Saudis tool up for war

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by DesktopCommando, Jan 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/?storyID=4846

"The Arab world will use the International Defence Exhibition (IDEX), to tool up for a coming confrontation with Iran, and to arm Sunni insurgents to fight Iran's allies in Iraq, the Shia militias."

Well this is an intresting read :x

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

The 'report' reads like a tin-foil nightmare. There are no hard facts, there are no accurate figures, but there is a whole bunch of supposition, innuendo and guestimating going on.

Shite, lazy, unintelligent reporting.

3. F-ing ell, Saudi Defence Forces, just about capable of controlling the local citizens, about as much use as Sodoms Guards.
    john

4. seconded. if the saudis take on iran without us support (or even with it) i suggest they're in for a thorough kicking. would that outcome be useful to anyone? tinfoil time, methinks.

5. Why would the Suadis want to dirty they hands with Iranian scum when when they have their running dog lackies in Washington and Washington's biatch in London to do it for them!

6. Agree Arifix,
    King George II is way up their back passage and I do hope Bruin isn't as stupid as his predecessor.
    john

7. Wouldn't be so sure of Uncle Sam's support.

Congress have just told him to poke with a HUGE arms shoppng list from them, they've just bought a load of Mil Hip and Hinds and signed loads of deals for gas and oil with Russia.

The last time the US refused a similar sized deal, we (the UK) got the Al yamaha-rana thingy!

8. And? All I can say is that I hope BAE Systems and all the other British defence contractors are getting in there and doing everything they can to get as many sales as possible. Hopefully the government should be helping as well.

9. And how are they going to get there? Re-enact Omaha Beach on the north coast of the Gulf? Re-enact Arnhem somewhere hot and sandy? The left flanking option could be problematic, if only because of traffic control problems while the Septics and ourselves get out of the way.

An invasion seems unlikely, and a few rockets onto each others cities seems a bit pointless. A few aircraft would make the Iranians miserable, I suppose.

10. The Saudis like having a big army. It shows how rich and powerful they are and it keeps their population relatively docile. It is just another expensive toy that they can show off to the world. It means nothing and has no intent. When Sadam was on their doorstep in Kuwait they didn't really front up - they screamed for their allies in the West.

They will not attack either Iran or Israel - they would break their shiney toys and get their aRRses kicked. They have shown no desire to get involved with Iraq either - they could easily deploy a peace-keeping force (that would arguably have some degree of neutrality and authority) - they don't want to.

11. The Saudis are sh1t scared of Iran now that Iraq is out of the picture, hence why they have brought Typhoon, but their stance is very much a defensive one. Tooling themselves up is simply a deterrent approach to tensions in the area.

12. You can have the best equipment in the world, but still need the human to operate it.

From personal experience, Saudi armed forces are not top drawer. There's a few good 'uns, but the mass of the armed forces are bone idle, unintelligent, and not arrsed.

To be fair to the lower ranks, their ruperts do treat them like sheeite.

In'shallah!

13. Agreed. If they had gone into Iraq they (almost certainly) would have brought the insurgency home, and that is the last thing they would have wanted! No nation on earth is going to 'do the right thing' if it is going to threaten their own security- least of all the Saudis.

14. I wonder how long the Saudi military, and in particular the Air Force, could function without western technicians and contractors?