Saudi women get the vote

Hardly the thin edge of the wedge considering it's for Municiple elections & they have limited powers in any case.

At least they're still not allowed to drive. (Hmmm, wonder where it says in the Koran that women can't drive cars?)

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
At least they're still not allowed to drive. (Hmmm, wonder where it says in the Koran that women can't drive cars?)
Probably the same place that says they can!

One of the links on that page says that technically they are allowed to drive, it's just the force of a medieval culture that keeps them from doing it - I'm not sure if that's better or worse, personally.

Nor are they allowed to be outside without an accompanying male relative.

In other words, they can now vote if their menfolk are prepared to let them.

I asked this of a mullah many moons ago… (you see what I did there? ;P)

Women rode beasts of burden, Aisha rode a camel, whereas horses were for men doing blokey fighting stuff, QED: Horses are men only kit.

Moving smartly onwards, cars replaced horses as the new blokey ride. QED: Cars are men only kit.

Makes perfect theocratic sense apparently.=|

I asked this of a mullah many moons ago… (you see what I did there? ;P)

Women rode beasts of burden, Aisha rode a camel, whereas horses were for men doing blokey fighting stuff, QED: Horses are men only kit.

Moving smartly onwards, cars replaced horses as the new blokey ride. QED: Cars are men only kit.

Makes perfect theocratic sense apparently.=|
So they can drive Transits then?

There could be a business opportunity here for a smart man - pink Transit vans could be the newest and most numerous vehicles on Riyadh's streets!

So they can drive Transits then?

There could be a business opportunity here for a smart man - pink Transit vans could be the newest and most numerous vehicles on Riyadh's streets!
I think it was the thought of women gripping phallic gearknobs that gave them the vapours.;P

"So, do I put my thumb print here Abdul?"
"No you daft bint, THERE, same as I done on my paper, Oy Vey! what a Mong"
"Is that right now dear?"
"thats it love, now you,ve voted, great feeling, innit?"
"Ohhh Yes Abdul, now I feel FREE"
"Yeah right, now **** off home and get my Cous Cous ready afor I belt you one"

Definitely the thin end of the wedge. Based on UK electoral experience, they can look forward to something like this in 60 or 70 years:-

"So, do I put my thumb print here Abdul?"
"No you daft bint, THERE, same as I done on my paper, Oy Vey! what a Mong"
"Is that right now dear?"
"thats it love, now you,ve voted, great feeling, innit?"
"Ohhh Yes Abdul, now I feel FREE"
"Yeah right, now **** off home and get my Cous Cous ready afor I belt you one"
From Bradford, perchance, Manley? Just fancied I heard a distant echo.

(To tell the truth, it smacks more down Barnsley way, but I wanted to keep the Muslim angle alive.)

They'll soon have political heroes who's only regard will be the welfare of the country.

They are just trying to head off riots in the streets and a couple of Typhoons and Apaches in their skies thats all. Trying to be all 'westernised' and Yooman rights friendly. It wont last long as the women will be told they arent allowed to vote in a Bhurkha as the adjudicator cant verify their identity, once they remove the veil they will be stoned on the spot as prostitutes, simple and really quite clever!