Saudi - safe place to work or avoid

Discussion in 'Syria, Mali, Libya, Middle East & North Africa' started by 2/51, Feb 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I need a heads up. There is the possibility if a job in Saudi, on bachelor status, working for the biggest oil company in the word.

It would be office based and I believe in a sort of expat compound (more a village)

Anyone with recent expereince of working there, what are the dangers, anything to ask my potential employers?

2. Judging by the lack of response, I guess Saudi is not a popular destination just now?
  3. Horses for courses. It would take a serious amount of cash to lure me out there. I find the Saudis some of the most repressed and hypocritical people I have met, and most of the expats see the place for the ugly cash cow it is and behave accordingly (i.e. often appallingly).

If like me you are a bit of an off-track tourist then from that perspective it is pretty safe, but there's not much to see.

Politically it is probably pretty safe (sadly, the place needs hauling into the modern age) and the security precautions taken by most expats are probably sufficient.
  4. It's probably changed a lot since I was there ('77 - '79) - oh no it hasn't :)

Most of us were there for the tax free $$$ into a Channel Islands or Swiss Bank on a two year contract with periodic bonuses. You will learn what it feels like to be (treated as) a second class citizen. Other than that, we had a ball - homemade beer and wine, not to mention Sid (Sidiqi), The bus full of nurses DID arrive - used to be Whitakers Hospitals were staffed by European and American nurses who were <ahem> eager for male company. Diving in the Red Sea, windsurfing on the hard pans and all the sand you can eat.

If you're naturally a dissatisfied whiner, forget it. You'll be truly miserable. If you have an open mind, go for it - when you get pissed off, review your bank account and Carry on Whoring ...
  5. Worked around North Africa and Middle East for 7 years late 90's early noughties, and Saudi was the worst...easily. I was lucky in that I was field based on seismic crews and we didn't have many Saudi's on the crew..(it would have mean't working, which the fat, idle, sods don't do).
    Sandy places are pretty much of a muchness, but saudi's have a degree of unjustified arrogance and slimyness which just doesn't exist anywhere else (outside of the palace of westminster).
    I was there on 9/11 and the scenes of unrestrained joy amongst the saudi's was sickening, but not surprising. If the money's OK go, but watch yourself and don't trust any of the bastards.
  6. I was there '81-'93, I'd round most of the M.E and Saudi was a real eye opener. You couldn't travel outside your designated area without special permission,Depending on your job description. It took a lot of getting used too.But I would think if you are going to work for Aramco-possibly in security you would be able to travel Kingdom wide.
  7. Worked there 2000 - 2005 training Saudis. Got to be the most arrogant idlest people on the face of this earth.All of the diversions mentioned above are still readily available according to former colleagues.

If you opt go , adopt the basic tenet of "Grin and bank it".
  8. Enjoy flipping your burgers for McDonalds..... Remember to ask if they want to go large on that???
  9. H3

H3 LE

Go for it ... You'll never know otherwise , worked in Oman for 6 trips , 5 on 5 off but out in the Field so I suspect the office compound life will be a doddle ... Possibly no booze but there's always some bugger with a contact !!

I'm settled for my 2 on 3 off in Norway .... :0)

What's the job and with who ..... Hope you don't mind me asking ?